Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 448 total)
  • Road: Could Not Resist….
  • dharmstrong
    Free Member

The Swedish Chef – they are fine as long as you don’t ride them in the wet in all honesty. I kind of knew I was asking for trouble when I put them on when the weather was still a bit shit.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

So, what build is everyone going for? Mine is just a straight parts transplant from my Giant TCR, so Ultegra/Dura Ace mix with Ultegra wheels, Easton bars, 3T ARX stem, SLK saddle and I’m yet to decide on a seatpost – probably something cheap like a Deda or a 3T Dorica.

Would like to get a pair of 60mm carbon tub rims on Novatecs from China, but I could do with those being 11-speed compatible, and none of the suppliers seem to be using 11-speed Novatecs yet…

What are others planning on hanging from these frames?

Vortexracing

as i said above, either dura ace or sram red, with some mavic ksyrium elite or sls rims and probably fsa sl-k finishing kit. It will be a ‘endowment finished’ present, plus i have always wanted a ‘sunday best’ road bike.

pity i’m so unfit 🙁

chakaping
    Free Member

Rival transmission, Force chainset, Ksyrium Elites, 3t Rotundo bar, Ritchey stem/post, Madison Saddle.

wwaswas

Looks like there’s no provision for down tube mounted gear cable adjusters – what are people planning on doing? Inline adjusters or just getting the cable length *exactly* right at the mech clamp?

chakaping
    Free Member

Inline adjusters.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I just use an inline adjuster for the front mech. The rear mech has an integral barrel adjuster.

I don’t know what seat post to go for – there’s a 3T Dorica for 40 quid, but it’s alloy, or a carbon Giant SL once that I’ve found for £37.

The 3T is actually lighter, but I’m concerned about putting an alloy post in a carbon frame. Are there any potential issues with corrosion damaging the carbon?

Don’t want to spend much as this is meant to be my cheap thrash-n-crash crit bike!

damitamit
    Free Member

Moving parts over from my Isaac Impulse. Aiming for under 14lbs

boblo
    Free Member

Crickey, that’s light!

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Crikey Damitamit! That’s a bit organised! I’m expecting mine to come out around the 7.5kg mark, but it’s not really built with an eye on weight. It’ll feel sprightly after my old bike!

mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

have you weighed those parts?

damitamit
    Free Member

Weighed all of them apart from the Shifters, rear mech, Saddle, BB, bar tape and Cables. (Those are from weight weenies or manufacturer sites)

Thou I’m sure the end real weight will a little more. There’s always something unknown adding more weight.

The Scott forks are actually lighter than the scott quoted weight.

marsdenman
    Free Member

For those of you who missed the original deal, it looks like there are new additions to the sale? (apologies if it’s just that i’d not seen them before!)

CR1 Pro – £499

Having permission to buy a road bike I’m hankering after one of the above and the tiagra / rs30 combo deal at merlin but TBH, a Triban 3 would suffice and leave a whole load of ‘change’ in the bank….!

for the lady in your life – CR1 Team

boblo
    Free Member

@marsdenman. Sorry don’t mean to piss on your chips but a Triban 3 and a CR1Sl even with a ‘low end’ build are very different beasts. Many £££’s difference granted.

dazh

plus i have always wanted a ‘sunday best’ road bike.

Me too. However on a sunny Sunday, unless I can’t find any playmates, I’ll always be out on the mountain bike. Most of my road miles are done in the evening after work so crazy as it sounds mine will be a commuter. Actually one of the things I like about this frame is that to the untrained eye it doesn’t look like a top-end superbike so it shouldn’t look out of place locked up in the work basement.

My order hasn’t been fulfilled yet (I guess they’re quite busy!) from two days ago so I’m hoping they didn’t oversell them and then run out. When I do finally get it I’m thinking either a Force or Campag Athena groupset. Wheels will have to be the ones I already have (105 hubs/Mavic cosmic rims) until I can afford some nicer ones. Or perhaps I should go for a cheaper groupset and splash out on some new wheels??

boblo
    Free Member

I can’t decide wether to strip my existing CR1, transfer and then sell the old frame or build the new one up with some new shiny bits. However I have zero use for two high end roadbikes….. 🙁

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Mine has just been dispatched! Should arrive tomorrow morning.

