Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road pedals
  • bigbloke
    Free Member

Do road clipless systems clip in as tight as mtb spd’s or are they a looser fit?

atlaz
    Free Member

They’re tight. The point is that when you are clipped in you shouldn’t need to move your feet at all other than pedalling. That said, I can’t say I notice much difference in practice.

bigbloke
    Free Member

Think I am more interested in the clip in and out mostly compared to mtb spd’s.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    JoB
    Free Member

most road pedals have adjustable spring tension, just like SPDs so you can tune the ease of entry and release, if that’s what you mean

and they all varying degrees of ‘float’ so you can move your foot around without it coming unclipped

but once you’re in, you’re in, just like an SPD

iainc

Some, like Time Xpresso, use a flat base spring to engage, so while secure, feel very ‘light’ to clip in and out

njee20
    Free Member

And as a general rule their spectrum is tighter – you can’t get most road pedals to that ‘feet falling out’ level of looseness.

IanW
    Free Member

Road are much tighter (spd/spdsl) and a bit more difficult to get in but I’ve grown to prefer them.

atlaz
    Free Member

I agree. I use Look Keo Max or Carbon and I like the positive click when I get in. On my MTB spd pedals it’s a little less sure sometimes. I also think they’re easier to learn to clip in and out of.

TiRed

you can’t get most road pedals to that ‘feet falling out’ level of looseness.

Until the cleats are worn, then it’s time to replace them. Look cleats on the lightest tension will unclip very easily. But it requires a more defined movement than the multi-release shimano spd cleats.

tpbiker
    Free Member

Slight hijack, but anyone got any thoughts on speedplay pedals. I hate not having double sided pedals, and can’t get on with my look keos at all.

I do have bling pair of roadie shoes however, so want to use them. How easy are the speedplays to get in and more importantly out of. I’ve seen the light action ones which may be the way to go.

Kuco

I’ve got speedplay pedals and love them, loads of float but very secure and I like the just push down on them to engage without worrying which way around the pedal is.

shedbrewed
    Free Member

tpbiker, if you decide to sell your keos let me know. I need a 2nd pair.

Spud

I run Keo Classic and Blade, the Blade are really ‘in’. But I certainly find them better than the Classic. But with the Blade you can’t adjust the tension.

ads678

I’ve just started using spd-sl’s and was a bit worried about being able to unclip at first. Used them for a week now, commuting, had them set at the slackest setting but am ready to tighten them up a bit now. Unclipping isn’t a problem, but clipping in is harder the mtb spd’s. You adapt quickly though.
    I actually think I prefer them to mtb spd’s, for the road bike anyway.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Speed-play or Look for escaping easily but lock in enough to mash up hills.
    And nice range of float. Look are cheaper and Speedplay create pedal envy 🙂

I could never clip out of Time pedals and struggled with Shimano pedals probably as I wasn’t flexible enough with angles.

(Shimano mtb pedals are great.)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road pedals’ is closed to new replies.