Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 448 total)
  • Road: Could Not Resist….
  • Vortexracing

Ta

dazh

I’m sure this question has been asked before, but what bottom bracket is required for a SRAM Force chainset? Is it this one?

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55293

Been a long time since I built a roadie and all this bottom bracket stuff is confusing!

damitamit
    Free Member

I used this one for a Red GXP chainset on mine.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sram-bb86-gxp-pressfit-team-bottom-bracket/

damitamit
    Free Member

Finished the build.

6.5kg (14.3lbs)

Parts list:

Things left do:

– Cut down the seatpost
    – Cut down the steerer
    – Remove the crap decals of the Kalloy 98g stem
    – Replace the brake cables with a Ashima Reaction set
    – Take it on a long sunny club run!

rOcKeTdOg

lovely!

Vortexracing

Looks great, damitamit and bloody light.

just sealed a deal on my groupset, went for ultegra after all that fussing, got an deal I couldn’t turn down, even though it’s heavier then the SRAM force I was looking at.

The rest will be Easton EC70 kit and was looking to get wheelsmith race 24’s but he is shut for a week and will take 2-3 weeks to build them after that 🙁

so it will have to be open pro on Hope pro3’s for the time being.

I’m aiming for about 15.25lbs when finished.

damitamit
    Free Member

Took it out on its first ride today, a 70 mile club run.

Tbh, I didnt think it would ride much different to the frame it replaced (an Isaac Impulse), but it definitely is! Felt a lot smoother over rough tarmac roads and the front end is stiffer too.

So all in all very happy! People who’ve bought an SL, you’re in for a treat 🙂

johnnystorm

The weather is crappy here so I’ll get back to building. Getting quite excited now! 😆

Vortexracing

Don’t get my groupset and post till mid week, 🙁

Fork steerer now cut and it’s hanging on the wall waiting to be finished, which is a bit of a bugger as I have a full day riding in the Lakes tomorrow. Never mind will have to use the old faithful Hewitt Carbon Alpine.

what do you think of the planet X brakes damitamit?

_tom_
    Free Member

That’s looking seriously nice 🙂

damitamit
    Free Member

what do you think of the planet X brakes damitamit?

I was skeptical, but used them today and they seem fine. Not as powerful as Sram Force I had before but good enough. I’ve put Swiss Stop green on mine. They’re lighter than quoted too.

Vortexracing

cheers,

I read they are a bit of a bugger to keep adjusted, big chunk of weight saved over my Ultegra’s though 😕

damitamit
    Free Member

Yeh, I read that too but I dont think they’ll be a problem. You can adjust the centering with the spring screw on one side. But if that isnt enough (it wasnt in my case on the back), you can adjust the whole caliper by loosening the allen screw on the black bit of the bolt and turning it with a spanner.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

As you guys bought Scott frames you may know what the difference between these frames? As far as I can see its the HMF (whatever that means and integrated seatpost so which is better.

Scott CR1 Pro

and

Scott CR1 Pro HMF

scaredypants

scott hmf frames are their poshest carbon I think – stiffer for a given weight, so they can make frames either lighter or stiffer

edit: hold up, that’s HMX – HMF is the second poshest

further edit: … so I think that’s their boggo frame; there’ll maybe be a hmx version that’s posher

Fellstone
    Free Member

As you guys bought Scott frames you may know what the difference between these frames? As far as I can see its the HMF (whatever that means and integrated seatpost so which is better.

I have a Pro and my son has the SL. The Pro I have is just like the SL only in HMF rather than HMX (since I could not get one in time) and in a nice shade of Red. I am just waiting on wheels and group sets with vortexracing so I can not comment on the ride yet. The delivered headsets are both Richey but the SL comes with a WCS version which is slightly lighter with different bearings. The pro I have does not have an integrated seat post. the package also has if you get the pressfit BB the same BB as the SL. To be honest you can hard tell the difference in weight (until I build both and swop my sons seat post for a depleted uranium pipe !) 😉

Vortexracing

Neither of them have the integrated post

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Cheers Guys I will probably plumb for the HMF version also what was the deal Vortexracing got on ultegra groupset was it from Merlin as I was thinking of Sram Force from Merlin as it looks sleeker than Shimano.

Vortexracing

It was from another LBS, I’m not allowed to divulge any more I’m afraid, sorry 🙁 but if I had not had got such a good deal on the Ultegra, I would have gone to Merlin (which are also local) and got SRAM force.

lunge

Err, anyone bought an XXL that they don’t want? Ideally one with a threaded BB not press fit?

mlpinto
    Free Member

So for anyone interested to see my “cheap” build here is my Pro built with 105, Deda stem, FSA bars and a Eddy Merckx carbon post:

Scott CR1 Build by mlpinto1976, on Flickr

Now before anyone starts, I know:
    – the patio is a disgrace
    – the wheels are mismatched (temporary until the bank balance recovers)
    – it has an MTB saddle
    – it has slightly unconventional pedals
    – tyres / valve alignment
    – etc, etc

Even worse it now has a non carbon bottle cage and a pump 🙂

It’s my first carbon bike and replaces an old, old alu road bike that was a bit too big for me.

