Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road Puncture Woes, TL tyre advice.
  • mcnultycop

I’ve had 5 punctures in 2 rides on the new road bike this week (I say new, 3,000km done on it since March). Tubed Mavic Ksyrium Disc wheels with non-TL Conti 5000s, 28mm. I’ve had 4 rear and one front puncture, none of them had anything left in the tyre and they all seem to be in different places, generally on the outer edge of the tube and they don’t seem like pinch punctures.
    Not that it matters but they all happened in the driving rain. “Luckily” the last one was about 500m from the National Cycling Centre so I ran in Evans for more tubes.

I’m tubeless on my other road bike (Pro Ones on Hope 20 Five) but find the tyres can cut easily. I’m going to go Tubeless on the new bike. I don’t fancy Pro-Ones I’d TL Conti 5000s (and heard the latter don’t match well with the mavic rims). I’m looking at the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm TLR Folding on Merlin which get good reviews, does anyone on here have any experience of them?

The Mavic rims seem to be pre taped (looks like one wrap of a blue green tape) so it shouldn’t be too tricky to set up.

crazy-legs

Conti have woeful quality control. Good ones are good but bad ones are just a disaster from start to finish. I’m willing to bet it’s just a shit batch of tyres (or, if you’re using Conti tubes it’s more likely to be them).

FWIW, no issues at all with my tubeless Schwalbe Pro Ones. Do check that they’re the most recent though, Schwalbe have a few tyres with very similar names.

akira

Not tried the gp5000 with mavic rims but they’ve gone up fine on Dt Swiss and JRA for me and no punctures so far. Couldn’t get them on Giant branded carbon rims though, nowhere near.

razorrazoo

I’ve been on those Hutchinsons In 28mm flavour for the past year or so since going tubeless. Done a fair few miles now and not had a puncture, tyres roll and grip well and not showing any considerable wear. Went up with track pump first go on DTSwiss rims.

13thfloormonk

Don’t Hutchinson make Mavic’s UST tyres for them anyway? Probably a good bet that they’ll be the best match.

mcnultycop

That was part of my thinking with the Hutchinson tyres, ordered a pair from Merlin.

Cheers all.

scaredypants

Sorry this is late and won’t “help”

I had one of those hutchies on the back – wasn’t awful flimsy (like, say, an original pro-one before they beefed them up) but it did start to weep from quite a few points well before it wore out so I took it off (never failed to get me home though)

(New Forest flinty shite round here, YMMV)

Specialized roubaix pro toobliss or whatever they call it is what I’ve had most luck with

ransos
    Free Member

I’m looking at the Hutchinson Fusion 5 Performance 11 Storm TLR Folding on Merlin which get good reviews, does anyone on here have any experience of them?

I have them. They went on easily and inflated with a track pump. I’ve only done a few rides so far but no problems. They have much better wet grip than the hateful Pro Ones.

benman
    Free Member

I’ve got Hutchinson Fusion 5’s tubeless on 3 different bikes, on 3 different wheelsets, in 25/28mm and in All season and Performance compounds. I’ve got nothing but praise for all of them. My oldest set has done 2 winters, riding at least twice a week. 3000+ miles on that pair

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I have tubeless 5000s on both bikes. My genesis has ksyriums and they are a bitch to fit on there. They will fit on, but you will curse doing it.

Used to have cosmic pros on the other bike and could fit the 5000s with no tools.

The mavic yksion tubeless tyres were also good – and the hutchison (I forget which model) fit well on mavics.

Flaperon

The mavic yksion tubeless tyres were also good

Would agree with this. ^^

13thfloormonk

Any info on real world widths for the Hutchinsons?

My Conti GP 4 Seasons measure up as 27mm on 19mm internal rims, can’t go much bigger. How wide is a Hutchinson 25mm?

Ta

Edit: Road.cc review suggests they are ‘true to size’ e.g. 25mm = 25mm. No info on rim width right enough.

benman
    Free Member

I would say the Hutchinson’s are definitely narrower than the Contis. My Hutchinson 28’s are like a Conti 25.

mcnultycop

I’m probably going to give myself the tubeless kiss of death here, but they were the easiest tyres I’ve ever set up. On by hand, went up with the track pump, seemed to stay up fine, popped sealant in (the hardest part as I thought I’d try tyre yoghurt and put it in an only Stans bottle and it kept blocking the nozzle in the end, which can only be a good sign in terms of actually sealing holes).

Let’s see how they are in the morning.

joat

Again this is a bit late but these threads last to help others. I find my Hutchinsons a bit weepy, they are only tiny pinholes so I don’t think they’re punctures as such. They hold air better than my previous Schwalbe Pro ones ironically. The rubber seems tougher than the Schwalbes and have fewer cuts and nicks but are visually smaller in 25mm. Running on Prime aluminium rims they take quite a good pressure to seat and pop off a bit easy with pressure loss, but this is most likely the rim.

mcnultycop

I had the first ride on the Hutchinsons yesterday and all seemed well, no noticeable difference in terms of how well they rolled compared to the Contis (to me, any way) and they gripped equally as well. We did a couple of gravel strewn back lanes with some muddy patches and they were fine there.

I was probably running them a bit hard, at about 78/83 but I’ll experiment with reducing the pressures over the next few rides.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road Puncture Woes, TL tyre advice.’ is closed to new replies.