Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • Road bike decision time
  • chakaping
    Free Member

Thanks again Benman, that’s really useful. Both seem very light compared to quoted figures. The Ultegra Supersix Disc comes with 1,500g carbon wheels – which is nice.

@chapaking This just underlines what a steal those CR1 SL’s were. I know it was a bit of a feeding frenzy on here and a couple of people sneered at the choice, but they do ride fantastically and are very light.

Assuming the frame is still OK, why not treat it to a nice light groupset and wheel combo. Get the weight down to ~7kg and carry on?

Yes I sold mine then bought someone else’s because I missed it. I have Ultegra, a 1,500g wheelset and nice carbon post & handlebar – so mine doesn’t need to be any lighter but I would like bigger tyres and discs.

We should do a ‘where are they now’ on the SL’s…

Mine’s usually on the lanes of either West Lancs or East Herts…

mogrim

That’s kind of why I didn’t really love my old Defy, so another hint that maybe I don’t want a “comfort” bike really.

Yeah, don’t get me wrong – I love my Endurace – but I really should have got an Ultimate instead, it’s all just a little bit too much “sit up and beg”.

chakaping
    Free Member

Well yesterday I’d kind of decided to get the synapse, then further posts on this thread have moved me back towards a SuperSix or similar.

I reckon there’ll be a significant improvement in comfort over my CR1 anyway.

Has anyone gone from the CR1 SL frame to a more modern disc bike? I know loads of us had them.

johnny63

Hi, Chapa

I’ve had 3 Synapse – all Hi-mod – a 2013 rim brake (which i sold to a friend who has used it for everything from day to day riding, to bike packing trips, including an 8 day Strade Bianche tour in Tuscany – he loves it), then the 2015 rim brake one with the split ST, and then the DA disc one – thought the 2 rim brake ones were great but that the disc one was just a bit underwhelming – but all sold now

I also have a 2013 Supersix HM, with 38mm Wheelsmith wheels and Ultegra 6800 – wouldn’t sell it for the world – brilliant bike that I’ve done everything from racing to 100 milers, and its never failed to disappoint.

Just wish I’d bought the HM disc last year instead of the Synapse ☹️

Just my tuppence worth.

chakaping
    Free Member

Good info thanks Johnny, reinforces my direction further still.

🙂

johnny63

Oops – just read that last bit – meant it has never disappointed

Sandwich

Most of my riding is reasonably hilly with the odd flat bit in between, I’m lucky to average 25km/h.

You will see an aero benefit. I’m three months into a return to regular riding on a V2-R and I’m faster than I expected due to the aero frame. 24kmh average on the Claud Butler nail, 26 plus on the Colnago. I hope to get back to  30-ish commute by season end. I suspect I’m not going to get close to my 32 best.

nickb

Recently bought a 2020 Supersix. I went for the SRAM Force AXS one. It’s not super light, but it’s brilliant. Quick, comfortable… a real joy to ride.

Creg

Not sure if it’ll help your decision making but Hargreaves Cycles have a few roadbikes that are ex display/ ex demo that they are shifting.

They currently have a 56cm SystemSix (the new Aero one) with Ultegra for £1949

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39b0s412p0/SHOP-SOILED/Road

globalti
    Free Member

Can’t speak for the other bikes as I haven’t ridden them but I’m sure they are all excellent. I’ve just bought a Roubaix Comp and I’m absolutely blown away by it; it’s my first modern fat-tyre road bike and it’s dramatically better then my old 2014 Roubaix, which I’m going to sell soon. What’s really impressive about the new Roubaix is the speed on the flat and downhill – I’ve been out with a local shop group and noticed straight away that if I get dropped on climbs, I’m making up ground on the flat and downhills. The stiff frame and excellent through axles make it handle superbly so it climbs well and goes downhill like a demon, with the assurance of the excellent brakes. I’m thinking a Roubaix S Works might be the ultimate endurance bike and I’ve PMd Dovebiker about my idea.

