• This topic has 34 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nathb.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Road question: 105 worth upgrading to from Sora?
  • nathb
    Free Member

I’ve recently built a cheap chinese carbon commuter (CCCC) with sora shifters/front mech, 105 chainset, deore shadow rear mech (basically what I had in the parts bin). ( http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/chinese-carbon-cr3flx-fr-602ac059cx-002 )

However I think I’m enjoying it more than my alu “racer” Felt F95 (also fitted with sora gears but with an ultegra chainset, 105 brakes and quattro wheels). The CCCC feels just as fast yet more comfortable as I’m finding carbon soaks up a lot of road buzz.

So the question is; is there a noticeable difference and it is worth the £135? I did find that I needed an inbetween gear the other day when tanking it, but I’m not sure if I’m making excuses to purchase it or not.

Thoughts? 😈

rOcKeTdOg

The levers feel nicer in the hand, otherwise na

scotroutes

The newest Tiagra is actually really nice. Watch for brake lever throw though – there are some inconsistencies across the groups.

amedias
    Free Member

Depends on which Sora and which 105..

looking at your pic they look like 9speed 3500 Sora, which is actualyl pretty good budget kit, works well, slightly klunkier and heavier but good enough.

If you want to go 105 then you’re looking at a jump to 11speed as well (unless you’re going to go for older), which will mean new cassette, chain and mech as well,a nd can your wheels take the 11sp cassette?

Previous two generations of 105 are both 10speed, 5700 is one to avoid for reliability but similar shape hoods/ergonomics to the current 5800 11speed.
    5600 105 is similar shape to your current Sora and wouldn’t get you mcuh except a tiny reduction in weight and an extra cog, marginally better shifting (when new).

If you’re sticking 9speed then the old 105 stuff won’t likely feel any better than your current Sora, however…the new 3000 Sora stuff feels pretty damn good for the level it’s pitched at and is simialr in shape to current 11speed stuff.

If you’re constrained by wheels to 10sp or less and want to move to the newer shape hoods/shifters with underbar routing then I’d consider the current Tiagra group (4700), it’s cheap enough and very very good for the money, but you will still need to replace the shifters, mech and cassette.

So the question is; is there a noticeable difference and it is worth the £135?

So In summary, it is noticeable, whether or not you care or prefer one over the other will be personal, and whether or not it’s worth it is up to you. For a commuter personally I stick with what’s robust, reliable and cheap for consumables, which precludes carbon frames for me so we may do ‘commuting bike’ differently, considering mine is metal, weighs a ton, has 38c tyres, and racks at both ends and a trailer hitch we may have different priorities 😉

nathb
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Yeah the wheels are compatible and I’m looking at upgrading 3500 to 5800.

The only thing I need to purchase are:
    Shifters £88
    Cassette £22
    Front Mech £15 (assuming the sora isn’t compatible)
    Sram Chain £13

Oops it’s £138..

amedias
    Free Member

You’ll need to do the rear mech too unless you have one already as the 11sp pull ratio is different.

It’ll be a decent upgrade, if you’ve got the money and want to spend it then I’m sure you’ll be pleased 🙂

(£88 is a good price for the shifters too, where’s that?)

nathb
    Free Member

Yeah I bought a 105 rear mech a few months ago when it was on offer from Merlin. Couldn’t get it to work with Sora shiters so it’s sat in the box ever since. 🙄

Are you wanting to purchase them too?

mikey74
    Free Member

I’ve got Sora on my CX bike and 105 on my road bike: 105 is very much a worthy upgrade from Sora IMO.

nathb
    Free Member

105: Sold 😛

Now to sell the Sora stuff to recoup before the missus notices 😈

gastromonkey
    Free Member

You’re doing the right thing. My old road bike which I’ve kept for winter use was sora, my new road bike is 105 and the difference is massive.

Enjoy 105.

hopkinsgm

As noted above, the lever shape on the more recent 105 is nicer than you tend to get at Sora level, and routing cables under the tape is so much neater. Speaking of which, you appear to have forgotten to allow for fresh bar tape in your sums 😉

nathb
    Free Member

Thanks guys, got loads of bar tape!

I got £5.27 cashback too (if they pay it!)

That’s Shifters, Front Mech and cassette for £121.36! 🙂

Just need to order a chain now.

I got the kit from here: https://www.probikekit.co.uk/ via topcashback using the code “mvc1stpbk” for 12% off up to £20.

matts
    Free Member

Good choice. 105 5800 is surprisingly good. I would even venture to suggest that it’s better than the Dura-Ace 7900 I have on my race bike.

amedias
    Free Member

the lever shape on the more recent 105 is nicer than you tend to get at Sora level, and routing cables under the tape is so much neater

And this is why I always want people to clarify which model they mean, as current (as in newest latest 3000 version) Sora is the same shape and underbar routed!

