Road Bike Spoke Advice needed

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Road Bike Spoke Advice needed
  • jota180

My Planet-X AL30 rear wheel needs a rebuild, only 700 miles old but it’s been flexing too much and today snapped 2 spokes. I think my best plan is to rebuild it with new spokes.

Anyway, there doesn’t seem to be a great deal of availability out there for suitable 278 and 280 spokes apart from Sapim Race. Are these a good all round spoke?
    I don’t race but push fairly hard when I can and not too heavy at around 80kg

jonba

Used by plenty of wheel builders. Think they are an alternative to DT competition.

Premier Icon simondbarnes
    Subscriber

Sapim race spokes are excellent.

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

Yes, good spokes.

Won’t solve flex tho

jota180

Cheers

I don’t think the flex is down to the spokes per se, just a poor build, the front was flexing a bit too but 1/2 turn all around cured the most of it.
    I can’t find matching spokes to repair the rear so easier just to do the lot

Rorschach

Sheldon says-

Some believe that a wheel built with tighter spokes is stiffer. It is not. Wheel stiffness does not vary significantly with spoke tension unless a spoke becomes totally slack.

I measured the deflection of Wheel #2 while gradually loosening the spokes in quarter turn increments. The wheel did not display any significant change in stiffness until the spokes were so loose some became totally slack.

jota180

Well mine certainly did today, before putting more tension in it, it was much easier to deflect by hand.
    On the road, it now doesn’t rub the brake when out of the saddle

so I dunno then?

Is it 24 spokes in the rear?

Premier Icon cynic-al
    Subscriber

I don’t think Sheldon is quite right, as jota says.

jota180

yeah 24

I need to do it anyway so if the rebuild doesn’t work, it’s only £12 lost

I’ve lost all confidence in the wheel now, I was dumped on my arse today when the spokes bust as I got out of the saddle for a little steep rise.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Spoke Advice needed’ is closed to new replies.