Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • road biking training for mountain biking
  • meeeee
    Free Member

i need to get better at hills again! The problem i have is when i get to some really technical bits on long climbs that need that extra ooomph to overcome, i sometimes dont have the ooomph so fail to get over the obstacle and have to stop. Smoother stuff i can go on for ages on, and i dont think its a technique thing as about 6 months ago i was clearing these climbs, just not been on the bike so much this year.

Anyway, i like steep hill climbing on the road bike (doing big lakeland passes) and am going to start doing these as training rides regurlaly, (eg kirkstone pass from all 3 ascents) but are they good for mountain biking?

I could just keep trying technical climbs on the mountain bike, but i find if i do this whenever i fail i end up stopping, and sometimes its impossible to reclip and get going, so i end up waslking the bike for a bit then getting back on when i can, but this in effect is giving me a ‘rest’ from the climb. Thats why i was wondering if hammering up the passes on the road bike would be good as theres no rests??!

woodey
    Free Member

Interval training realy helps with this, gives you more short burst power for those tricky bits (and to recover and keep climbing afterwards)

meeeee
    Free Member

what sort of stuff do i do for interval training to make it effective? Is this where you do flat out sprinting stuff then easier riding for a bit, then flat out again? Should i do this on hills or flat, and what sort of distances / times / reps

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    woodey
    Free Member

yep, one minute at full bore, one minute spinning – repeat 2/3 times in your first session, then build up to 7/8 repetitions over time. You can also try 2 minute full bore, one min spinning etc.

Find a small hill / use a turbo trainer.

uplink
    Free Member

just keep the reps up till you puke 😀

mrsflash
    Free Member

Intervals, wall sits, squats. My climbing inproved hugely with intervals on the turbo trainer.

meeeee
    Free Member

cheers i’ll try that tonight! Not sure if i should be looking forward to tonights ride or not now though 😕

mrsflash
    Free Member

No, it’ll be hideous. Enjoy 😀

Keva
    Free Member

i dont think its a technique thing as about 6 months ago i was clearing these climbs, just not been on the bike so much this year.

My technical ability drops off pretty quick if I don’t keep at it. Did my first ride of the year at Cwmcarn back in April and my lack of technical abilty on the climb was quite shocking… I usally clear the lot apart from two or three dabs and this visit had me putting my feet down all over the place. Been back a couple of times since and I’m back on track again.

Strength also plays a part… agree with interval training and strength training. Squats, core exercises (V-sits etc) and plenty of press ups should see you right.

Kev

vdubber67
    Free Member

Rather than go with ‘full bore’ hard intervals at first, you should probably concentrate on something like:

Warm up 10 minutes
    • 6 minutes moderately hard pace
    • 3 minutes steady cycling at low intensity
    • Repeat 4-6 x
    Cool down 10 minutes

By all means move on to the full bore ones after, but I wouldn’t start with them. You can also increase the 6 minutes to 8 for example

cp

I’d also try the intervals on steady hills – say 5 mins steady but hard effort, and every 30 seconds spend 10 seconds at full tilt… but stay sat down, as I assume this is how you’ll be tackling obstacles for rear wheel traction.

cp

or every minute do 10seconds full tilt. Vary it though so your body is used to irregular efforts.

myfatherwasawolf
    Free Member

Never really bothered with intervals, just lots of miles and some quick rides. As a junior I won loads of races and did well enough as a senior. Anyway, ten years passed and I just started doing intervals on top of normal riding and commuting. After 5 sessions or so (on the turbo), the difference in my riding is vast, being able to sustain high power outputs really helps on short technical climbs, and I don’t seem to suffer as much on longer rides. I can’t believe I dismissed intervals for so long. It’s also so unbearably hard that there’s no time to get bored even on a turbo! 😀

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘road biking training for mountain biking’ is closed to new replies.