Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Road bike hire in Tuscany – great service!
  • dantsw13

I take my road bike all over the world in my job as an airline pilot, but the holiday itinerary this summer in Rome and Tuscany meant taking a bike box was impractical. I decided to look into renting a road bike and came across recommendations for Chrono Bikes in Lucca. Open every day from 0900-1930.

The owner Palladino served me personally, both by email and in the shop. I now have a Pinarello Gan Ultegra sitting in my Villa lounge waiting for first use tomorrow morning. The service was brilliant – I left my Garmin mount behind, and he lent me his own spare one.

Now for the hard part – we are in a Hill town in the mountains, so my 15 mile morning loop will be 3500ft of climbing 😯

Metasequoia

I walked past it last week and thought it looked great! Also, watch out for some of the road surfaces in the mountains, I came across some interesting holes whilst driving around…

dovebiker

“rolling countryside” massively understates the hilliness of Tuscany IME – 10km climbs on white roads with 20%+ pitches – but some of the most glorious cycling I’ve ever encountered

dantsw13

Agreed – the drive to our villa, the drivers were the least of my worries – I couldn’t shake the feeling “F@@k, I’ve got to ride up this every day! 😥

Sandwich

There are some easier roads but The Giro went under the local mountain there one year. It’s a bit of a day out that one!

dantsw13

I’m in Vellano, on the top of a 600m climb from any direction!

jate
    Free Member

I hired a Pinarello from Chrono Bikes in July. Really nice guys and great service as you say. Not sure where you are based but you owe it to yourself to do Passo San Pellegrino. The last 2km to the village in particular are “interesting”…..

dantsw13

Just looked and sadly I’m a fair way from there. I’m basically getting a 90 min ride in every day before family breakfast and in the cooler time of day (hitting 36C at the moment)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Road bike hire in Tuscany – great service!’ is closed to new replies.