Road Cassete on an MTB…… good idea?

Home Forum Bike Forum Road Cassete on an MTB…… good idea?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road Cassete on an MTB…… good idea?
  • watsontony

i used to use one with my saint mech but that is close ratio compatible

Premier Icon qtip
    Subscriber

It’ll be fine.

tutgareth

will i have to adjust the rear mech or would it be fit and forget?

dantsw13

To make it completely fit and forget, make everything identical bar the tyres!

Premier Icon Scapegoat
    Subscriber

You ought really adjust the b limit screw and the chain might be a link or two too long in some gear combinations. Try it and see. If it all shifts nicely in the workstand what’s the worst that could happen?

You could buy and shorten a 2nd chain to take up the slack and spread the wear, especially if your commute mileage is very different to your off road mileage. Depending on your chainset gearing and the terrain on your commute you might even be able to go nearer to a straight block. Even changing the b tension is pretty quick and easy if its alternating weekdays to weekends.

I also had a cunning thought of using 2 quick links and a short section of chain to lengthen for off road, but the wear rate would be uneven compared to the rest.

ndthornton

Is it a good idea to regularly swap drive train bits?
    You well get uneven or accelerated wear

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

No need to shorten the chain!! If it is the right length with a 36 it will be fine with a 28!!

But you do need to worry about how worn the chain is when you use a new cassette. So 2 chains may be sensible. If it all starts new then it should be fine.

Nah, it’ll be fit and forget. It’ll just be like not using the last couple of cogs on the 36t cassette – the rear mech will have capacity, yes, it won’t be 100% ‘perfect’ chainlength etc. etc. but you’ll never notice or indeed have to worry about it.

If the current cassette/chain are fairly old you might want to consider buying a new chain maybe for use on both cassettes.

tutgareth

So, I’m starting to build up a set of road going wheels for the daily commute on my mtb and want to buy another rear cassette so I dont have to swap my 11-36 XT 10spd between wheels everytime.
    Can I use a 11-28 shimano 105 5700 10psd with my current SLX+ rear mech?
    are there any disadvantages doing this?

Cheers

Of course it will work without shortening the existing chain, but I’d always run a new chain with a new cassette, otherwise you’re just accelerating the wear of the new component until it syncs it the spacing of the old component(s). The shifting can also be a bit glitchy while it syncs in.

Since chains wear out fastest you’d be wearing out two cassettes and the chainrings even faster if you just use one chain because the wear is bound to be uneven between the cassettes particularly if you mostly use only a handful of the smaller sprockets on the commute. A straighter block would mean you would probably use more sprockets slowing down the chain wear.

Of course the real answer is another bike!

tutgareth

Of course the real answer is another bike!

The justification for a CaadX ultegra CX bike for the commute to work hasnt got past the Mrs yet 😆 I just needs more persuasion time, so for now i’m going the 2 wheelset route.

think i will change the chain as its been used on a 9speed set up for the last 3 months.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road Cassete on an MTB…… good idea?’ is closed to new replies.