• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Sanny.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Road levers – Mtb rear mech – Compatible ?
  • Premier Icon pb2

In an effort to keep my new build cost down and to simplify things I want to mix Shimano ST-RS 685 levers with a Shimano XT M8000 rear mech (levers and mech both 11 speed). Is this possible and are their any tricks/tips to setting this up if it is possible ? Thanks Paul

Premier Icon deadkenny
    Free Member

I think (not sure) the cable pull ratios will be different and road shifter won’t match up with MTB mech. More so with 11 speed (I think some at 10 or less might be more compatible).

Premier Icon downhillfast
    Free Member

You’ll need a cable pull converter, Road levers and Mtb rear mechs have different cable pull ratio.

Wolftooth Tanpan, jtek, Problem solvers etc all make them.

It’s probably cheaper and simpler to use a road mech.

Premier Icon steve_b77
    Free Member

Not without a Tan Pan it’s not.

Or get a new Shimano RX800 Clutch Mech , far better solution and considering a TanPan is £40, far better value

Premier Icon pb2

Ok and thanks – as my new build is a mixed terrain tourer I would prefer a 1X set with a clutched rear mech which I think Shimano now do

Premier Icon crazy-legs

It varies – a lot of older stuff works fine. Shimano have changed the cable pull ratio several times between 8, 9, 10 & 11 sp, road and MTB…

My CX bike has a 10sp Ultegra shifter pulling a 9sp XTR (M972) rear mech on a 10sp XT cassette and it works perfectly across all 10 gears.

It (usually) won’t work if you try that trick with 11 and 10 or 11sp road with 11sp MTB…

Premier Icon pb2

One other thing, I presume given 11 speed chains are universal, ie same for road and MTB I’m fine transfering my 11/42 MTB cassette to my Tripster build ?

Premier Icon IvanMTB

Or get a new Shimano RX800 Clutch Mech

Really? Maximum sprocket 34T? That is pretty weak… My standard, 10s Sram Rival, medium cage is coping with 34T without issues. And you can happily mix’n’match all MTB and Road mechs/shifters within given speed count.

One more assurance for me, that ditching Shimano was good idea.

Cheers!

I.

Premier Icon IvanMTB

And you can happily mix’n’match all MTB and Road mechs/shifters within given speed count.

http://blog.artscyclery.com/science-behind-the-magic/science-behind-the-magic-drivetrain-compatibility/

Obviously I’ve been mistaken with that last one on SRAM 11 speed. Tough :-/

Cheers!

I.

Premier Icon Sanny

So I am currently running an R8000 Ultegra groupset on test.

I don’t like narrow road cassette ranges so I am using a 34 46 up front with an 11-42 rear and a Wolf Tooth Direct Mount link. Suffice to say, it works brilliantly. I have noticed no performance difference compared to the standard Shimano set up. Shifting is clean and fast and the extra gear range is really welcome on steep climbs.

I also run a nine speed mech with a ten speed shifter on my Fargo. It works perfectly too.

Oh and if you are doing road and off road, I would opt for a double. Had I gone 1x on my gravel bike, I can think of plenty of rides where the gearing would have been either not high enough or not low enough.

Cheers

sanny

Premier Icon pb2

Sanny that’s much appreciated I will rethink my gearing as I am aiming to ride from country to country with the usual backpacking load and a bit more and the less pushing I have to do the better 👍

Premier Icon nemesis

Campag 10s ergos work perfectly with sram 10s rear mechs (road and mtb) so there’s load options including clutch mechs which will take anything up to a 46 sprocket. Also campag ergos and sram rear mechs are relatively cheap. Have this set up on both my cx and road bikes.

Premier Icon swanny853

I have exactly that setup with a 10-42 cassette and a tanpan and it works fine. Slightly ifddlier to set up but fine in use.

Premier Icon Sanny

Hi pb2

Happy to help. I am about to experiment with a mtb double chainset with a road front mech on the test bike for bikepacking. Going to use an XTR double chainset 28 42 and will report back in my review on success. I know that I will have to play about with spacers but fingers crossed.

I have been very impressed by the Ultegra set up so far. I too agonised over compatibility of parts but when Wolf Tooth launched the DM link, I knew that I had found the perfect solution of road shifters and wide ratio gearing.

Cheers

sanny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Road levers – Mtb rear mech – Compatible ?’ is closed to new replies.