Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)
  • Road riding and all that it is….
  • This isn’t meant to be antagonistic and has possibly/probably/undoubtedly been done before, but – is there no possibility of a separate forum?

Now, I have nothing against roadies, it doesn’t exactly ‘ruin’ the forum having roadie threads in here, but at the same time, I (and I suspect others) have no interest in reading about road riding.

So, at the end of the day, it’s no massive deal, maybe it doesn’t bother others, it’s just a thought. Maybe roadies would embrace it too??

warton
    Free Member

I think a separate forum for Mountain biking would be more appropriate these days 🙂

tomhoward

It’s from reading about road bikes/riding in the bike section that I now have a road bike, and enjoy road riding. Had there been a separate forum, I’d never have clicked on it.

HTH

Kryton57

Don’t read the threads?

Its all bikes at the end of the day…

ahwiles
    Free Member

the chaotic jumble of topics is the secret of this forum’s success.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

It doesn’t bother me.

Junkyard
    Free Member

I (and I suspect others) have no interest in reading about road riding.

TOP TIP

Dont open or read links about subjects you dont have any interest in

Jamie
    Free Member

The world is divided enough as it is. Let’s not separate our baggy and skintight clad brothers and sisters.

Can I get an AMEN!

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

So long as ‘overview’ showed all the sections jumbled together in last post order I wouldn’t mind separate sections for those that like to filter.

Kryton57

tomhoward – Member
    It’s from reading about road bikes/riding in the bike section that I now …..

HTH

…wear bibs under my baggies. Scoff if you like, but Bibs are a revelation.

Kryton57 – Member

Don’t read the threads?

Its all bikes at the end of the day…

It’s not always obvious – as I said, it doesn’t ruin the forum per se, I can always click off the thread again

Have never ‘got’ the ‘it’s all bikes’ thing – I’ve not read Singletrack mag for a while, but doubt it’s littered with features about 10lb carbon race bikes.

I’m into mtb’ing. That’s where it ends.

officialtob
    Free Member

the chaotic jumble of topics is the secret of this forum’s success.

+1 and I genuinely believe it too.

If there were different subsections I’d never bother to check them individually; I like to just click on ‘Forum’ and have a scan through all the lovely random threads that have been posted. It pleases me that they vary from “What tyres for…” to “BabyTrackWorld Advice please..” – and I read both types! 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

i would like seperate forums for road, mtb, drivetrain, frame, camelback, wheels/tyres, drivetrain, arm warmers etc

If i need to know about armwarmers then i can find the section all about arm warmers without having to wade through ‘what knee warmers for the commute.’ etc

Thanks

crikey
    Free Member

Feeling a little trollish, just start an obviously obvious thread to provoke argument.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I (and I suspect others) have no interest in reading about road riding.

Just give it time 😉

joolsburger
    Free Member

The darkside is strong I’m afraid. However tipping at full tilt through the ferns on Holmbury hill at 8am on Sunday reminded my just how much more enjoyable MTB really is. Think the forum is fine as is though.

No, not feeling trollish crikey, so back in your box.

No need for any other hot under the collar answers either – I said it was no biggie and just a thought.

I’d genuinely like to see a separate forum, if the general concensus says otherwise, then it’s not a problem.

IanW
    Free Member

Thought this thread was about road riding, disappointed and out of here.

micky
    Free Member

I love both so like having them together. Im not 100% roadie so prefer to dabble a little on the occasional road post on here. Theres not that many posts on balance anyway is there? Now the tour is over there will be a lot less. I can’t understand how somebody can love one and not the other if your passionate about cycling.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

I’m into mtb’ing. That’s where it ends.

All elements of mountain biking? fat bikes? fixed gear off road? XC orienteering? cyclocross?

IanW
    Free Member

Actually I do have a view- Isn’t Road just a natural progression from MTB in the cyclists career?

As such they are better off together.

jekkyl

I saw a big fat roadie in full sky team gear this morning but he had a really shit bike, was driving so couldn’t take a picture. There’s no-one like that here is there?

Jamie
    Free Member

cyclocross

Actually, where would cyclocross fit in if there was a 2 forums?

crikey
    Free Member

TAFKAS, it’s working very well.

nickc

It says ‘bike forum’ I think that pretty much covers it really

Jamie
    Free Member

TAFKAS, it’s working very well.

Oi! Get back in your box.

I can’t understand how somebody can love one and not the other if your passionate about cycling.

Why so hard to understand?

I’m passionate about mtb’ing, the fact that involves using a mode of transport vaguely resembling road riding is coincidental to me.

I’m sure plenty of MX riders aren’t particularly interested in reading about Moto GP

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Can I get an AMEN!

Amen

Agree with most of the comments above and the other threads that have already asked the same question. I ride on and off-road and the great thing about this place is the mix. I can tolerate Bike v Chat forum but wouldn’t want to get like so many other sites out there that have dozens of different forum.

tomhoward

There’s no-one like that here is there

*Raises hand* 😳 though I’m not fat…

crikey
    Free Member

[man in box]
    It’s still working
    [/man in box]

😉

crazy-legs

Actually, where would cyclocross fit in if there was a 2 forums?

Ah, you need a third forum for that. 😉

I hate separate forums – try looking at BikeRadar and the million subforums it’s got, it’s hideous.

forzafkawi
    Free Member

Be careful what you wish for. Look at MTBR and RoadBikeReview and just see how many forums you could end up having to scan through to find the threads you do or do not want to read.

Over the years that I have been on STW I have seen it go from almost exclusively off-road chat to maybe 50-50 now which is interesting as it is fronted by an MTB mag.

Just shows how successful the forum has been and maybe indicates the number of off-roaders being seduced by the dark side. I came the other way and must admit enjoy all forms of cycling which I’m sure a lot of people here do. Each discipline has its pros and cons and I find doing one usually helps performance in the other.

mrblobby
    Free Member

but wouldn’t want to get like so many other sites out there that have dozens of different forum.

This for me. The variety is what makes the forum.

Jamie
    Free Member

Be careful what you wish for, OP*

*Although I know you are only asking for 1 extra forum, and not the clusterfunk that is the BR forums.

Edric64
    Free Member

I’m into( mtb’ing) cycling . That’s where it ends

tomhoward

But thats why it works Jamie, because each forum is so specific, there is only one thread per subforum…. 😉

…I notice you missed of the ‘commuter’ and ‘classifieds’ sections 😉

I actually do agree implicitly about MTBR et al

crikey – now who’s trolling 😉

RealMan
    Free Member

Can we have a section for people that slam?

tinsy
    Free Member

I have never had a road bike*, I like the threads. *I have a Raleigh Pursuit on permanent loan somewhere.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have a bash at most stuff just had a couple of weekends time trialing .This week its back on the dirt for the 24hr at Newnham .Personally I like everything together we are an eclectic bunch and seem to do every form of riding between us .It`s good to see views and opinion on other things (and take the mick)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 77 total)

The topic ‘Road riding and all that it is….’ is closed to new replies.