Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Road disc wheels – Any lightweight budget options?
  • Kamakazie

I am looking for a spare set of wheels for my CX to use for longer road rides and was wondering if anyone has any decent options?

They need to be 15mm & 12mm bolt through and have a freehub that is compatible with Shimano 11 speed road cassettes.

The best I’ve found so far are the Merlin build of chosen hubs on Alex 1.9 rims which are 1601g @ £195.

They aren’t in stock but are there any others I should look at in a similar price range (up to say £250)?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Those Kinesis ones? Might be over budget.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

DT Swiss R24 are always kicking about cheap/
    Tubeless too

Kamakazie

Looked at Kinesis but they are heavier & more expensive. Designed for CX so will undoubtedly be more robust, but as these will be strictly for road rides I can get away with a much lighter setup (24 spokes for example).

I’ll take a look at the DT Swiss sets.

EDIT: They are a bit heavier @ 1700g a pair. Was hoping to get below that but I’ll add them to the list.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a set of the DT Swiss R24 and they have taken a proper beating. I’ve ridden them for 18 months in all sorts of weather and hit all manner of potholes. They haven’t complained at all and are still running nicely.

Pridds

Mason x hunt disc ones. A bit more than the budget but mine have been great.

Kamakazie

Thanks, looked at those and the Novatech CXD but minimal weight saving for the cost as they are aimed at CX with higher spoke counts which I really don’t need.

bitasuite
    Free Member

I’ve got the Cosine ones which are great but seem to be discontinued. Might be able to pick some up on eBay though?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Haven’t there been a few advertised/won awards recently super lightweight?

Kamakazie

I was looking at the Cosine ones but as you say, can’t find a disc version. What are your called specifically (for ebay search)?

bitasuite
    Free Member

What are your called specifically

Dave. Sorry 😳

No they are (rather catchily): COSINE 23mm Alloy Clincher Disc Brake Road Wheelset

The old listing is here.

Kamakazie

*Yours

Thanks 😀 Much appreciated.

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

The R23 DT Swiss ones are lighter (lighter hubs, same rims) but a little pricier.

They’re what I have on my Rose Bike. Very good. We’ll put together and no issues either riding in trails or riding all through winter with no cleaning or maintenance

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Cero ARD23 are 1500g for £285, if they’re still on sale.

mugsys_m8

Just Riding Along’s Jawbones on Pacenti rims. More than budget admittedly but nice and light. I have the non disc ones.

Oh…Not sure if bolt through versions available ..

househusband

I have a set of the DT Swiss R24 and they have taken a proper beating. I’ve ridden them for 18 months in all sorts of weather and hit all manner of potholes. They haven’t complained at all and are still running nicely.

+1

I’ve had a set of the R24’s for several months and they’ve seen some rude terrain yet my 15st+ still hasn’t thwarted them – pretty much bang on £200 too. I needed 12mm axle back AND front which limited my choice somewhat.

MrPottatoHead

Eyeing up the Hunt ones at £250 – not sure how the compare to their more expensive offerings but seem like a bit of a bargain.

Kamakazie

Yeah I’ve seen the JRA as well. All more expensive than I’d like.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Anything at Superstar? Isn’t it the last day of “monster50” promo code?

Kamakazie

T that I could find, most of their clearance hubs won’t take an 11sp road cassette.

I’ll double check.

Kamakazie

Gah, just as I was gonna order the Cero ARD23s then bump the price up to £350!

jonnyboi

I got a set of alex rims ATD470 on switch ultra hubs from superstar in a clearance sales, 1650g £149 and I’ve done thousands of Ks on them including loads of off road

Kamakazie

Switch hubs aren’t compatible with 11spd road cassettes according to the SS website.

jonnyboi

Switch hubs aren’t compatible with 11spd road cassettes according to the SS website.

Something wrong there, as I’m looking at the hub right now and it says ‘switch ultra 11spd disc’ on the hub and it’s got a 105 11 spd cassette on it

Edit: worked it out, I’m using the ultra-lite rear hub which is compatible, should have been more specific

Kamakazie

Thanks jonnyboi, I’ll check the ultra lites out then.

Kamakazie

Hmmmm both of the cheaper SS ones are seriously heavy so there’s better options for what I want.

Think I’ll wait for the Merlin ones to come back in stock but thanks for the suggestions.

rob13
    Free Member

I’m looking at the Cero ARD23s too, look to be very competitive on price at £285 which they often move to.

Olly
    Free Member

Build some? fast rolling cheapy xt hubs built into the budget road run of your choice with race spokes. Cheapy Chinese carbon rims?

sixpotbelly
    Free Member

Build some? fast rolling cheapy xt hubs built into the budget road run of your choice with race spokes. Cheapy Chinese carbon rims?

XT hubs are indeed fast rolling and cheap, IMO, but not road 11-speed compatible.

You could still use an XT front, of course, but for a Shimano rear you’d need the FH-CX75, which isn’t that cheap, or the FH-RS505, which isn’t terribly light (nor available with fewer than 32 holes).

So you’re onto looking at the same Novatec/Chosen/Bitex rear hubs as most of the Far East pre-built wheels, except the sum of the parts would probably cost you more 🙁

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Road disc wheels – Any lightweight budget options?’ is closed to new replies.