w00dster

Creg, the thing about that Systemsix is its kind of half an aero bike. The frame is made for an integrated cockpit, the stem and bars just don’t look right and it needs deep wheels.
    I hired the Ultegra Di2 Systemsix last year in Girona. 65mm deep Knot wheels and integrated bar/stem. I’ve ridden a lot of aero bikes and a fan of Cannondales, but the Systemsix was really underwhelming. Normally I’d accept that hire bikes are not good to judge a bike from, but the wheels were terrible in the cross winds, coming down the climbs was like riding on the back of a tiger, was all over the place. Climbing, well coming from an Aeroad I’d read a lot about how good the Systemsix climbed, nope. I found it to feel dead, almost feeling like it was stalling when taking speed into the climb. It felt great on days with no wind and flat routes, but I certainly wasn’t impressed. I’d love to see stats showing how often it was ridden by EDF in 2019 compared to the old SuperSix.

zerolight
    Free Member

I had a 2015 Defy Advanced Pro 2, but always really fancied a Supersix. Picked up a Supersix Evo Hi Mod frame last year from Sigma Sport on sale. It’s a great, badass, super bike. But really, I was more comfortable on my Defy and am tempted to get an Endurance style frame again post Lockdown – Defy doesn’t seem to be available as a frame only, so maybe I’ll get a Roubaix frame on sale.

If you wan’t something comfy, the Defy would be my choice. Just watch the frame sizes. Their M/L is a L in most other brands. At just over 6 foot, the M/L fit me well. I went with a 58cm SuperSix with a 100mm stem to get a feel not too dissimilar to the Defy I had and it’s fine – smooth, fast, but it’s just not quite right for my aging back.

I found the 2015 Defy Advanced Pro (same gen as I think last years more or less) worked great with 28mm tyres, and the Defy is on the more racey end of the endurance bikes – was plenty snappy. My Supersix is snappier still, but not massively so. The Defy was great.

You can still get last years Supersix frame for a great price. I had to buy a few bits, but mostly moved everything over from my Defy and upgraded it later.

https://www.sigmasports.com/item/Cannondale/SuperSix-Evo-Hi-MOD-Disc-Frameset/F65J?s=1

Creg

Woodster – I’m going to plead complete ignorance when it comes to the SystemSix. I’d seen one of the Sigma videos about it and thought “oooo” but haven’t actually ridden one although I did want to try one. I’ve only ever had one Cannondale, a 2012 SuperSix and thought it was amazing but ultimately too much bike for a cake and sofa enthusiast such as myself so I sold it on.

These days I stick to whatever cheap crap I can find to throw on a turbo trainer and rarely venture onto the roads (we are overloaded with tourist traffic in my part of North Yorkshire) although with them being so quiet it is tempting to get some road miles in.

zerolight
    Free Member

Also, if you happen to be in Surrey and are after a 54cm frame, by father bought one of those Orro Gold STC Disc DI2 bikes, with Fulcrum Carbon Disc wheels (which I believe were an upgrade). He’s had it a couple of years and ridden it half a dozen times. Beautiful bike. He’s likely willing to sell it for £1500 to £1800. If it weren’t for lockdown he’d have shipped it to me in Glasgow to breakdown to parts and eBay.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

https://www.rutlandcycling.com/bikes/road-bikes/scott-foil-20-disc-2019-aero-road-bike-yellowblack_461000 for ~£1925 before cashback doesn’t look a bad deal, if you fit a 54cm, which looks to be a “medium” but I’m struggling to find a geometry chart.

forked
    Free Member

It’s an awkward price point. You’d likely end up with a fairly decent frame and obligatory Shimano disc groupset, but poor wheels, tyres and finishing kit.

Since we’re in isolation, I’d likely build my own based on a secondhand frame/forks and finishing kit, with a new groupset and some wheels from Lightbicycle or Farsports.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, if you happen to be in Surrey and are after a 54cm frame, by father bought one of those Orro Gold STC Disc DI2 bikes

That sounds like a great deal but I am in NW England, ta.

