Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Road – musings on danger
  • globalti
    Free Member

In 22 years of mountain biking I fell off dozens of times, though I only hurt myself badly once or twice. Last week a good friend of mine was killed mountain biking in Cumbria. OTOH I’ve been road riding now for five years and have never fallen off or had any scary near-misses, so I think I’ll stick with the road riding, thanks.

dazh

Can’t say I’ve ever been too bothered by the potential ‘danger’, it’s just something I’ve come to accept, although it can be a test of nerve when you hear a big engine accelerating close behind you. My biggest fear on the road is coming off on a fast descent.

The vast majority of near misses I’ve had are actually confidence building because because I anticipated the danger and managed to avoid it through my own action. Think I’ve only really had a few situations which could be described as ‘near-death’ and they all involved trucks overtaking too close. Which brings me to the point about riding away from the kerb in the middle of the lane. It really does eliminate most of these situations, and if someone does still take a chance, you have somewhere to go.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Mrmo

im not saying i dont ride – i do 50k a day when im not on an oilrig riding in and out of the office and weekend road rides as well

all im saying is that these last couple of years shit driving is beginning to get personal.

its all about risks and at the end of the day like you say. im certainly more careful these days than i used to be.

jameso

Roads are NOT for cars and lorries, they are for everyone.
    Avoiding the road and reinforcing that attitude helps nobody, it should be challenged at every opportunity and slowly, very slowly things may change.

the point about riding away from the kerb in the middle of the lane. It really does eliminate most of these situations, and if someone does still take a chance, you have somewhere to go.

That sums up my take on road riding. I do tend to avoid riding at rush hour / school-run-hell time, simply as it’s not a pleasant experience, traffic is too dense. I won’t use major roads either, it’s a grim experience. But defensive riding and mindfulness help keep you safer wherever you ride. I’m more worried about other traffic while driving in the outside lane of the M6 / M25 etc than on the roads I ride on my road bike.

mrmo
    Free Member

all im saying is that these last couple of years shit driving is beginning to get personal.

i accept that, but as i say you have to keep it in perspective. you mention working off shore, i assume North Sea/Shetlands etc oil rigs,do you think superpuma’s crash therefore must not use?

I have started reporting drivers to the police on a pretty regular basis, if i screw up their stats* maybe they will start doing something about traffic policing! We all know it is a numbers game!

Something to be said for complaining to MPs, councils, Police, CPS, you may not feel like you are achieving anything but if you say nothing, what you are actually saying is the situation is fine, and be certain NOTHING WILL CHANGE!

imnotverygood

@trail_rat, i know a few people hit, a few killed. I also know that i am more likely to die slipping over in the shower. It is about actually thinking about what is and is not safe, about what is an acceptable risk.

Given that this s the case: how many people do you know who have been killed in showers?

trail_rat
    Free Member

” accept that, but as i say you have to keep it in perspective. you mention working off shore, i assume North Sea/Shetlands etc oil rigs,do you think superpuma’s crash therefore must not use? “

up until the last one i was happy to accept that risk – i have opinions on that i wont be expressing on a public forum but suffice to say im thankful i dont work in the north sea

sikorsky s76’s where i work

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Two things made me get into MTB. Like the OP I was becoming increasingly concerned about my safety on Surrey roads – crap surfaces, narrow lanes and women continuing their multitasking behaviour while inside their 4x4s and white van men. The second was the cost of triathlons. Wanted to switch to ultra maras and adventure racing. Needed to up the MTB skiis for the latter.

Trouble is now, every time I come back from MTBing I have either broken bits of myself or my bike!!!! I miss road riding thought but oddly when I had to do a road stretch last Friday afternoon on a XC MTB ride and narrowly escaped being mashed by a car I remembered why I know spend 99% of my time off road.

mrmo
    Free Member

Given that this s the case: how many people do you know who have been killed in showers?

i know a couple of people who died on the toilet, and thankfully no deaths but a few broken bones from baths.

The real point is that you have to divorce personal opinion from reality. The repeated comments that a helmet saved my life is the prime example of this, you don’t have a clue whether the helmet actually did anything, statistically they may help but there is no firm evidence that the pros outway the cons. Cycling is safe, but if you read the reports you get a biased opinion. The real issue is not safety but that on many roads it is unpleasant, being buzzed by a car doing 60 is not enjoyable, but assuming the car has given you a few feet, most do, it is safe.

5thElefant
    Free Member

No risks in MTB? Really?

Different risks. Like falling off and getting a grazed knee. As opposed to getting mashed by a lorry.

