Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • road riding + frozen toes
  • scruff9252

I’m doing the Edinburgh New Years day triathlon and went out for a ride today to familiarise myself with the climb and to get what I’m planning to wear sorted.

Good thing I did as after 30km my toes were completely numb with the cold. I was wearing normal cotton cycling socks, road shoes and neoprene over shoes. How can I improve this set up for minimal outlay, I could barely walk off the bike never mind run!

Would thermal insoles and thicker socks improve the set up? Clearly I’m not going to be buying £100+ new cycling shoes for the one fun event. Also considering those pocket warmers stuffed in my running shoes whilst I do the swim / cycle so they are toasty when I put them on…

CaptJon
    Free Member

Would thermal insoles and thicker socks improve the set up?

Yes

burton
    Free Member

Woolie boolie are good that’s what I wear

NormalMan

Tin foil over your toes (over the socks).

Don’t thank me, thank Matt Stephens / GCN.

iainc

Suggest you replace the cotton socks with decent wool ones, thick as poss without making them a squeeze as that will reduce circulation

njee20
    Free Member

Woolie boolie +1

tsurani
    Free Member

I put insulation tape over the vents on the soles of my shoe in the winter. That plus some
    woolie boolie and decent overshoes and I am good to go.

spursn17
    Free Member

These…

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/foot-warmers-5-pairs-id_8288864.html

They really work in cold conditions, don’t ask me how, ’tis magic 😀

onandon
    Free Member

Just back from a 45 mile spin and my Woolie boolie socks have kept me toasty.

scruff9252

Excelent, thanks for your suggestions, I’ll have a look around the local shops and see if i can find the Woolie boolies as suggested. Ta

plus-one

These are cracking for the money .. Used nothing else for 4 years as winter socks and spot on

http://www.costco.co.uk/view/product/uk_catalog/cos_3,cos_3.11,cos_3.11.2/144856

Onzadog
    Free Member

What are you doing to keep everything else warm? If you insulate the core and legs more, then the blood will be warmer when it reaches the toes. It’s all marginal gains though. Don’t pick one tip, use them all. Just be glad that triathlon is typically a summer sport.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

I put some sheep fleece in my toe box and that helps keep the toes warm. Other than that slip some freezer bags over your socks before putting your shoes on. The important thing is that the shoes/boots aren’t too tightly done up.

scaredypants

Would thermal insoles and thicker socks improve the set up?

Yes

[/quote]I think you may mean “no” or “maybe” there

OP, If your shoes are a good fit before this, thicker socks and insoles will a) cripple you and b) make your feet at least as cold as they were

Honestly, given you were wearing overshoes, I wonder if your shoes were too tight already

mtbel
    Free Member

As above. do your shoes up looser

maybe eat more pies too. It really wasn’t all that cold in Edinburgh this weekend.

scruff9252

The rest of me was fine tbh for the temp (2-3°c). I had skull cap under helmet, buff round neck, runniñg full sleeve base layer, long sleeved cycling jersey and wind proof on. Legs had my running rights with bib shorts over top. Im fairly certain my shoes were no too tight as I’m not overly fond of tight fitting shoes anyway.

Jamie
    Free Member

It’s the windchill that’s the issue. Tape up the vents, and/or use something like these:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/craft-neoprene-toe-cover/

…and wear some decent socks. I use some cheapo merino hiking ones.

mtbel
    Free Member

Ok. I’d have been too hot with all that gear on. (rode round Arthurs seat at 11pm lastnight). how about changing pedals and wearing whatever footwear you’d mtb in over the winter?

mtbel
    Free Member

jamie – can you possibly do a fancy GIF to show us all what neoprene overshoes with vents look like? never seen such a thing

alandavidpetrie79
    Free Member

Another vote for Woolie Boolie socks – can’t see past them.

I actually wear them all year round.

chakaping
    Free Member

On one thicky merino socks are pretty good.

BBB winter overshoes and those kept my toes comfy on today’s icy ride.

crazy-legs

Put a layer of insulating tape over the holes where the cleat bolts in. Overshoes are fine but right at the bottom of the shoe, in contact with a freezing cold metal plate are slots where all the cold air gets in…

Take the insole out, tape up those slots plus any other little vents, pop the insole back in and job done!

But +1 for thick woolly socks too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t go too thick on the socks, a woodie boolie is enough, better off having a belgian bootie under the neoprene overshoe as this adds warmth/small air gap but doesn’t cut off your circulation.

jamiep
    Free Member

pop into Planet X for a pair of their merino thicky socks. Ive probably a dozen pairs now and love them

matts
    Free Member

If you have very close fitting road shoes, then I find merino ski socks are good. The extra height up your calf keeps things toasty.

If you only have summer shoes with vents, then shoe covers keep the wind chill at bay.

The secret weapon is to put some charcoal toe warmers in. If you have enough room in the shoes, put some silk liner socks on, then warmers on top of the toes, then ski socks. If that’s too tight, just stick the warmers on your toes and pop the ski socks on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hot-Hands-Foot-Warmers-pairs/dp/B000YEZLD8/

Don’t do you shoes up too tight, as it will restrict your circulation.

burton
    Free Member

Went out last Sunday -3 on. A 40 mile loop half way round and my feet were freezing .. My own fault as I only had one pair of woolie boolies on … 😳
    Mite have to invest in over shoes ?

stevious

Another vote for ski socks (or longer socks in general). I suspect it just means you’re getting warmer blood from your lower leg into your feet but they seem to do the job for me.

Oh and the PX merino thickies are almost (but not quite) as good as woolie boolies. A good option if cash is tight and you need a few pairs though.

TiRed

Thicker wool socks and bigger shoes. Cramping the circulation will freeze your toes.

I ride with Sidi winter boots and wool socks. Never have cold feet. Wet, sometimes, cold, never.

They are a 45 rather than my usual 43-44.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Make sure your head, neck, knees and ankles are warm too.
    Long wooly socks, taped vents, neoprene overshoes.
    Still cold? … Move nearer the equator

mrblobby
    Free Member

Woolie boolies here too. Out for a few hours in them and neoprene overshoes last Sunday morning in freezing temps. As TiRed says, make sure your toes have wiggle room in the shoes. If it’s wet then mudguards help keep the freezing spray off your feet.

wilburt
    Free Member

Nothing you can do, wool socks( brand doesn’t matter) and overshoes help but if it’s cold enough they’ll still get a chill.

onehundredthidiot

Fortunately OH was at the mill sale so I’m using cashmere socks as liners which keeps my toes toasty.

deviant
    Free Member

On-One do some Merino wool socks that worked for me.

cookeaa

I put carrier bags over my shoes, under the overshoes. Oncs an overshoe gets saturated it simply conducts heat away and starts carrying moisture into the shoe, the bags act as a final barrier to water getting in and help trap air already warmed by your feet in the shoe (essentially stopping the shoe from breathing). It extends the time you can operate in the cold without your hoofs freezing but nothing will work forever…

FOG

I do as mtbel suggests and use spds and my MW81s through the winter. In fact last summer I didn’t bother to change pedals at all but bought some adapters to use two bolt cleats on my road shoes which has been fine. Even my roadie only mates are questioning whether road pedals give enough advantage over spds.

Alpha1653

Just tried the tin foil trick over a pair of socks in my normal shoes with overshoes. My toes have never been so warm from the off. Brilliant – thanks Normal Man!

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘road riding + frozen toes’ is closed to new replies.