I’ve gone leftfield with a real eBay bargain (from a bike shop) in the end, which I’ll pop back and share when/if it turns up. Bit superstitious about revealing beforehand.

Should end up with a hell of a bike for well under budget anyway.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Bit late to this post but I just want to go out on a wing and say a few things.
    The system 6 is a bike I’ve sought after for the last year or two, never got a chance to own or ride one but I do like them a lot and heard good things.

One thing I want to say is with road bike frames, stack height and reach are two important numbers that can make a frame / bike suitable for someone (or not). You can change around the stem length and headset spacers etc, but ultimately if the stats and geometry of the bike don’t match up to your body, you won’t have an amazing time riding it, and possibly a disappointing “new bike day”. Why am I saying this? It drives me bananas when I read reviews about bikes, often on well known websites, and they say things like “it felt very long and stretched out”… or, “it felt a bit cramped”… etc.

A dreamy ride or a lovely bike for you might not match up with someone else, we all have different proportions. So I’d take all advice with a pinch of salt.
    I’ve been to a good bike fit and I know exactly what measurements to look for in a frame, some frames are way off to what I need.

But… I do think aero bikes / frames are the way to go. I ride a Lapierre Aircode, I still remember the day I test rode it and how fast it felt compared to my old alloy tubing traditional road bike. Randomly it fits me spot on too (but I did go down a size).

Merlin cycles have good sales on the Aircode, they are lovely but don’t read the reviews. I raced the race around Ireland Ultra on mine last year (47 hours)…I’m currently toying with the idea of going to discs but both my fancy wheelsets I bought last year are rim only. First world problems.

chakaping
    Free Member

Ah well, no aero for me in the end.

I’ve got one of these for a very reasonable price on eBay…

It’s got a light hi-mod frame, previous-generation Ultegra with discs and is new from a shop.

I’ve used the saving from the original budget to get some Prime carbon wheels from CRC and some 28mm tubeless Schwalbe Pro One tyres.

With those changes and moving some bits over from my current bike, it should get under 8kg.

Geometry seems the same as my first road bike, a Boardman Team Carbon, which I really liked.

boblo
    Free Member

Oooo….

chakaping
    Free Member

Hopefully a worthy successor to the CR1 SL Boblo.

Similar concept of being an “endurance” bike that’s actually pretty sporty, but with room for 28mm tyres to give a bit more cush – and discs, obvs.

Not so easy on the eye as the CR1, but I daresay it might grow on me.

boblo
    Free Member

I’m sure it will be perfect, just get some miles on it and enjoy it. We do seem to agonise over this and that. Just remember the rough stuff silly sods were out there ‘doing it’ in flat hats before the Californian’s had even heard of repack…

<edit> Ooo and I’m out on my SL tomoz – mid sections plus 30mph winds… Be good for the reactions. Froome anyone…? 😒

cynic-al
    Free Member

I take it the CR1 is not the same as the SL? A couple of the former on eBay, any idea of the frame/fork weights of both?

chakaping
    Free Member

We do seem to agonise over this and that.

I’ve been fretting over this a bit, but I think it’s because I don’t feel as comfortable with road bike geometry and components as I do MTB stuff.

And it’s an expensive decision when you can’t demo.

Got a good feeling about this now though.

boblo
    Free Member

Al, full nomenclature = Scott CR1 SL. They do/did other versions of the CR1 so beware. I’ve also a CR1 Pro that’s standard carbon and therefore a bit heavier. Google gives 860 + 330 for the SL which sounds reasonable for HMX carbon. I weighed mine before assembly and though my memory is a bit hazy, that sounds about right. Mine built with Dura Ace, carbon mid sections and pedals/cages/garmin mount weighs 7.2kg. It’s lovely. Come down and have a go. 😁

cynic-al
    Free Member

Cheers Miles, sounds similar to my Hi mod Supersix

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Road bike decision time’ is closed to new replies.