Steve77
    Free Member

I’d be interested in knowing the actual risk of death for various ‘extreme’ activities vs. going for a road ride. I’d assume you’re more likely to die during an hour of road biking than you are during an hour of mountain biking, on-piste skiing or diving, but climbing, paragliding and motorcycling would all have more fatalities per hour

I’m sure I’m more likely to break a bone on my mountain bike but it’s dying I’m particularly worried about

Steve77
    Free Member

5thElefant
    Free Member

I’m sure I’m more likely to break a bone on my mountain bike but it’s dying I’m particularly worried about

It’s more getting killed by someone else I want to avoid. I’d be delighted to kill myself doing something that I enjoyed.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve seen more near death experiences on the roads than offroad.

My problem is I’ve had far too many bad crashes off road, and only one case of being blown into a ditch by the the wind off a passing car almost 10 years ago.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

Ridden on the road for 30 years including commutes of various lengths in 3 very different areas; central London, rural Wiltshire and suburbia. I’ve been properly knocked off once in that time and had maybe a dozen incidents that were genuinely close calls.

Once you get used to the feeling of being in traffic you realise that many of what you initially think of as close calls aren’t really all that close at all, at least not dangerously so.

pypdjl
    Free Member

The real point is that you have to divorce personal opinion from reality.

Cycling is safe

That’s a personal opinion right there.

brooess
    Free Member

Cycling will become safer the more people riding there are and the more we fight people who drive without due consideration for others.

Giving up and riding an MTB doesn’t really help make cycling any safer…

Right now I think we’re part-way through the necessary transformation. Lots more people are riding which has 2 short-term implications:
    a) the new riders are, by definition, inexperienced and so more likely to put themselves in danger (e.g. not riding primary position)
    b) drivers are having to get used to looking properly for people on bikes, and drive with more care than they used to

Over time, the riders’ experience should improve, as should general driver behaviour and acceptance of the legal rights of people to ride unharrassed… but this culture change will not come overnight…

dragon
    Free Member

I’ve ridden both the A4074 Reading to Oxford and the North Deeside, fairly regularly albeit mostly on weekends for both, and neither are mega nice in places, but aren’t that bad. Plus you need to pick the stretch as some bits of both are fine and others not IMO.

Is road cycling dangerous, well it can be, but so can everything. IMO the benefits far outweigh the risks. There are far more dangerous places and things to do, horse riding, climbing, working on building sites, ships, oil rigs etc. etc.

mrmo
    Free Member

That’s a personal opinion right there.

nope, statistically cycling is safe, not as safe as flying granted, but pretty safe.

Dickyboy

Well said Brooess, not really done much road riding in the last 25yrs, but looking forward to cycle commuting once I have moved into my new house, that said I will be trying to avoid the “worst” roads but guess I aught to be putting pen to paper to the powers that be to improve the woefully inadequate cycling facilities that are provided.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Safe isn’t a statistical measure, what you mean is safe enough for you (which is obviously a personal opinion), or a comparative term like less safe than flying but safer than motorcycling.

corroded
    Free Member

No risks in MTB? Really?

The absolutely crucial difference is that the risks in MTB are my call, my responsibility. If I want to do a gap jump over flaming lava*, that’s up to me. On the road, I’m at the mercy of utter muppets.
    *NB I’ve never done a gap jump.

mrmo
    Free Member

pypdjl – Member
    Safe isn’t a statistical measure, what you mean is safe enough for you (which is obviously a personal opinion), or a comparative term like less safe than flying but safer than motorcycling.

true, but if we set the base line as “is walking safe,” then cycling is safe. If you think walking is dangerous then i guess cycling isn’t for you. Life is about judgements but to say that cycling is dangerous is wrong, unless you regard getting out of bed or going to the toilet as dangerous.

tonyg2003

I have road raced for years, used to TT a lot and have MTB’s for more years than I like to think about!

TTing undoubtedly felt the most dangerous and probably statistically is the most dangerous. The one with the most injuries (from me and my weekend warrior mates) is MTBing – a long list of broken bones, even a suspected (but thankfully not) broken spine on a stupid fall from one rider on a recent ride. However road cycling is not like MTB where it’s usually your own mistake that causes the injury but faith in others that is the worry some part. I road ride on quieter roads usually in groups and this feels quite safe compared to MTBing.

dragon
    Free Member

Not up to date but interesting all the same:

BBC

dazh

woefully inadequate cycling facilities that are provided

What facilities do you mean? If you’re talking about separate cycle lanes then what’s the point when there’s already a perfectly adequate road network out there to get you from A to B? Yes it can be improved by better design, and some roads (fast trunk roads basically) warrant a cycle only lane separating the bikes from the traffic, but in general the vast majority of the roads are perfectly ok to ride on safely. If you take cyclists off the roads, you’re just reinforcing the reactionary attitudes of some drivers that cyclists are a nuisance and should be removed from the roads.

pypdjl
    Free Member

Life is about judgements but to say that cycling is dangerous is wrong

You keep contradicting yourself within the same post!

Dickyboy

What facilities do you mean?

