Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Road bike for under £1000
  • dantechnet
    Free Member

1st post so be gentle

Have option to buy a road bike through the ride to work scheme so got a budget of £1000 but there are so many options around.

Will be mostly commuting 10 miles a day and some weekends rides just for fun.

Question is, can anything really beat the Planet X Pro Carbon for spec and value?

camo16
    Free Member

What’s your priority? Speed? Reliability? The smooth sheen of carbon? Gnarl?

Plenty of great sub £1000 road bikes out there…

dantechnet
    Free Member

As with all large purchases, I want value for money but my head does get turned very easily by the sheen of carbon.

racefaceec90

have heard good things about the allez bikes http://www.evanscycles.com/products/specialized/allez-elite-compact-2013-road-bike-ec040967 £900.00

i admit that i haven’t tried one myself but i have a tarmac sport which i love and the allez is very similar to the carbon tarmac bikes in geometry and ride.

asterix
    Free Member

just bought a 2013 Scott speedster 20 with Tiagra groupset for £810 – its not carbon but still seems excellent value

freeagent
    Free Member

Boardman road bikes are great value for money, provided you can use Halfords on your C2W scheme.

Sancho
    Free Member

dont let the carbon fool you a lot of aluminium bikes will be better for that money

onewheelgood

I tried the Allez – several versions, but bought a Defy 1. This year’s Defy’s look nice – the Defy 1 is in budget, the 2,3,4 or 5 well within.

andytherocketeer

Was just looking at Canyon. If Alu is OK, then full shimano 105 spec comes in under a grand (in Euros), and Ultegra is barely over (by the time you take exchange rate in to account). Must be loads in that sort of price range, but I have no idea about C2W type schemes.

Was going to get a spare set of road wheels, plus tyres, cassette etc. for the CX bike, but at relative prices like that I’m almost tempted to just do an N+1.

Sancho
    Free Member

There are lots of bikes in the uk for under a grand with full 105

considering youre avoiding 20% Vat with Canyon it means the UK guys arent that bad.

velomanic
    Free Member

I’ve had an Allez since 2011 and it’s been great. The Felt F85 is a nice bike for the money too.

Lifer
    Free Member

Saw this on Road.CC:

http://road.cc/content/news/80665-just-roux-etape-250

There are only nine models in the range of UK based Roux Bikes: three pure road bikes, two ‘cross bikes, a classic fast Audax style tourer, two heavy duty tourers with luggage racks and an unusually equipped Nexus eight speed hub geared hybrid. With the top bike in the range costing under £1000 it’s obvious that the main emphasis at Roux is on value for regular riders rather than high performance for the more competitively inclined.

The cyclocross one looks good for £800ish!

http://www.2x2worldwide.com/ROUX/conquest3500.html

avdave2

For commuting I’d be looking for something that could take full mudguards and a possibly a rack depending on how much you need to carry to work.

maico
    Free Member

Sancho- The prices on the Canyon website include German VAT @ 19%.
    For all EU sales it’s paid at the point of origin.
    Exports out of the EU, are of course, tax free.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

32.4lb for a Roux tourer??!! I struggle to ride 13 miles each way on a 22lb commuter.

Crud race guards will fit to pretty much any bike or SKS do the quick fit ones which are sufficient for keeping spray off you.

Wolfdog
    Free Member

got to be a Ribble Gran Fondo. Quality and a great looker

dantechnet
    Free Member

Interesting, will take a look, thanks Wolfdog

Anyone else got anything to say about Ribble, good or bad?

montarius
    Free Member

dantechnet, I have the Canyon roadlite 6.0. Its a cracking bike which I would definately recommend.

Full 105 and quality wheels. You wont find much better out there for the price. Service from Canyon was also very good.

jet26
    Free Member

CAAD10?

Dekerfer
    Free Member

If you’re commuting make sure you can fit proper guards and a rack. Invest in 25 or 28c tyres for comfort. Although buying new has its appeals, you could probably find what you need for a few hundred pounds on the cycling forums.

Gary_M
    Free Member

This boardman is failry hard to beat for 1p under your budget.

vintagewino
    Free Member

I just bought a Fuji Roubaix 1.3 from evans, down from 1250 to 1k and with 100 quid’s worth of free stuff on top (i.e. shoes). Seems pretty good although I’m not a road bike expert. Full 105 groupo and bladed spokes on the wheels was the clincher.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Full 105 groupo

Did evans upgrade the chainset then?

vintagewino
    Free Member

yeah, good call the chainset isn’t 105. it’s a bit agricultural but cranks are cranks.

tc3nitro
    Free Member

I have just bought a Sensa Romagna from Merlin and i’m very very happy with it for the money. I have only done about 200 miles on it since new but its been faultless, comfy and looks the dogs nackers !

smiththemainman
    Free Member

one of these maybe?[http://www.cyclelane.co.uk/m4b122s6p5938/WILIER-La-Triestina-105-2012/RS_GB/20082][/url]

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Waiting on a Sensa Romagna Special from Merlin too. Just wished my voucher would hurry up and arrive.

FuzzyWuzzy

Are you just getting a C2W voucher (that you can use anywhere) or is your company in a scheme that locks you into someone like Wheelbase? I’d check that before casting your net too wide.
    I’d also only buy something I could test ride first given it’s your first road bike and you’ll likely won’t know what works for you just by looking at geometry charts (although as long as you get it roughly right a bike fit later + small adjustments should be able to get it exactly right for you if needed).
    The Verenti bikes from Wiggle are worth a look at, as are the Mekk bikes

bruders338
    Free Member

I 2nd the Giant defy great value!!

jamiea
    Free Member

I recently picked up a Moda Intro with Tiagra for £700. Done less than 150 miles so far but apart from the shitty Kenda rubber (replaced with Conti 4000s after two punctures) all is well so far!

Cheers,
    Jamie

dantechnet
    Free Member

Jeez, clearly plenty of options around 1k

Liked the look of the Canyons and Ribble GF but really need to test ride before buying and the rtw scheme does limit my options slightly.
    Found a caad 10 for £1100 which would look nice sitting next to the scalpel so will explore that over the weekend.

Will update my progress soon

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Road bike for under £1000’ is closed to new replies.