• This topic has 13 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by alpin.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road Cycling in Poland / Germany / Holland – The Rules
  • number18
    Free Member

I have an imminent cycling trip across Europe and wondered what rules there may be that must be adhered to, especially if different from home (UK).

For example, having a bell/reflectors on the bike. Is this a rule, and if so is it actually enforced?

Are there any other things I (we) should be aware of?

Thanks!

fasthaggis

Grow a tache 😉

johnx2
    Free Member

belgium/holland you get honked for riding in the road when there’s a cycle lane

france – string of onions de rigueure

slowoldman

Germany – Obey ze rules.

I was shouted out on my last visit for having the temerity to cross a (deserted) road away from the pedestrian crossing.

Cycling I’m not sure, but don’t even think of shooting a red light. Oh and ride on the right.

MSP

There are lots of rules in Germany re reflectors etc, a bike is meant to be fitted with a dynamo light and that should meet the German standard (ie be dipped) but I have never heard of them being enforced.

One thing you should know about German cycle routes is that they can become shotterweg (basically a gravel road) especially when not running alongside normal roads. It is worth having tyres that can cope as being away from traffic is just a much nicer experience.

Random pic from the web to illustrate point.

gobuchul
    Free Member

Holland – use the cycle paths. My Dutch colleagues think we are insane for cycling on the road in the UK, particularly in London.

Also, don’t expect the Dutch drivers to be Uber friendly towards cyclists. They seem to hate them as much as the average UK driver!

perchypanther
    Free Member

Avoid consuming copious amounts of weed in Holland before you go to Germany.

The German cops aren’t too keen on it apparently.

footflaps

I was shouted out on my last visit for having the temerity to cross a (deserted) road away from the pedestrian crossing.

We were pulled over by the Police for similar (Poland).

All went tits up when they opened with ‘would you do that in England’ to which I replied, ‘yes, all the time’….

Ended with wife in tears, at which point they let us off….

smokey_jo

It’s ok to draught an Ebike for 2 miles so long as you say thank you 🙂
    (This was Belgium though but I doubt it’s different)

RoterStern
    Free Member

If you have a road/racing bike then then you are exempt from the lights rule in Germany (unless you are riding at night of course) and if there is a cycle lsne you have to use it unless you can prove that it is unrideable. Also beware that if you commit a motoring offence whilst cycling you will get the points put on your driving licence if you have one. Not sure if that would work with a British licence though.

trap6
    Free Member

Be careful in Poland,have driven there on many occasions,too say it’s a little ‘lairy’is an understatement..would perhaps keep too designated cycle paths if possible(unsure if any?).

andytherocketeer

Also beware that if you commit a motoring offence whilst cycling you will get the points put on your driving licence if you have one. Not sure if that would work with a British licence though.

They store the points on a computer in Flensburg, and associate them to a driving licence number. Doesn’t matter if it’s a non-German licence. They can’t endorse a UK licence, but can record “demerits” and ban the licence holder from driving in Germany.
    So don’t get caught riding a bike whilst drunk. That’ll be points on the system for a decade.

MSP

and if there is a cycle lsne you have to use it

That was contested and chucked out a few years ago as a misinterpretation of the law.

alpin
    Free Member

Avoid consuming copious amounts of weed in Holland before you go to Germany.
    The German cops aren’t too keen on it apparently.

Stick it up your seat tube…. 😉

As MSP says many cycle paths are not asphalted. Those that are are not always a smooth surface with tree roots underneath.

I rode from London to Munich in 2003 with an MTB and BOB trailer and from Bamberg to Rotterdam along the Main and Rhein rivers with my fixie (was walking like John Wayne by the end of it).

Some drivers are dickheads like anywhere else and you may encounter a self appointed German policeman….. Some powerless **** who takes it upon himself to enforce the laws. Ignore them.

Friend of mine was recently fined for riding no-handed along a cycle path. Another was fined for not having lights bit reflectors despite it being 2 in the afternoon.

By law you do not need a dynamo, but your lights, if battery powered, must have an indicator that the battery is getting low.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road Cycling in Poland / Germany / Holland – The Rules’ is closed to new replies.