Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road gear cables
  • mrjmt
    Free Member

On the MTB, I’m pretty standard in that I go for SP41 outer with SS inners.

Looking for new gear cables for road bike, there’s quite a few different options from shimano.

Is there any point in going for PTFE or anything else fancy or will the standard cables be just as good?

I use full length outer on the MTB, so rarely have problems with sticky inners, obviously the roady will have exposed inners so this may have an impact on the decision?

Will be on ‘summer’ bike so not going to see too many wet rides (hopefully).

ransos
    Free Member

The new polymer cables do feel lighter – I can’t comment on durability yet.

mrjmt
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused about which are which.

Will be ordering from Ribble as I need a few other bits from them.

Is it these you’re referring to?

edit: or these?!?

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I heard that SRAM cables offer less friction as they’re 1.1mm diameter as opposed to 1.2mm

wilburt
    Free Member

I’ve just put Shimano SS on both bikes, feels pretty good.

jonba
    Free Member

I buy jagwire sets for brakes and gears as they come with a neat flexible bit to help follow the shape of your bars out the lever and reduce friction there.

Jagwire also come with nice end caps that go some way to sealing the end of the outers. Also a good selection of things to stop cable rub.

I’ve never really noticed much difference in the type I use. Given they are relatively cheap and I don’t ride my race bike over winter I just change them at the start of the season and they run smooth all year.

ransos
    Free Member

I’m a bit confused about which are which.

Will be ordering from Ribble as I need a few other bits from them.

Is it these you’re referring to?

edit: or these?!?

Your second link – you want polymer, not PTFE. As I said, noticeably lighter but I haven’t used them long enough to comment on durability.

mrjmt
    Free Member

great, ta.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road gear cables’ is closed to new replies.