Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 250 total)
  • Road bikes with disks are ugly?
  • Lifer
    Free Member

Pfffffffffffffffffft

Jamie
    Free Member

Can’t argue with that logic.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

in as much as they would look better without, yes. Rims too deep-section for that frame to pull off too IMHO.

RoganJosh
    Free Member

It’d still look much better without the discs tho

fenred
    Free Member

Blue seatposts are ugly!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

I actually think that’s mingin,

Silly skinny ‘guess how light my saddle is’ chair, silly shaped drops, shimano, discs. Not for me sorry boss.

MrSmith
    Free Member

its nicer looking than any mountain bike with disks.

HTTP404
    Free Member

standard brake calipers are invisible from the rider’s perspective.
    so from that perspective – they might look even more ugly.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

It’d still look much better without the discs tho

All round ugly bike, weird stem and seatpost colour combo, spacers under the stem and no matter what Shimano do their chainsets are ugly.

Gary_M
    Free Member

All those spaces in the steerer tube and you’re discussing ugly discs.

Blue seatpost and stem, very early 90’s

emanuel
    Free Member

It could have done with a more inspired paintjob, but it’s a nice bike.

MSP

Black seatpost, stem and handlebar tape that would look fine.

njee20
    Free Member

Don’t like that at all, and yes, disks are ugly.

Houns

Discs on road bikes aren’t ugly full stop

RoganJosh
    Free Member

They ARE ugly. And stupid. Double full stop.

sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

If someone can remind me how to stick up a piccie i’d put one up of my C-59disc.
    I appreciate i may be biased, but it is just about perfect!!!
    and don’t get me started on just how much better they are!

Sniff

sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

I may be ugly, I may be stupid.

But my bike sure isn’t!!

Sniff

loddrik
    Free Member

Road bikes are ugly. I can’t quite get my head around anyone looking at a road bike with lust. Maybe it’s a Lycra thing…

whatnobeer
    Free Member

If someone can remind me how to stick up a piccie i’d put one up of my C-59disc.

The Colnago disc equipped bikes are better than the others, especially with Campag kit on, but they non disc bikes they do are better looking.

njee20
    Free Member

C59 Disc:

Hidden brakes look even better:

All disc equipped road bikes just look like ‘cross bikes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they’re at odds with the often ‘delicate’ looking nature of them.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

C59, non disc.

ransos
    Free Member

All disc equipped road bikes just look like ‘cross bikes. Not necessarily a bad thing, but they’re at odds with the often ‘delicate’ looking nature of them.

Carbon road bikes with aero wheels look a lot less delicate than old steelies – it’s just about what we’re used to.

mattsccm
    Free Member

Black wheels and groupsets on bikes are a bloody abomination. They make bikes (or anything lse) look “heavy” and a bike should be pretty.

HTTP404
    Free Member

disc brakes on road bikes are function over form.

they just make a road bike look all a bit …. agricultural.

njee20
    Free Member

Carbon road bikes with aero wheels look a lot less delicate than old steelies – it’s just about what we’re used to.

Don’t disagree, but discs take it up a notch!

rogermoore

What’s the STW collective verdict on this one:

RM.

wwaswas

Hidden brakes look even better:

I win! I win! They’re there, just the top of the forks, like most other road bikes with non-disk brakes!

asterix
    Free Member

the thing that most makes the Stoempen in the OP look ugly is the industrial/agricultural frame tubing dimensions – not for me, sorry

HTTP404
    Free Member

^^^ that Cannondale is the worst of all.
    Look OK in a farmer’s field going round and round.
    Or on a commute.

njee20
    Free Member

I win! I win! They’re there, just the top of the forks, like most other road bikes with non-disk brakes!

haha, was thinking rear, more than front. The Madones do look really clean. The downside is that the brakes are shit, but y’know.

^^^ that Cannondale is the worst of all.

Agreed, hideous.

Lifer
    Free Member

C59 disk is lovely too, I prefer the look of having all the gubbins round the hubs, cleaner forks and seatstays.

TiRed

First bike is ugly and it is not the disks that make it so. Aero brakes, however are less ugly, although modulation is not as nice as dual pivots. And don’t get me started on swapping wheels with different rim widths

The C59 with normal brakes looks much nicer.

sniffthebreeze
    Free Member

Lifer,

I concur! When you take a close look at the disc set up compared to callipers, you start to realise how ugly callipers are. in the case of road bikes, we are just too used to seeing them!

Sniff

Shred
    Free Member

Orbea Avant.

njee20
    Free Member

First bike is ugly and it is not the disks that make it so. Aero brakes, however are less ugly, although modulation is not as nice as dual pivots. And don’t get me started on swapping wheels with different rim widths

That’s gopping because you’re running 6600 STIs with that TT cable routing, I’d be convinced I’d be catching my hands on those loops!

Lifer
    Free Member

😆

TiRed

Oh I never claimed it was a looker (it isn’t 🙂 ), but I like the brake detailing. The 6600 is from the old bike (and shifts better than the 6700) and I’ve rerouted the cables now after the crash. It is aero though!

Lifer
    Free Member

The BMC Time Machine has proper hidden brakes, but angular aero frames are not pretty imo.

IanW
    Free Member

They are ugly but not as ugly as derailleurs or excessive logos and we seem to put up with those.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The Propel is a good looking bike in the flesh, like most Aerobikes are, in pics however they often look weighted or static and we all know thats not the best image to take with you for an Aerobike is it.

As for Discs, phah! No place on a Roadie, the C59 sans discs is a winner, both the BMC and Propel are neat.

If you are a commuter then discs are fine anything other than going to/from the office though is well, embarrassing 😆

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 250 total)

The topic ‘Road bikes with disks are ugly?’ is closed to new replies.