Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Road bike riders
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Still riding the good bike?

I am hoping to get a few spins on mine before the salt is down and/or the weather turns mince and I use the winter bike…usually end of October for the former.

Crisp clear winter rides are the best!

boblo
    Free Member

Stonking ride today on what may be the last ‘summer’ conditions ride of the year. Think I made a bit of a pig myself tho…

pebblebeach
    Free Member

Yep lovely ride on the good bike today. 128 miles Ayrshire to aberfoyle then loch katrine and the dukes pass. Wonderful day in the saddle.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Yes. I think I’ll be riding mine until perhaps the middle of next month then that’ll be that and the winter bike will be out.

Haze

Don’t have a winter bike, noticed a few more on the club ride this morning though.

I have a fixed option but not sure I’ll keep pace on it, will most likely run with the current one until I can afford a winter frameset and upgrades for the good bike.

Junkyard
    Free Member

only have one these days so yes still riding it

munrobiker
    Free Member

Al, given your reputation with bikes, what on EARTH is your winter bike like? Is it made of 2 washing machine drums and a 14 packets of plastic forks?

Kryton57

Yep. Cracked out a PB* Tested some new gear and got murdered almost to death.

*must have been the post near death experience adrenaline.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Luke, it’s me Yukon commuter.

frazered
    Free Member

Ride mine in any weather not one for keeping it cooped up

carbon337
    Free Member

Yep the long rides have made way for hill climbs though. Mixing up with some CX.
    Hoping to get a few long rides in these next few weeks though. Probably throw a set of road tyres on some ksyrium elites and add them on the cx bike soon.

The good bike is going up in the spare bedroom soon.

TiRed

Went out on the good bike this morning into sunny Surrey with the club. I will however admit to looking at the weather before leaving. I’m also looking for a winter bike, because, love the fixie as I do, gears do help keep me in the fast mediums at 24 mph. The fixed is good for a 20 mph average, but I can’t hold 24 in a chain gang for long.

Winter bike/commuter with new wheels and stripped of rack (exactly 10 kilos)

Haze

djaustin, what gear inches do you run for 20mph average?

eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve only got one road bike as well. 😥

One day I’ll have a fancy pants ‘good’ bike – maybe.

TiRed

It’s running 42:16 or about 69″ (297 strokes per mile). For this ratio cadence is 5x speed. I’m a spinner and that is 100 RPM. I get a lot of practice, as I ride about 120 miles a week fixed.

Haze

Cheers, mine fixed is also 42:16. but haven’t ridden it for a while, curious as to how I’d get on with it on the club run.

Tend to push a slightly harder gear, around 85-90 cadence.

Our rides tend to be 50-60 miles, average around 18mph (depending on who’s out).

jota180
    Free Member

Went out on my good bike in glorious conditions this morning only to find I didn’t have the legs today 🙁

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Also only have one road bike. Bizarrely, cleaned up for first ride in about a year (on a road bike) today Like the MTB just give an extra special clean in bad weather so dont see the need for a winter bike. Lovely to get out for a fast spin today though, if a little brassy.

TiRed

Our rides tend to be 50-60 miles, average around 18mph (depending on who’s out).

Our evening ride is 30 miles. I drop to the medium/slow group for that. This morning, gears felt like cheating! Also, with full luggage and lights, my commuting bike weighs exactly DOUBLE my nice road bike 😯

Haze

I may give it a try one of the mornings, I’ll know my way home if I decide to sit up and let them get on with it.

TiRed

One final point, most of our rides are pretty FLAT. Fixed takes it out of you going downhill, where you can regularly see 150 RPM. Keep that up and your legs fry. I’d get out on your own to build up first. Some groups aren’t too happy about fixed riding in formation, but as I say to the group, you shouldn’t notice my bike – and one person only asked at the end of a ride.

Haze

Yeah I’ve done some decent solo rides on it before, also in very small groups. I got very used to riding fixed (commuted also) but it’s been a while since I last rode it.

My riding has changed/improved significantly since and I just wonder if I’m going to struggle on it.

Our rides are pretty easy going as far as hills go, may just have a word before I head out on it to ask if they’re ok with it.

Cheers.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

you wont get far on a fixed round my way

Haze

Maybe I’m not around your way 😉

dirtygirlonabike
    Free Member

I’m still on the good bike (and aero wheels!). A lot of the club are also still on good bikes, although some have already dug out the winter bike and mudguards. I’m pretending its still summer 🙂

Looking forward to clear crips winter rides but think i need to get some better hubs/wheels…can’t face going to open pros after riding my 50m deep sections for months! 🙄

stufive
    Free Member

winter bikes been out for ages 🙁

iainc

lovely ride round South Lanarkshire/N Ayrshire yesterday on the good bike, savoured in the knowledge that the next one will most likley be on the cx bike and a fair bit slower…..

Rorschach
    Free Member

Stripped mine down 2 days after the last race of the season -forgetting the tour of the wrekin a week later that I’d already pre-entered 😳
    Anybody wanna buy a large TCR Sl Isp frameset? 😉

Kryton57

I’m nervous now, how does wet/cold/salt affect Carbon/Alu? 😕

And wouldn’t a quick post ride hose down & re-lube be OK? I only have one road bike….

stufive
    Free Member

should be fine really if you clean it regular, some peaple (me included) like to have a less expensive usualy heavier bike or cyclo cross bike to put mud guards on etc for winter riding) 🙂

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Road bike riders’ is closed to new replies.