Nice weekend of building. I’m racing my Giant tonight, so it’ll be tinged with sadness as it will be its last race, at least between my thighs!

marsdenman
    Free Member

@boblo – worry not – you have not ruined my lunch 😉

now, were I to go for the Scott – what size? @ 5’10” / 31″ inside leg, it seems i’m between the 54 and 56..

boblo
    Free Member

I’m 6’/30″ and ride 56. It’s spot on.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

I’d say you should be on a 54. I’m 6’1″ and I’ve ordered a 56. It’s very similar geometry to my Cervelo which is a 56 and fits like a glove…

eyerideit
    Free Member

For those of you who missed the original deal, it looks like there are new additions to the sale? (apologies if it’s just that i’d not seen them before!)

Why did you do that? I was ‘glad’ I missed out on the first offer.

dazh

now, were I to go for the Scott – what size? @ 5’10” / 31″ inside leg, it seems i’m between the 54 and 56..

I’m 5’9” with about the same inside leg and went for a 54 if that helps. Obviously not ridden it yet so no useful feedback but my existing roadie and ss commuter are both 54cm and are the right size for me. I do however have a -ve ape index (-3”) so shorter frames generally suit me better.

marsdenman
    Free Member

Why did you do that?

For those up there ^ who had missed a purchase. 🙂

I was ‘glad’ I missed out on the first offer.

as was I but, like me, I see you’re still following this thread 🙂

eyerideit
    Free Member

arghhhhhhhhhh M U S T R E S I S T

chakaping
    Free Member

Flip me that’s a light frame!

marsdenman
    Free Member

arghhhhhhhhhh M U S T R E S I S T

M
    E

T
    O
    O

That said – at 15stone I think this would be a silly light frame to go for? And, that’s before I consider my £800 budget, even with ‘only budget group set + wheels’ I’m at circa £900, without the rest of the finishing kit…. perhaps ’tis time to smell the coffee and move on…. mmm…

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Your weight matters not a jot Marsdenman, just get one – you know it makes sense!

In 5 years time it’ll still be worth £500! Just build it with s/h bits, you’ll easily do it in budget.

damitamit
    Free Member

Just bought a Crank Bros Cobalt 11 carbon seatpost from On-One. Supposedly around 170g once cut down.

chakaping
    Free Member

The rest of the finishing kit should be low cost Marsdenman, I can probably help you out with a few bits on the cheap if you live in Marsden.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Just bought a Crank Bros Cobalt 11

Crank Bros have no place on a fancy road bike.

You’ll be scoffed at by true roadies.

BadlyWiredDog

Crank Bros have no place on a fancy road bike.

ftfy 🙂

marsdenman
    Free Member

cheers for for the ideas & offers all! finger is hovering….

in the meantime – for those of you going for a truly bling build, this, just in from merlin!
    wheels
    definately not in my budget nor, at that weight, one for the larger rider 😉

bacondoublechee
    Free Member

The CR1 Pro frames have always been listed there and are a heavier frameset than the CR1 SL (hence the lower RRP)

dazh

in the meantime – for those of you going for a truly bling build, this, just in from merlin!

White wheels on a roadie? That just seems wrong!

drew

Just had an email from Westbrooks, mine’s arriving tomorrow. 5’10” with long legs and short torso so went for the 54. Thanks boblo 😀

Shibboleth
    Free Member

[excited] Another STW member that won’t be sleeping tonight! [/exicted]

😀

marsdenman
    Free Member

that click you just heard was me pulling the trigger on a 54….. 🙂
    spoke to the shop re: sizing. That also got me the knowledge that i’m too late for despatch today. It will leave tomorrow = Monday delivery.
    That ‘s fine.
    a. i have no other parts
    b. working Saturday
    c. riding / fort bill to watch on Sunday

2nd edit – thanks agin boblo

marsdenman
    Free Member

White wheels on a roadie? That just seems wrong!

Uh-Oh! should have have checked The Rules before posing that? 😉

boblo
    Free Member

Good effort and stay out of Decathlon! 🙂

Shibboleth
    Free Member

that click you just heard was me pulling the trigger on a 54…..

Good man! Put a wanted list for parts needed and I’ll see what I’ve got…

Viewing 40 posts - 121 through 160 (of 448 total)

The topic ‘Road: Could Not Resist….’ is closed to new replies.