Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)
  • Road bike steel frame options
  • tinsy
    Free Member

OK I think it must be the Tour bug or something but I quite fancy a nice road bike, but with a bit of a twist, I have something classic in the looks department in mind, steel framed but with modern geometry.

So far I have seen the De Rosa Primato and the Genesis Equilibrium.

What other options are out there for me?

Genesis full build looks nice but I would be wanting Campag kit not shimano, which leads me onto another question what is the best wheelset availiable but still with classic looks?

kilo

Roberts, Rourke or Colnago

orangeboy
    Free Member

As for wheels. Royce do some very special hubs and only in silver

Rorschach
    Free Member

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/felt/f4130-athena-2012-road-bike-ec032699?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=froogle&utm_campaign=froogle
    MUCH nicer looking in the flesh.Nice blend of old(steel) and new(BB30,integrated headset).There’s a cheaper 105 version as well.

johnners
    Free Member

If you’re after a nice road bike but not a racer have a look at the Surly Pacer.

tinsy
    Free Member

Yeah that looks right.

I am sure 105 is great, but I keep getting a ringing in my ears from one of my mates dads (sadly departed) that a “bikes not a bike without a bit of Campag”….

wwaswas

Enigma do some nice steel frames

have a scroll through their clearance section (or buy a ‘full price’ one with campag) http://www.enigmabikes.com/clearance1.html

flange
    Free Member

+1 on the Enigma. Failing that, depends on how deep your pockets are

Independent Fabrication
    English
    Singular (whatever the road bike is – can’t remember)

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

Engima for the fancy route, quite a few ali frames look retro and can be had with Campag, like the De Rosa Milano. Worth investigating as not all frames built with the same material ride the same.

tinsy
    Free Member

Will check out the Singular, just as I like Sam.

Swede, yeah I know what you mean.

packer
    Free Member

The Condor Acciaio and Super Acciaio are very nice

The-Swedish-Chef
    Free Member

excellent call on Condor, lovely bikes and a great shop

Dickyboy

I quite liked the look of the Soma Smoothie but opted for a ubiquitous Equilibrium when the right size frameset came up.

Smoothie (Performance Road)

Candodavid
    Free Member

Been going through the same quandry at the moment, so this is what i’ll be getting out on very soon

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

The Condor Acciaio and Super Acciaio are very nice

Very stiff though (apparently), at the other end of the spectrum, the Tokyo fixed – wide open dream machine gets good reviews for being more like you’d expect a steel bike to feel.

As for Campag, have you tried it? You’r mates dad presumably existed in the days before STIs (fnarr fnarr) so the only differences were weight, looks and the shape of the hoods. On which points campag may have won (especialy looks), but I reckon shimano shifters are much nicer to use than the campag ones with the fiddly little lever that’s never where you want it to be. That is unless you go for a propper retro steel bike with DT shifters.

Shimano cranks on the other hand look fugly in comparison.

honourablegeorge

There’s a lovely steel Felt on offer at Wiggle.

MrSmith
    Free Member

decide if you want a heavy noodly gaspipe frame or a modern steel frame like a roberts/rourke/enigma.
    modern oversize steel frames ride so much better than the archaic lugged museum pieces that are still being built.

i guess it depends if you want to look at it or ride it.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

i guess it depends if you want to look at it or ride it. ride a bike that looks nice and is comfortable or something that’s harsher than a cheep aluminium frame and costs more than a top end carbon frame whilst weighing four times more

FTFY

p.s. you can get luggs for oversize tubing too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

p.s. you can get luggs for oversize tubing too.

aware of that fact, i was commenting on the ‘retro’ skinny frames made from low end steel (at a premium price) with retro decals harking back to the halcyon days of quill stems and toeclips.

FYI modern oversize frames do not weigh 4 times more than top end carbon carbon, they certainly ride differently but i wouldn’t say they were inferior, “harsh”? lol.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, I’d avoid something with super thin tubes. I did have a Surly Cross Check and found it fairly flexy, now got an equilibrium and it feels stiffer. I think the bigger tubes have something to do with it.

Look at the downtube on that charge – dead small, and its got super long stays. Bet it rides like shite.

mrmo
    Free Member

Yeh, I’d avoid something with super thin tubes. I did have a Surly Cross Check and found it fairly flexy, now got an equilibrium and it feels stiffer. I think the bigger tubes have something to do with it.

Have you seen the wall thicknesses on Alu frames?

Thin walls is one aspect of what gives steel the ride people attribute to it. If you want to ride a bike that looks like steel just buy some cheap gaspipe bike, if you want to know what the fuss is about then get something decent.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. A small diameter tube is really what I should have written.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Condor Fratello.

Or if you want something really old school, Bob Jackson

BrickMan

AS mentioned already, the differences in quality of steel is massive, infact, biblical.

A gaspipe/low end (old or new) is going to suck no matter who builds it. But some proper steel will see you right.

For me I like a road bike/racer to be either decent steel or decent carbon, I find aluminium generally much harsher on lower back.

Also consider putting a carbon fork in there, handbuilt quality steel forks are often as much as the frame! vs. an off the shelf high end carbon fork will likely handle better/torsionally stiffer + absorb more shock/vibration than any steel or alu fork would = more comfort, more control and ultimately lower weight (if thats important to you).

Weight can be a factor, but my 40yr old bob jackson build (equiv of ultegra group + 27″ 32c touring wheels) with modern pedals weighs just under the 10kg mark, and would be about 8.5kg with similar age sprint wheels on, which yeah its comparable to a low/mid range alu framed current gen racer, but it won’t be as stiff for the same weight.

mrmo
    Free Member

Sorry, I should have explained myself better. A small diameter tube is really what I should have written.

Agreed, the very small diameter frame tubes, can be a bit flexy, particularly in bigger frame sizes with stronger riders. Don’t think many such bikes exist anymore, could be wrong, something that tended to disappear early 90’s when OS tubes became easily available.

elliptic
    Free Member

Look at the downtube on that charge – dead small, and its got super long stays. Bet it rides like shite.

My one of those (its a Charge Juicer) rode very nicely, it’s no lightweight of course but a perfectly decent trainer / all day bike and not noticeably flexier than the PX SL Pro Carbon I’m riding now.

nedrapier

After lots of umming and ahhing, a friend of mine is getting a Condor Acciaio built up for her at the moment.

She’s very excited, as is right and proper!

rusty-trowel
    Free Member

As regards comfort, don’t be put off by aluminium.
    My alu Langster with a skinny carbon post (with zertz insert) is more comfortable than my ti Lynskey Cooper.

Then again, the alu BMC hardtail i had was brutally stiff for general xc work and i got shot of it pretty quickly.

Cannondales Caad frames are supposed to be quite comfy, but still super efficient.

Candodavid
    Free Member

Shouldn’t really have any effect on me seeing as I weigh in at 10st.
    Not as though i’m gonna notice it anyway because i’m no road riding god

tinsy
    Free Member

The wrong kind of flex is a concern, I really want it to ride like a modern bike but just look a bit nicer (in my opinion).

I had a Ti MTB and though it was a lovely thing to behold, when it got knicked I had limited funds and bought the ALU version of the same thing, was the same weight, about the same in comfort, but the ALU had a lot less BB flex… And I am no power god.

tinsy
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member
    There’s a lovely steel Felt on offer at Wiggle

MMMMMM, the black one at £720 with 105 kit, its certainly a great price for that level of kit..

ds3000
    Free Member

Just wondering where my pompino would fit in on the road bike steel qualityspectrum. I imagine 4130 is somewhere in the middle, it’s butted according to the blurb. However when it comes to the ‘ping’ test using the fingernail it sounds nice on the downtube.

mrmo
    Free Member

a pompino is close to gas-pipe, 4130 is basic cro-mo, the question i would ask is what are the stays made of. Cro-mo or hi-ten.

Nothing wrong per-say but nothing special, no where near 953/EOM/Life etc

TiRed

The De Rosa Neo Primato is fabulous (and a 50/05 chance of it being built by the man himself), fondled carefully inspected one at the road bike show.

Depending on budget, I’d look above Genesis and Charge, unless it says 853 on the tubeset.

Roberts if you can wait
    Paulus Quiros for something that will turn heads (esp. 953)

MrSmith
    Free Member

Just wondering where my pompino would fit in on the road bike steel qualityspectrum

somewhere near that pile of stuff chucked out back.
    i wouldn’t even call it a road bike ‘commuter hack’ maybe?

beej

I built this:

Cheapish Guerciotti Record frame from Planet X, Campag Veloce group, Pro-lite Wheels.

mrmo
    Free Member

think it would look nicer with some shallower rims,

beej

I had enough trouble finding completely silver/almost logo free wheels as it was!

I didn’t even consider the rim depth, but you’re probably right.

JRTG
    Free Member

excuse the mtb pedals, but here is the steel one I use. Very comfy even with the silly stiff wheels.

Edit: it’s a rebranded salsa primero, salsa couldn’t sell them all so the company that made them sprayed them white and sold them as their in house brand, fastrax (not the Saracen one!). If you can find one they are a bargain at £400 for the frame and forks rather than the original list price of £1600 for the frame….. Imported mine from the USA.

Edric64
    Free Member

Mercian for exotic lugged 853 .As far as skinny steel goes my Ishiwata 017 tubed timetrial frame is very light and stiff enough with my 16 stone on it

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Road bike steel frame options’ is closed to new replies.