And people often end up saying things like my $NEWGROUP is sooo much better than my $OLDGROUP when a lot of the time they’re not clarifying that their not just upgrading within the same generation, but a generation jump too, which is kind of to be expected, but current lower end can be as good or better than a level up but 1-2 generations ago.

nathb
    Free Member

Forgot to mention, 105 chainset for £47.51 anyone? http://www.probikekit.co.uk/bicycle-cranksets-and-chainrings/shimano-105-fc-5800-standard-bicycle-chainset-black/10971924.html

Edit: The new Sora groupset looks nice! 5900 to follow?!

hopkinsgm

And this is why I always want people to clarify which model they mean, as current (as in newest latest 3000 version) Sora is the same shape and underbar routed!

😳 sorry amedias 😳

mattbee

Wife has current gen 105 on road bike and Tiagra on CX. Other than the obvious 11 or 10 speed difference the 105 shift feels smoother & it’s a bit lighter but tbh the new Tiagra is really nice. I’d struggle to justify the upgrade tbh.

vincienup
    Free Member

I had 3500 Sora on my old X, now it’s 5700 with CX70 crank. I’ve got 5800 on my Crosslight.

The 3500 Sora is really good. I swapped the Compact rings for 36/46 Durals fairly early, but otherwise I rode it until I smashed it (and my collarbone) in the ice. The 5700 was a noticeable improvement of a little frustrating to get routing right on initially. The 5800 is more of the same with maybe slightly nicer shift. Can’t comment on the brakes as I’ve got BR517’s on the X and SpyreC’s on the Crosslight.

Would I upgrade a working 3500 drivetrain ? Only if money was no object or I really wanted 10 or 11 speed for cadence control. I’d be sorely tempted to put some money into nicer wheels if you really want an upgrade now, and wait until you wear out some bits. Didn’t read too closely but I thought I saw an ‘… only need …’ forming. Don’t be tempted to skimp on a group set upgrade like this if you want the best results. Cable pulls are different for the gears and brakes over older Shimano, even the front mech is worth changing if going 3500>5700 or above and definitely the brakes.

amedias
    Free Member

sorry amedias

thats OK,I’ll let you off, mostly because after reading my post I come across as an insufferable pedantic bike-nerd, which I am, but I don’t want people to notice 😳

vincienup
    Free Member

Isn’t everyone on STW without a pitchfork to burn an insufferable bike pedant nerd? 🙂

Embrace it! 😀

hopkinsgm

…insufferable pedantic bike-nerd…

Speaking of which… Can anyone enlighten me as to WTF is going on with Shimano numbering lately? R3500 Sora to be replaced by R3000 Sora? 😐

amedias
    Free Member

no, no i can’t is bloody annoying and going to cause soooo much confusion 😕

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve got the later generation 10sp 105 on my Giant Defy, and 11sp 105 (Hydro discs) on my Arkose.

The 10 speed works really well as long as it is kept clean – it is a bit crap when the jockey wheels/mech/chain are dirty.
    I really like the hood shape though.

The 11 speed Hydro is nicer. Much smoother gear change + generally quieter. I don’t like the hood shape though – but this is due to the Hydro-reservoir being hidden inside.

I might upgrade my Defy to 11sp 105 next year – I love the bike and have a really nice wheel set on it (Hope+Pacenti) which are 11speed compatible.

ransos
    Free Member

Good choice. 105 5800 is surprisingly good. I would even venture to suggest that it’s better than the Dura-Ace 7900 I have on my race bike.

Yep. It’s nicer than the Ultegra 6700 it replaced – better brakes and quicker front shifting, rear about the same. It’s really good value, too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Speaking of which… Can anyone enlighten me as to WTF is going on with Shimano numbering lately? R3500 Sora to be replaced by R3000 Sora?

If we are being pedantic then outgoing Sora is 3500 not R3500.

burko73

hijack alert –

who’s doing the best deal on the hydro brake 105 thesedays? I could do with an upgrade on my escapade. The one I’ve seen at Merlin comes with direct mount calipers and I need standard calipers.

burko73

bump…

nathb
    Free Member

Loving the cable tension guide, works perfectly, so glad I didn’t have to fit a inline barrel adjuster!
    Stupid question;
    What are the little silver things?!

nathb
    Free Member

Oops I’ve found out.

I’ll be adding it later! 🙄

andysmiff1
    Free Member

^

I found out what they were just after throwing them in the bin………

Luckily I managed to recover them!!!

A

nathb
    Free Member

I can add them without removing the mech though, right? 😥

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Ummmm, maybe………

I “just” managed to by slackening off the braze-on bolt and swinging mech around and carefully (fiddly) slotted it behind the mech.

Managed to do that without needing to re-index it all.

A

nathb
    Free Member

Excuse the mud, I went through some puddles earlier 😆

Hopefully that’s how it is supposed to be fitted?!

andysmiff1
    Free Member

Yup!

A

nathb
    Free Member

Cheers andysmiff1!

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Road question: 105 worth upgrading to from Sora?’ is closed to new replies.