Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Road bike decision time
  • chakaping
    Free Member

It’s not often I do a “what bike” thread, but I’m looking at moving to a disc brake road bike and would value hearing what some of you think.

For the last few years I’ve mainly been riding a 2012 Scott CR1 SL – built with 6800 Ultegra, RS81s and carbon bits. It is light, responsive, quick and I love the handling.

The CR1 was supposed to be an endurance bike, but the geo is fairly racey and it’s made from the top-level HMX carbon layup. When I swapped to a 2014 Defy Advanced for a year or two I found it a bit too relaxed and soft for my taste.

Maybe it’s the recent storms, or my old age, but it’s been feeling bumpier lately and I fancy going to bigger tyres than my 25mm ones and discs of course.

My budget is roughly £1k to £2k, or slightly higher, and I have a few options so far…

Cannondale Synapse

Some great deals about on 2019 models new. Frame coming to end of it’s life in 2020 though and will it feel sporty enough for me?

Giant Defy Advanced Pro – previous generation secondhand

These were v popular and are fairly priced used. Supposed to be considerably stiffer than the one I had, as well as higher lever carbon. And clearance for 28s. May not handle as lively as I’d like though?

Cannondale Supersix 2020
    This would be stretching the budget, but I do like the look of them, the Ultegra carbon one is well specced and reviews suggest it’d be right up my strasse.

Any thoughts on the above from owners? Particularly in relation to how I’ve described my tastes? Any other options I’ve missed? Particularly secondhand ones?

Must be carbon and take fairly big tyres BTW.

TIA

rascal
    Free Member

Discs or calliper brakes?
    I bought a Cube Agree with callipers 4 years ago but I think if I was buying a new road bike now I’d be looking at discs.

chakaping
    Free Member

I did mention discs twice.

😛

monty777
    Free Member

I ride a 2018 Specialized Roubaix, disc brakes, clearance for up to 32mm tyres-clearance is actually 34mm but it’s a bit tight. Light and responsive but relatively relaxed geometry. You could probably find a S/H version within your budget. I love mine.

markgraylish
    Free Member

Cannondale Supersix 2020

You can get disc Ultegra SuperSix for that budget? Wow…

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s quite a stretch but I’ve seen a deal or two.

akira

The only thing about the new supersix is it’s all designed to be integrated so the slightly cheaper models without the fancy bar and stem just seem a bit under thought and look a bit odd.

chakaping
    Free Member

The only thing about the new supersix is it’s all designed to be integrated so the slightly cheaper models without the fancy bar and stem just seem a bit under thought and look a bit odd.

Even if one doesn’t know that’s the case?

Looks fine to my untrained eyes, very handsome in fact…

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Just bought a Giant TCR Advanced Pro and swapped the 25mm tubeless tyres for 28s. Very much a race bike but very comfy with the bigger tyres. There are some great deals on the 2019 models. I went di2 but you can get mechanical groupsets & hydraulic discs for around your budget. Can’t imagine I’d want bigger than 28s for purely road use.

chakaping
    Free Member

The TCR Pro disc was on my wish list a while ago, looks spot on for me, but the 2019 models are sold out and the prices have shot up for 2020.

As I inferred in the OP, I’m after as high quality carbon as I can get and wasn’t over-impressed with the “Advanced” model I had before.

mcnultycop

I just got a Radon Spire (last year model) and it is absolutely lovely. Comes with 28s, lovely kit throughout, full Ultegra. Would buy again.

Watty

I ride a 2018 Specialized Roubaix

Whilst initially sceptical of the future shock, compared to my ‘16 ‘zertz’ frame Roubaix the new ones are so much smoother.
    Evans were selling the Sport for a thousand quid off list last November, I know, my neighbour bought one. Lucky sod.

djflexure

Trek Domane?
    I really like Trek road frames

flange
    Free Member

Don’t the supersix frames have weird spacing on the rear? Something to do with having to redish normal wheels?

chakaping
    Free Member

I did see that one.

Was hoping someone has anyone ridden the Synapse and could comment.

Reviews mostly very positive and it sounds like it’d suit me, but I’ve noticed that most sportive bike reviews say the bike under review is more lively than average (which obviously they all can’t be).

I’m not really a fan of Treks, maybe they just look too much like Treks? I wasn’t really keen on Cannondales either until I discovered they’d dropped their horizontal TT thing.

‘Dale and Giant do seem to be better VFM than Trek & