Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road bike upgrades shimano 105 vs ultegra
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Picked up some cheap shimano hydro RS685s for £150 in the bf sales.
    Obviously need to replace my drive train and mechs…
    Is it worth mixing and matching 105 and ultegra or just cough up for ultegra throughout. From what I’ve read there’s only minimal difference between the two these days..

curto80
    Free Member

If you are talking about the 11spd stuff then you won’t notice a difference. The 10 speed 5700 was a bit meh.

whitestone
    Free Member

I hardly notice any difference * between the two drivetrains so I’d save your money. A quick check shows that the system isn’t series specific just needs to be 11spd.

* there might be some difference when new but once they are worn in then it’s just a means of changing gear.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks.. Probably just go with an ultegra cassette, kmc chain and 105 everything else

chakaping
    Free Member

What they said. But I’d see what price Ribble are doing them for this weekend, Ultegra stuff looked quite cheap when I was browsing for something else.

boblo
    Free Member

OP, where’d you get 685’s for £150 please?

cloudnine
    Free Member

685’s for £150 please?

Mantel Cycles.. but theyve sold out now.
    They are £259 on Merlin which is still a good deal

rhayter

I just fitted my old cross bike with 105 shifters, cranks, derailleurs and cassette. It’s bloody brilliant. The shifting is awesome; quiet both up and down the block. Really, apart from the slight weight penalty, it makes Ultegra look needlessly expensive.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Went with 105 compact crankset and Ultegra everything else..
    Total spent .. £340 for shimano RS685s and new 11spd drivetrain (mainly ultegra) 8)

There was very little in the front mech price, not alot in the rear mech prices and need an ultegra cassette due to alloy free hub. Biggest saving was the crankset difference..

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road bike upgrades shimano 105 vs ultegra’ is closed to new replies.