Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road mini pump recommendations
  • Premier Icon allyharp

I’ve used a Topeak Race Rocket HP for a few years on the road bike, but yesterday had another screw-on-pump screw-off valve saga where removing the hose unscrews the valve core, releasing all the air you’ve worked hard to get in. After a few repeats I had to resort to borrowing a pump that was attached to the only other bike in the bike shed.

I see the newer version comes with a valve in the end cap for this very reason. One answer is to carry a separate valve core tool, but something small is easily lost so I’d rather not rely on that.

I want a new pump.

By virtue of the fact that I’m a big fan of everything else I’ve bought by Topeak, the Roadie TT looks to be in with a shout. But what else is good?

Premier Icon footflaps

I use the Topeak ultra mini carbon thing which just presses on, have one on all my road bikes.

This one..

Premier Icon avdave2
    Free Member

One answer is to carry a separate valve core tool

I always have one with me but the real answer is a bit of thread lock on the valve. I have the same pump, I have gone through exactly the same as you have!

Premier Icon Bez

I’ve got the aluminium version of that Micro Rocket. From looking at it you’d think it’d struggle to blow up a balloon, but I’ve used it on 23-37mm tyres and it’s been great.

Premier Icon Roter Stern
    Free Member

My Lezyne Mini pump has worked faultlessly for quiet a number of years. The flexible tube means no bent valve cores and it’s well sealed against all the road crap that the wheels throw at it.
    https://r2-bike.com/media/image/product/106989/lg/lezyne-luftpumpe-pressure-drive-small-abs-aluminium-farbig-schwarz.jpg

Premier Icon stevious

I used to get that from my Lezyne pump until I realised that the little pressure release button just equaised things so that the valve closes itself. Since then, no unscrewed cores.

Premier Icon stgeorge
    Free Member

I use the Topeak ultra mini carbon thing which just presses on, have one on all my road bikes

+1 Just not the carbon version, I’m a cheapskate. Top tip: With this pump a drop of fairy liquid (other lubricants are available) on the seals to valve make it so much easier .

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Lezyne with the ABS button. If you have a problem with valve cores either don’t screw the pump on as far, or carry a valve core tool

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

https://www.blackburndesign.com/p/core-co2fer-bike-mini-pump/

Best of most worlds! A valve core removing valve cap and you’re off.

Premier Icon justinitus
    Free Member

I’ve used a Syncros Boundary for years, I’ve got one on each bike. Lock lever valve head on a pull out hose. All been faultless and work extremely well, the anodised finish marks easily though. I use the high volume ones, here’s the hp road version:

Boundary Pump

Premier Icon kilo

Do it like a proper roadie and have the ability to properly inflate a tyre 😉

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/zefal-doodad-pump-strap-pump-clip/

And

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/pumps/size-1-zefal-hpx-pump-black/

Premier Icon Bez

To be fair, on the rare occasions my Lezynes have taken a core out with them, I just screw the core back in by hand and it’s been fine—seems there’s no need to carry a tool to get it tight enough, IME. After it happened a couple of times, these days I just make sure I nip the core up by hand before I start and I’ve never had a repeat.

Premier Icon akira

Got peatys new valve end caps, one is a valve core tool and the other is a spoke key. May never use them but they are readily at hand of I do.

Premier Icon 13thfloormonk
    Free Member

I still think it’s a bit weird that companies persist with the screw on head thing, why bother? It’s obviously fundamentally flawed if we now have to carry extra tools or make sure all our valves are threadlocked to prevent the pump causing rapid and sudden deflation of the tyre 😀 (multiply over various bikes, and spares, and wife’s bike, and any stranger you happen to try and assist road side etc.)

I got a ‘Truflo’ pump very similar to the Syncros Boundary, e.g. thumb-lock head on a flexible hose, best of both worlds.

I think I like the look of the Birzman pumps though, they don’t appear to screw on but don’t require the little one handed wrestle with the thumb lever which can result in bent valve stems if you’re clumsy.

Premier Icon didnthurt

Cheap ‘Phart’ pump from Planet X, dirt cheap, fits into a jersey pocket, pump a road tyre up to 100psi no problem and in a decent time. Even used to pump up 3″ tyres which took a while but wasn’t as bad as I had thought it would be. So good that I’ve got 2 of them for different bikes.

I used to have a pump (can’t remember who made it) where you could flick a switch between ‘high volume, low pressure’ for mountain bike tyres and ‘low volume, high pressure’ for road tyres. It was great till I broke it. 😭

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.