• This topic has 10 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by mboy.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Road Bike Handlebar Question…
  • mboy
    Free Member

Currently got some cheapish bars on my road bike, but they’re a shape I really like. Struggling to find anything in the reach/drop to match what I’ve currently got from any of the big(ger) brands…

Not the best pic for illustrative purposes, but you’ll get the idea… The bars have an 80mm reach and a 140mm drop, and sort of between a compact and an ergo bar in shape I’d say. I’m not keen on proper ergo’s with the wiggly bit in the drops, or proper compact’s as there’s nowhere near enough drop to them I find. I like the shape of these bars a lot, but would quite like to find something nice(r) in the same or similar shape at least…

Any ideas?

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Have you had a look at the Ritchey ‘classic’ range?
    They’re a really nice shape

mboy
    Free Member

The Ritchey Classic Shape is nice, but at 73 reach and 128 drop a little too shallow and short for me. If it makes any difference, I’m after 42cm (c-c) width bars.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Syntace?

Rockhopper
    Free Member

If you like the ones you have why do you want to change them?

cookeaa

How about a bit of a compromise, use an 80/120 compact drop and lose 15-20mm off the spacing under the stem maybe?

Puts the drop section of the bars in about the same relative position, if you can live with the tops being a shade lower?

mboy
    Free Member

Syntace?

Good shout, just looked at the dimensions for some of their bars, seems they may fit the bill, though the transition to the flat part at the bottom of the drop is quite sharp.

If you like the ones you have why do you want to change them?

Gradual upgrades on the bike been taking place bit by bit, only thing left really to upgrade (IMO) is the cheap(ish) bars and stem

How about a bit of a compromise, use an 80/120 compact drop and lose 15-20mm off the spacing under the stem maybe?

I spend most of my time on the hoods, and the current position is perfect for me. I’m not super flexible, so hence don’t have the bars fully slammed, but I also have relatively large hands and long arms, so like a deep(er) drop bar to allow for this. Seems I’m not the only one that can’t stand all the new ultra compact bars doing a little bit of googling!

MrSmith
    Free Member

Zipp? They do various reach/bends as do deda and fizik

stumpy01

Mate of mine has some FSA bars on his road bike and they are really comfy. Dunno on the geometry, but they are great.

Might try a pair for my road bike, just need to work out what I’ve got and what they are…

TiRed

Discontinued Ritchey Streem (sorry). The Fizik Cyrano Bull continuous curved bars are very good and the same shape as my Giant SLR carbon. I prefer those to the wiggly “ergo” bars, but I’d be hard-pressed to choose between them and the Streem with the straight section.

Looking again, it looks like the Streem is back! The alloy bars have a longer flat hold than the carbon bars (I have one of each).

mboy
    Free Member

Zipp? They do various reach/bends as do deda and fizik

Desperately want Zipp bar/stem combo but alas, all their bars are too shallow!

A couple of the Ritchey shapes are looking close to what I’m after. GF’s bike has Ritchey Logic II’s fitted which despite only a 132mm drop feel more spacious than their dimensions might suggest.

The FSA “New Ergo” shape looks interesting.

Found the 4ZA Cirrus Compact shape with a 90mm reach and 140mm drop, and a nice curve. Looks promising, though I’d probably have to lose 10mm off the stem with that much reach.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike Handlebar Question…’ is closed to new replies.