ROAD pedals with an MTB shoe?

Home Forum Bike Forum ROAD pedals with an MTB shoe?

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • ROAD pedals with an MTB shoe?
  • druidh

Shimano A520 or Ritchey V4 Micro Road. Both take an MTB-style cleat, neither has the “power transfer efficiency” of a proper road cleat though.

Rambo

Shimano do SPD road pedals that you can use.
    They are basically 1 sided spd.

I got some so I can use the same shoes on all my bikes.

cynic-al

Don’t think you can have your cake and eat it in this instance.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Crank brothers quatros are what you want. You can use the same cleats in your crank brothers eggbeaters MTB pedals and use the shoe for dual duties.

Cake had and eaten!

druidh

cynic-al – Member

Don’t think you can have your cake and eat it in this instance.

You can always have your cake and eat it. What you can’t do is eat your cake and have it.

brakes

thanks for the comments, the Shimano A520s were the ones I was considering

I do like those crank brothers ones though, they look pretty nice
    dual sided entry is beneficial too as my commute has 20 sets of traffic lights in a 4 mile stretch
    is there any float with them? looks like there isn’t

mtbmatt

I just use Crank Brothers Candys on my road bike.

Your shoes are not the stiffest in the world, so is there really any point in having the most efficient pedals? I doubt there is much difference between MTB and road pedals in any case.

I don’t think quattros will work with MTB shoes because of the platform size.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

Float is ok – you can set the release angle to 15 or 20 degree (from memory) and they float up to that point.

I bought these when I did the Fred Whitton challenge in the Lakes and was unsure if I’d have to walk or not so wanted to use my mtb shoes. I had Spec shoes too and had to just cut away a small amount of grip around the axle to take account of the bulge of the bearing housing on the pedal – nothing major.

I now use them on the fixed commute bike where the double entry is handy, on my winter training bike when I prefere my warmer mtb shoes to handle the grime, and when I turn my cyclocross bike into a tourer and want to be able to walk around like you. They might not be quite up there with my dura ace pedals on my race bike but they are very good.

druidh

With both the A520 and the Ritcheys, I soon got used to the single-sided entry. The pedals tend to hang at the right angle for a deft slide/clip motion. I didn’t have the frequency of stops you’re referring to though.

Premier Icon convert
    Subscriber

mtbmatt – as said they work wonderfully. used a set of Spesh mtb shoes and quattros for 4 years now.

Also, I’d disagree about the shoe flex thing – a flexy shoes needs more supporting. My stupid stiff Northwaves could balance on a knife edge and work well.

Having said all that – a pair of Candys would do the job just as well in the real world!

brakes

my shoes might not be the stiffest, but I tend to get pain in the sole of my foot from small spd/egg beater type pedals – I figured something with a platform would be a bit more comfortable – I used to use Crank Brothers Mallets and they were less painful

brakes

… those quattros seem a tad pricey though compared to the candys

Premier Icon nickc
    Subscriber

power transfer efficiency of a road pedal

Eh? some extra hidden power that has up until now remained hidden?

brakes

I’ve got some Specialized BG Comp shoes like this

and wondered whether any road cleats and pedals would be compatible

I want the benefits of an MTB shoe for walking around the supermarket, but with the power transfer efficiency of a road pedal

alternatively are there any MTB pedals which might be somewhere inbetween?

brakes

yep, I read it in New Scientist, they contain Higgs bosons

brakes

they don’t appear to make the quattro anymore!

sq225917

PTE= bollocks methinks.

I use Spesh MTB shoes with Ritchey Micro road v4 on my XC and road bike, the DH’er gets flatties.

druidh

Dunno if PTE is real, but I sure feel a lot more “connected” and “direct” when using SPD-SLs than any MTB style cleat.

Premier Icon geoffj
    Subscriber

I’ve got them shoes and the ritchey v4 pedals after a similar request on here. I’m very pleased with em. 20 sets of lights on a 4 mile stretch no problem – can you not track stand 😉

brakes

I’ve got the sit down, no wobble track stand down to a tee
    but people look at you like you’re a dick

those ritchey pedals don’t have a particularly large platform on, not much different than SPDs

druidh

Ah but they’re lovely in the flesh.

brakes

I’m thinking Shimano A520 at the moment…

brakes

so I had a look at the Shimano A520s in a shop and they look a bit pants so I’m probably going to go for some Cranks Bros Candys – although I’m not 100% sure why, but one reason is that they’re grey and will match the bike 😀

woffle

another fan of the Crank Bros Candy here though I suspect they’re made of cheese after my 2nd pair fell apart on me. Worries about build quality aside they were/are the best compromise I’ve found between MTB shoe and a decent, double-sided platform for the commute (the London leg has many traffic lights too)

I’ve used them shoes with some Quattros. I did have to take a bit of the tread out though. worked absolutely fine

but then there is nothing to stop you using them shoes with eggbeaters anyway. no difference in feel or owt

I tried candys** with Carnac road shoes. Didn’t work for me – had to switch to road pedals after I went down like a sack of potatoes at a stop. The soles were just too stiff, once in, it was too tight to release in a hurry. Might work with your shoes though.

** might have been eggbeaters, can’t remember, although if anything, I would expect candys to be even more affected by the problem.

mtbmatt

Candys work fine with Specialized shoes.

gears_suck

You’re doing a 4 mile commute, and you’re worried about power transfer. P-lease. What a load of crap. I guarantee you’d never know the difference. If I were you, I’d put some flats on and wear my slippers to the office.

brakes

P-lease

Are you Graham Norton?

it’s not only used for commuting, sometimes I ride to Waitrose :bird:
    I’ve ordered some Candys

gears_suck

Lol, I knew you couldn’t be only using Tesco. Good choice. I use Candy’s myself.
    Cheers,
    Graham.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘ROAD pedals with an MTB shoe?’ is closed to new replies.