Road bike repairs/ upgrades

Home Forum Bike Forum Road bike repairs/ upgrades

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Road bike repairs/ upgrades
  • Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

After a collision last well I find myself needing the following….

New front wheel (or 28 spoke rim and rebuild)
    A fork
    Some bar tape (i like bare hands sometimes)

Bike was about #600 a few years ago so no mega bucks stuff but the bike fits and rides well enough for another year our two s use on 20-50 mile solo rides. Am happy to flatter it a bit.

I weigh about 95kg at the moment and that is creeping down so I don’t do flimsy but don’t like really heavy clunky stuff either.

I was wondering about a pair of wheels at about #200 in the sales have to be campag friendly and usable for 9spd with a spacer if needed.

Anyone got any buy this/avoid that/general guidance.

Buy #4000 road bike not an option regretably!!!!

Premier Icon Pickers
    Subscriber

Whereabouts are you? I’m about the same weight as you, got a pair of old Fulcrum Racing wheels in Campag fit that are pretty much surplus now. 20 front 24 rear spokes, but they’ve not bent under me. Only want about £30 for the pair so maybe not worth posting.

cynic-al

Shimano 9s is close enough.

£200 wheels on a £600 bike is a bit of a mis-match.

Usual sources for forks and wheel, or ebay if on a budget.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Pickers am in Hampshire.

Al I know its a mismatch but with a budget big s front wheel being #55 and the positive impact of saved wheel weight compared to virtually any other upgrade it makes more sense than any other upgrade to me. Even if its incongruous!

Maybe I will get the lbs to quote to hand build on to the current hub.

shedfull

Building a new rim onto a current hub probably isn’t going to be cost effective. You’ll probably be charged £20+ for the rim, around £1 per spoke and £30 to build it. It’s going to be more cost effective to buy a pre-built wheel.

I don’t agree that £200 is too much to spend on wheels for a £600 bike. You can probably get a set of Mavic Aksiums for £220 and then you’ve got some nice wheels on your bike. When the groupset gets tired, swap that for a better one then save up for a better frame. Before long, you’ve got a good bike bought in instalments.

rootes1

Wheels:

Fulcrum Racing 7 (£149 pair) or 5s(£200 pair both come in campag fit options (not surprising as campag make them)

Click for CRC Racing 7

bar tape:

Specialized Roubaix inc Gel pads.

forks.. loads of options:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/forks?f=2259

Job done

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Thanks. I wasnt sure how the costs go on rebuilds as its been a while.

nick1962

Ribble Cycles often have some end of line/ex-demo/shop soiled low price forks too.

Premier Icon Pickers
    Subscriber

G-D I’m in South Warwickshire so not very close.
    They are Fulcrum 7s, pretty good mechanically and true.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Road bike repairs/ upgrades’ is closed to new replies.