Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Road bikes…sorry!
  • ttf
    Free Member

Looking at getting a road bike… i race cross country so i want a decent enough road bike to do a lot of training on and maybe get into some races too.
    For my first one i don’t want to spend a bomb, looking around £750 ish and want basically th best i can get for that.
    Looking at the Giant Defy range, they look great and i hear good things about them – anybody else ride one? What are they like?

Is the tiagra 9spd groupset okay or does it feel crappy? also will i be wearing things out quickly? I guess, as i’ve never had a road bike, i have nothing to compare to so not such a problem.

finbar
    Free Member

For that money i’d get a Boardman.

rOcKeTdOg

tiagra works well, just heavier than more pimpy groupsets, it won’t wear as quickly as an mtb set as there is less mud/grit etc

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Teetosugars
    Free Member

£750 would get you a lot of 2nd bike..

Have a look at The Comic.. There is a lot for sale in there…

Frankers
    Free Member

Just ordered a Defy 1 myself

Main reason was the fit, tried a few others but they felt too low on the front. Probably as so used to mtb positioning.

Try sitting on a few in shops before committing to buy

tinribz
    Free Member

I’d prefer the Allez Sport.

Although I think the Defy2 is ‘a bit’ lighter. Gotta come down to a test ride.

Mister-P
    Free Member

Main reason was the fit, tried a few others but they felt too low on the front

Which way up was the stem? You can flip them if the front feels too low. Personally I like a low front end, I took all the spacers from under my stem.

Philby

Also might be worth considering a Bianchi Via Nirone C2C or a Cube Aerial. Trek also do the 1.5 at this price level but it is slightly lower spec with bits of Sora thrown in, and a love it or hate it green colour.

If you can stretch to another 50 quid you could get an Orbea with a mix of 105 and Ultegra – http://www.epic-cycles.co.uk/orbea.htm

Trying before buying to get the right fit is crucial with a road bike.

NZCol

Best bet is go and try them all on for size if you can – its all about sze and fit on a roadie esp if you want to put some miles on it.

Guilliano
    Free Member

Unless your LBS stocks a lot of the Defy bikes you will struggle to get a 2.5 now as Giant have sold out completely.

Slightly OT…. I’m riding my new steed (a Defy Advanced 2) home from work tonight! Sorry, just have to shout about it

kevonakona
    Free Member

first road bike was a speccie allez and the one i just bought was an Allez elite. I like ’em. THe Tiagra is still going strong and showing no real signs of wear. Two new cables and a tighten of teh rear wheel bearings and its still running. Hoping the elite, which is still to touch tarmac is as good.

Frankers
    Free Member

Mister P – Member
    Main reason was the fit, tried a few others but they felt too low on the front

Which way up was the stem? You can flip them if the front feels too low. Personally I like a low front end, I took all the spacers from under my stem.

Each to there own, I’m fairly tall and preferred the higher front on the Defy, also tried the Bianchi C2C but was really different fit to the Defy

I’m no expert though and haven’t rode a road bike for years but the Defy just felt good, I like the idea of having specific mud guards from Giant as well for winter training.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes…sorry!’ is closed to new replies.