Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road brake block retention screws rounding out – any suggestions?
  • stevious

Right, I’m getting sick of the wee screws that hold the inserts of road brake blocks rounding out. Have tried a number of different allen keys, including some brand new pedros ones and they all just seem to spin inside the bolt. Any ideas of how to remove them without resorting to power drills.

Failing that, any reccomendations for non-cartridge style road brake blocks?

aP
    Free Member

Don’t tighten them up so much.
    Put a dab of grease on the thread before you tighten them up, and then don’t over tighten them.

eskay

Have a search for disco brake pads and get some of the non cartridge types. Cheap and do a good job.

Haze

Hammer in an oversized torx bit?

Probably no good to use again but new blocks usually come with a fresh bolt.

e2a: once they’re out, refer to aP’s post

baznav73
    Free Member

cut a slot in the head with a junior hacksaw or dremil and use a flatblade screwdriver.

mrmo
    Free Member

just use older Campag cartridges, no retention screw. Pain in the arse changing the pads though!!

stevious

Tried cutting a slot and hammering in a torx bit to no avail. These were brand new blocks with cartridges after the last lot went the same way so someone at shimano is doing the over-tightening. Will get some new ones and loosen/grease the bolts.

What a pain in the undies.

lazybike
    Free Member

Molegrips worked for me…

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

+ 1 for molegrips

TheSanityAssassin

Pair of long-nosed pliers has always been enough for me.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road brake block retention screws rounding out – any suggestions?’ is closed to new replies.