First impressions from a quick 10 miles on it are that it is unbelievably comfy compared to the old bike, fits me much better and is really fast accelerating. I think I’m going to enjoy this 😀

If any one has a front Aksium they need to rehome, let me know…

Cheers!

wwaswas

got all the excuses in except the one about being unable to post pics 😉

mlpinto
    Free Member

Yeah – basic tasks are eluding me today – should be sorted now?

titusrider
    Free Member

this thread is partially responsible for me refreshing my road bike 🙂

just ordered pretty much full Ultegra with a rotor chainset from JE James, love Dammit’s build

How stiff are those Soul wheels?

Vortexracing

Just finished mine, ready for a run on it tonight. 😀

P1050251 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050250 by eastham_david, on Flickr

P1050249 by eastham_david, on Flickr

spec is here

fred by eastham_david, on Flickr

needs some Wheelsmith race24 wheels with Ti skewers and it will be done

currently is 16.3lbs and will be 15.5lbs with the new wheels and some fettling (cutting down) of the seat post

boblo
    Free Member

That flared spacer is the first one and goes on top of the headset. Looks nice.

Vortexracing

I know, just altered it, I just put it there to try and get the bar height right.

balance is now restored 😆

may have to move to 100mm stem , let’s see what happens after a few rides first

boblo
    Free Member

This is all getting me juiced up to build mine…. Anyone fancy a pre loved Scott CR1 Pro 56cm frame in white. One very, very careful owner? I can’t have two of the damn things lying around…. 🙂

theboatman
    Free Member

Since we are having a ‘clone’ bike love in, here is mine;

Yesterdays 104 miles, has at me just over 400 miles on it. I can’t say there is a world of difference between this and the frame it replaced, but it’s light, direct and seems pretty planted on the downs; so I’m chuffed. Basically, it’s a rival build with some RS80’s on it. It needs another visit from ‘mr hacksaw’, but I’m just waiting for a 120mm stem to arrive before I make the final cut.
    The matt finish marks up pretty easily, but seems to clean ok, and tonight I have a can of PBK carbon polish to give it a spruce so I’ll see how that goes……

damitamit
    Free Member

Nice build vortex! I’m not usually a fan of white tape, but these frames seem to suit it.

Are the Race24s all black? Will look great when you get those.

Vortexracing

Are the Race24s all black

unfortunately no they are not, 🙁 that’s one thing that’s putting me off them. The race 23’s look superb in all black, but Derek at Wheelsmith is adamant that they are a better wheel for the same money 😕

Race 23

and the new race 24

not much in them weight wise apparently race23 about 1450grammes and race24 1510grammes, but the 24 is Tubeless and a lighter rim but he uses 24/28 spokes as opposed to 20/24 for the race 23’s

dilemma, dilemma 😕

smell_it
    Free Member

The race 23’s look the dogs, the 24’s don’t. I run my training bike tubeless, and whilst a fan, it doesn’t ime give enough benefits to make me want uglier wheels. That said the 24’s look pretty normal and start to get into tube and tyre weights etc, i doubt weight wise there would be much in it.

Vortexracing

The race 23’s look the dogs,

They do that

especially on a bike

not sure how long they stay all black though

rOcKeTdOg

they’ve still got the “heavier” ones in stock in 56&58 😯

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

The race 23’s will not stack black. I think there’s a thread on weight weenies about the finish, in the dry with carbon pads they dont last too badly (i think). In the wet., theyll wear quickly.

The race24s look like they use stans alpha rims? These wear out quickly in the wet.

Vortexracing

The race 23’s will not stack black. I think there’s a thread on weight weenies about the finish, in the dry with carbon pads they dont last too badly (i think). In the wet., theyll wear quickly.

The race24s look like they use stans alpha rims? These wear out quickly in the wet.

now you have put doubt in my mind WRT both sets 🙄

Vortexracing

I think Stans Alpha rims are 20mm wide, these are 24mm

titusrider
    Free Member

Throw these in the ring? Perhaps a touch heavier

http://www.stradawheels.co.uk/shop/h-plus-son-archetype/

meandyuk

I’m after one of those Scott flared headset spacers in black but I can’t seem to track one down – anyone know where to get one?

Cheers,
    Andy
    andy at defusal.net

theboatman
    Free Member

Meandyuk – you can have mine for a fiver posted, it’s the one that came with my CR1 frame, but looks like I’ll be keeping mine slammed (see page 10). Email in profile, if interested, Cheers.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘Road: Could Not Resist….’ is closed to new replies.