Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • road bike or…
  • manitou
    Free Member

Was fairly convinced I was going to buy a road bike. I watch all the tour and stuff on eurosport and the like. Ive had a wander round the LBS all I was waiting for is my “windfall” in December before getting some skinny wheeled monster. However on Sunday was doing a lap or two of Richmond park, hardly gnarly or challenging I know, but looking across at all the roadies wizzing by I thought.. would i like to be there or over here on the fairly quiet path through the trees?.. No contest.So I think i might just get a swanky new HT to compliment my FS.

Gary_M
    Free Member

would i like to be there or over here on the fairly quiet path through the trees?

umm you could do both, not at the same time obvioulsy.

aP
    Free Member

Hey al – you could always get a spanky cx bike instead and go “both ways”

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    will
    Free Member

Was just aboutto say what aP posted.

That way if you don’t like it you can just stay off road.

justatheory
    Free Member

They aren’t mutually exclusive, despite what some people would have you believe. For me road biking is about fitness and endurance, whereas mountain biking is about recreation. A mountain bike lets you see the parts that other bikes can’t reach.

wwaswas

A mountain bike lets you see the parts that other bikes can’t reach.

Casualty, in my case 🙁

rootes1

Hey al – you could always get a spanky cx bike instead and go “both ways”

if you want a proper road bike just get one… great change from mtb

wwaswas

what rootes1 said really, if you want a road bike get a road bike.

if you want to go off road too get a hybrid.

manitou
    Free Member

hey guys, its just the fact that I dont mind riding off road on my own. On road on my own …cant see the point.

mrmo
    Free Member

On road on my own …cant see the point.

it is not the same as off-road, but the feeling of speed can’t be matched off road, I guess it does depend on where you live but blasting through the cotswold lanes on a summers day is a very nice way to while away a few hours.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

On road on my own …cant see the point.

Dont buy one then!

manitou
    Free Member

London.. too many cars on the road.. even the towpath along the Thames is nicer compared to that!

cynic-al
    Free Member

road bike + mtb = way more versatility than 2 x mtbs, whatever they are.

Will do a much better job at getting your fitness up if that’s what you want to do as well.

MrSmith
    Free Member

hey guys, its just the fact that I dont mind riding off road on my own. On road on my own …cant see the point.

there are some friendly clubs in the area though. plus living where you are it’s the same for road as it is mtb regarding getting to nice roads/trails. you have to travel to get good mtb or there is richmond park or you have to travel to get good road riding or there is richmond park.
    the big difference is good roads are much closer and quicker to access. im SW and can be on quiet roads in minutes,, itend to steer clear of the park at the weekend though and just use it for midweek road blasts when it’s much quieter.

maybe borrow a road bike before committing

elaineanne
    Free Member

i bought a road bike back in april along side is my HT and fs….
    within a few months of riding roadie bike regulary my fitness was getting better ! tho i had to buy the roadie gear to go with it of course 😉 it makes a nice change from off road riding …..starting to build up new road routes as opposed to bridleways, link paths, moorland etc… and you can get some terrific speed up (when theres no head wind-that is… :wink:…. i knew i needed a road bike cos i had a big challenge ahead of me MTB’ing, so the ‘road- biking helped me personally !

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘road bike or…’ is closed to new replies.