Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road plus/gravel tyres on a budget?
  • Bez

After finding some cheap spokes on eBay I’m finally getting round to building some 650b wheels from bits I’ve had kicking about for ages.

Not sure what I’m going to be able to fit in the frame and fork (maybe 50mm, almost certainly nothing more, especially as the rims are 23mm) or whether I’ll like it, so I’m looking at budget tyres. If money were no object I’d probably be looking at Gravel King SKs or Byways.

I seem to have a shortlist of the following suitable-looking treads at under £15 a pop:
    – Kenda Komfort
    – Schwalbe Big Ben
    – Continental Double Fighter III

Inevitably at that price range they’re all fairly porky at 800g or so, but I don’t mind that too much if they don’t feel wooden and lifeless.

Anyone got any experience of those, or any other ideas?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

What about Panaracer Gravel Kings? Great looking tyres, good price, and crucially, #skinwalls!

Oops, didn’t see the £15 bit. Sorry.

Bez

What, the ones I mentioned up there? 😉

Yeah, I’d go for those (and may yet do so), but the cheapest I can find is about £55 a pair. Which is fine, I’m just not feeling that level of commitment yet 🙂

Also I’m not sure I’m ready to deal with the option of skinwalls. Last time I bought one of those was 1992 and I’m having trouble deciding whether I’ll love them or hate them.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s been a long afternoon! 🍻

Bez

We’ve all done it 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😁

I was looking at GKs in the LBS yesterday, and they really do look rather excellent. I have Ritchey Alpine JB WCS on mine, but I don’t think there’s a 650 option. Oh, and they’re very much not in your price bracket, sadly.

Either way, skinwalls are 37.28% better. This is a science fact.

charliem
    Free Member

Have a look on PX, few things that fit the bill. Conti race kings & clement xplor mso are both £13 if you can fit 650×50, £21 for the clements in 42c.

Bez

Thanks, hadn’t spotted the Race Kings.

jameso

Big Bens are tough/wooden tyres. Kenda Koasts are pretty good if you can find them. Some EU places could deliver – https://www.ridewill.it/p/en/kenda-982752202-tire-koast-sport-275×175-k1082-22tpi-black/110443/

PJay
    Free Member

As above, Planet X & On-One are worth a look for cheap tyres. I think that I’d be looking at the Clement X’Plor MSO; it looks like you could get a 50mm set in 650b (I don’t think that any under 120tpi are tubeless compatible though – I could be wrong).

trailwagger
    Free Member

Panaracer do another tyre, hardpack something or other, I will find it for later.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

@trailwagger Panaracer Comet?

trailwagger
    Free Member

Yeah that’s them. Get ok reviews given the price. One problem though is no tubeless version.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road plus/gravel tyres on a budget?’ is closed to new replies.