The road concerned runs between two large towns 15miles apart & has a pretty bad safety record, most people would consider cycling at rush hour especially through winter as fairly suicidal – however there are some quite good shared use paths that I am more than happy to use in preference to the road, but they frequently stop & cross the road & come to a halt in the middle of nowhere & it wouldn’t take too much expense or imagination to improve them considerably.

plyphon
    Free Member

i’ve always wanted a road bike and think it looks great fun but i cant think of anything worse than trying to ride on UK roads.

mrmo
    Free Member

You keep contradicting yourself within the same post!

no contradictions, cycling is safe by any relevant comparative measure. There are times and places where it is unpleasant, but that does not mean dangerous.

crikey
    Free Member

i cant think of anything worse than trying to ride on UK roads

Are you really sure?

mrmo
    Free Member

i’ve always wanted a road bike and think it looks great fun but i cant think of anything worse than trying to ride on UK roads.

pick different roads then, UK roads are on the safe, you will get the odd **** in car but the likelyhood of having an accident is basically no greater than the likelyhood of having an accident walking to the shop.

There are roads that are unpleasant and no fun to ride, but there are plenty of roads where cars are few and you can get away from it all.

Most of the risk is a result of cyclists not being assertive, car drivers doing things that are “probably” ok, control the road, you have every right to be there, infact more right, if it isn’t safe for a car to pass don’t give them the option. Do not give them enough room to go past.

imnotverygood

The problem is that the ‘cycling is safe’ lobby rely on the stats, especially if you choose the stat most likely to reduce the risk (By time spent rather than distance travelled for example). Unfortunately I have reservations about how accurate the stats are. For a start, if you stumble out of a bar drunk & get knocked over then that counts as a ‘pedestrian death’ even if you have only walked 10 feet. Then there is the methodology of how they calculate cycle use. Given that the majority of people do not carry a means of finding out how far they have gone, how accurate can they really be? You may call it anecdote, but I’ve done over 70,00 largely road miles over the past few years and I can fuly understand why people might see it as unsafe. I can’t remember the last time I had an incident as a pedestrian comparable to things which happen on a weekly basis on the bike. As mucgh as I would like it not to be so, road riding presents risks that other forms of transport don’t.

pypdjl
    Free Member

no contradictions, cycling is safe by any relevant comparative measure.

You are back to confusing personal opinion with objective reality. Safe is a matter of opinion. I cycle to work every day on the roads for what it’s worth.

imnotverygood

Most of the risk is a result of cyclists not being assertive, car drivers doing things that are “probably” ok, control the road, you have every right to be there, infact more right, if it isn’t safe for a car to pass don’t give them the option. Do not give them enough room to go past.

This is true, but how ‘safe’ do you think this appears compared to walking down the pavement? Obey the Green Cross code & all you have to worry about are the rare ocassions when a car mounts the pavement.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Safe is a matter of opinion

Really? People may not feel safe toproping at the climbing wall or riding a rollercoaster. That doesn’t mean that those activities are not safe.

molgrips
    Free Member

It seems road riding requires a fatalism or blind faith I just don’t have.

It requires pessimism. Expect every car you see to do the wrong thing and hit you. Don’t just ride past T junctions if there’s a car there or approaching – cover your brakes and get ready to swerve or bail. That includes checking to see if there’s a car coming the other way.

Then study your route, as mentioned. There are certain roads I won’t cycle, and they aren’t necessarily the busy ones. The A4 between Newbury and Reading is horribly busy, but I rode it a lot (a few years back) and felt safe. It’s remarkably wide single carriageway so you have masses of room, and there’s so much traffic no-one’s trying to break records, they just trundle along at lorry speed behaving nicely.

On the other hand, the A466 north of Chepstow through Tintern always makes me scared despite being a beautiful country road. It has slow scenery gawpers and ‘drivers’ who want to get ahead and overtake, and several long tight corners with very little sight. And walls and drops close to the road too with no bailout.

I’ll be cycling in London next week, where I feel fairly safe, because whilst it’s busy everyone is watching what they are doing (they have to) and I have plenty of choice of route. And everyone is well used to seeing and catering for cyclists.

mrmo
    Free Member

all you have to worry about are the rare ocassions when a car mounts the pavement.

The likelyhood of being hit and killed by a car is far higher than a cyclist hitting and killing you on the pavement. And as we all know cyclists are always running red lights and riding on the pavement….

dazh

if it isn’t safe for a car to pass don’t give them the option. Do not give them enough room to go past.

When people at work ask me advice on cycling on the roads, this is the main thing I tell them. However there is a problem in that their instant reaction is ‘well that’s alright for you as you go really fast’, and they have a point. Taking the lane is much easier and less intimidating if you’re doing 20mph+, and I’m not sure I’d fancy cycling in the middle of a country lane or busy urban road at 10 – 15mph.

imnotverygood

The likelyhood of being hit and killed by a car is far higher than a cyclist hitting and killing you on the pavement

Ummmm. In the context of this discussion. This has what to do with the price of fish?

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Road – musings on danger’ is closed to new replies.