Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Road race bikes – Anyone ditched carbon?
  • crazy-legs

If you’re a sprinter like me then having a carbon frame is good, but arguably alu would be better as it’s probably less flexy.

You can build carbon any way you want to make it stiff or compliant.
    Chris Hoy seems to get by fine on a carbon bike and I’m guessing he puts out more power than you do. 😉

Mike_D
    Free Member

^ WHS. Also, go find an old Alan if you think aluminium bikes are inherently stiff 😉

MrSmith
    Free Member

if you want a steel race bike then don’t go for a heavy lugged stovepipe mercian or BJ but get something oversize from the likes of rourke, enigma or if you can stretch the budget a pegoretti or zullo.

there are a few people racing the hillingdon/crystal palace races on steel frames but they are of the modern lightweight oversize type.

simonb512
    Free Member

He does, but cheaper carbon frames seem to have this problem and I imagine he doesnt use the cheap frames and infact probably has a more custom frame.

BIGMAN
    Free Member

Not all of them are riding Leggero’s…

Did you see the tour or britian? And the IG index crits?

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

TDF bikes arenot allowed to weigh less than 6.8kg which can be achieved with any of the mentioned frame materials with lightweight components bolted on . The fact that all the pros ride carbon tells you what is the best material performance wise . Given that most carbon frames from the big manufacturers come with a good warranty I think you would be foolish to go for anything else .

JoB
    Free Member

i ride and race a steel frame, when i’m riding i love my steel frame, when i’m racing i wish i had a carbon one

ahwiles
    Free Member

…The fact that all the pros ride carbon tells you what is the best material performance wise…

nah, a carbon frame can have a much more surface area for logos – that’s all.

it’s all about branding/sponsorship, bigger logos are better, so the pros ride CFRP frames.

see?

(but you wouldn’t if he was riding a skinny steel/ti frame)

TheDoctor
    Free Member

The fact that all the pros ride carbon tells you what is the best material performance wise

Er NO! the pro’s ride what they are TOLD/PAID to ride, there is very little choice in that!

i ride and race a steel frame, when i’m riding i love my steel frame, when i’m racing i wish i had a carbon one

Do you REALLY think you would notice the difference?? Material choice is secondary to build and fit, far more performance differences in those two than what you build it out of!

BIGMAN
    Free Member

We’re not talking about Pros here tho are we. Just your average jo bloggs.

I admit i have a high end carbon race bike but… I also own a steel race bike i would race at places like crystal palace and other town centre crits. You want somthin you don’t mind crashing that you can see damage.

Personally i will be buying one of these soon just for crit racing…

Condor Super Acciaio Frameset | Race ready, performance steel

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Road race bikes – Anyone ditched carbon?’ is closed to new replies.