Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Road riders- how to carry more water?
  • jonb
    Free Member

No, not a camelback, it's really uncomfortable on my roadbike and makes my back hurt.

So, I want to start doing longer rides 6hours and more. I've tried to pursuade friends to follow me in the car and hand me bags of food and bottles of water but they make excuses about "being busy".

I currently carry 2x750ml bottle but when it warms up that is normally only good for upto 4 hours. What do people do? I don't want to have to stop to refil if at all possible as that means I have to plan these into my route.

I thought about getting some of the triathalon style seatpost mounted things but they interfer with a saddle bag. Any suggestions or experience. I'm currently on taking a cheap bottle in a jersey pocket that I can ditch in the nearest bin when empty.

JoB
    Free Member

what do people do?

i stop at garages/cafes/shops, there's quite a few around so not too hard to pass then on route

tonyg2003

errr most people stop and buy water/fill up – carry some energy powder in ready to add amounts.

"So, I want to start doing longer rides 6hours and more. I've tried to pursuade friends to follow me in the car and hand me bags of food and bottles of water but they make excuses about "being busy"."!!

Gary_M
    Free Member

As above, stop at a shop. Carry a daft wee cable lock which will stop someone nicking your back for the seconds it takes to get in/out the shop. On a 6 hour ride, say 100 miles, I'm sure you pass a shop. You could also stop at a farmhouse, for example, and ask to fill your bottles.

Having someone follow you in a car whilst you do a 6 hour ride is ridiculous, I presume you're joking.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

why don't you drive round the route before riding it, dropping off water bottles at various points, maybe hidden in the bushes?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Have we stumbled upon the worlds most un environmentally friendly cyclist? 😆

taxi25
    Free Member

why don't you drive round the route before riding it, dropping off water bottles at various points, maybe hidden in the bushes?

I used to do that for long runs (15-20m)in hot weather. But it would be silly to do it for a 100m bike ride. Just stop off and buy what you need.

jonb
    Free Member

Having someone follow you in a car whilst you do a 6 hour ride is ridiculous, I presume you're joking.

Errrr, yes!

zaskar
    Free Member

Cafes, petrol stations and Tesco/sainsburys or water fountains?

Also Topeak do a bottle cage that will hold a 2 litre bottle of water lol.

Bottle cage on the seat post too.

Food bag of electrolyte and energy bars.

There are comfy bladders built into road jerseys if you want to spend that sort of money…

Get sponsership or knock on someones door for water in exchange for chocolate.

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

boxelder

One of the 14 year olds I teach came up with an ingenious water solution for desert survival – dehydrated water, then you can carry loads and all you do is add water……….

qwerty
    Free Member

captain_spaulding
    Free Member

crikey
    Free Member

What a massive non-problem!

Just buy water and Coke from garages.
    No need for any locks, no need to cart around extra weight.

clubber
    Free Member

As above. Pubs will also usually let you fill your water bottles. Brings cash if not for garages and for food.

Can't believe that you'd seriously ask someone to follow you in a car though!

shedfull
    Free Member

How about a couple of these mounted on the bars with a cage and 1.5l bottle in each?

Alternatively, Topeak do some seatpost mounted racks and bags that would keep you gear and fluids off your back.

Sandwich

Buy 1 litre bottles from Wiggle

t-p26
    Free Member

Put a trailer on the back and carry the "extra" in there 😀

Mackem

Seal up the tubes of your bike, make a small hole in the top-tube. Use hole to fill bike tubes with water, then put a long straw into the hole. Job done.

edhornby

are you fully hydrated before you go out? sounds like a lot of fluid….

DenDennis
    Free Member

you could put a urine filter system into your bike shorts then rig up some kind of perpetual motion sealed unit affair 😆

westkipper
    Free Member

Why dont you get the moped rider who's doing the motor-pacing in front to carry some water for you.
    You do have a chap who motor-paces dont you?, Most roadies do. 😉

oldgit
    Free Member

I resorted to buying and carrying a 2 litre bottle in my back pocket on one hot ride.
    Unless you leave water out before hand you'll need to get some en route.
    I use MUNN tablets and add on the go.

oldgit
    Free Member

It made a usefull shower as well, mad dogs and Englishmen and all that.
    Plus my bike only carries one bottle, stopping at a village shop will only cost you a few seconds.

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

Start the ride with two large bottles full of sports drink, plus some energy bars of choice. Stop at petrol station en route and buy either H2O or Lucozade sport, flap jacks if solids needed.

I'd be "busy" too if someone asked me to follow them on a 6 hour ride to hand up bottles, unless they paid me for my time & fuel costs 😯

epicyclo

I know it's not fashionable now, but we used to ride all day with just a water bottle and refill from any stream.

Why not get your missus to ride alongside carrying all the spare water? 🙂

MrTall
    Free Member

One of these?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=4962

Means you can have a 1.5l bottle and another 750ml as usual assuming your frame is big enough?

headfirst
    Free Member

2 x 1 litre bike bottles from wiggle

breakneckspeed
    Free Member

Err isn’t why café stop were invented?

Also don’t ride through the Vale of York on a Saturday as it is mainly shut – did a very dry ride through there a couple of years ago – it was drier then the Sahara not much fun on a 5 hour ride

Kuco

If your that concerned about stopping try one of these. Though I just stop at a shop or garage.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/triathlon/10/Profile_Aqua_Rear_Mount_Bottle_Cage_System/5360036039/

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Just ride in the rain with your mouth open.

samuri
    Free Member

you could put a urine filter system into your bike shorts then rig up some kind of perpetual motion sealed unit affair

yeah but then he'll lose the nice taste.

I'd suggest just taking one bottle, anyone who drinks more than that is doing it wrong.

jonb
    Free Member

So I've narrowed my choices down to one of these

or one of these

I think the first one is more practical, as it also solves the problem of punctures too.

cullen-bay
    Free Member

camelback racepack?

maybe makes it look like ou have (bigger) moobs?

langy
    Free Member

I use a two bottle, under seat rack and can still get the saddle bag on fine; if you need to get into the saddle bag, it's usually cos you've stopped anyway (be flat or to get out a phone/cash etc), so not like you need overly easy access the whole time.

That, plus two in the frame, then refill as needs be from wherever en route. A few ziploc bags with a bottles worth of drink mix in for when you do, all sorted.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Road riders- how to carry more water?’ is closed to new replies.