Road riding: Bentham to Ilkley

Home Forum Bike Forum Road riding: Bentham to Ilkley

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Road riding: Bentham to Ilkley
  • dunmail

Hilly route: Bentham – Slaidburn – Bolton-by-Bowland – Nappa (on road between Long Preston and Gisburn) – Gargrave – Lothersdale – Crosshills – Silsden – Addingham – Ilkley

Less hilly route: Bentham – Keasden – Eldroth – Settle – Rathmel – Wigglesworth – Hellifield – Otterburn – Bell Busk – Gargrave – Carleton – Skipton – Embsay – Bolton Abbey – back road to Ilkley

Premier Icon martinhutch

Obviously avoiding the A65 almost completely would be my priority. That will be much easier if you go slightly up into the Dales, and the ride itself is pretty spectacular, but the payoff is a tough climb out of Settle.

Bentham – Clapham – Austwick – Little Stainforth – Settle – Airton – Winterburn – Hetton – Skipton – Embsay – Bolton Abbey – Beamsley – Ilkley

There are good tea stops at Clapham, Settle, Airton (farm shop just north of village), Skipton and Bolton Abbey.

the teaboy

Which way would you go?

I quite fancy going over the hill from Bentham to Slaidburn but then get lost between huge A-roads and tiny, windy little roads.

Is there a straightforward, logical route that I’ve missed? Would it be better going through the Dales instead?

the teaboy

Thanks chaps. I hardly know anywhere south of the A65 so this is really helpful.

I like the climb out of Settle – the passing place half-way up was like a hospital ward for cramp on last year’s White Rose Classic!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Road riding: Bentham to Ilkley’ is closed to new replies.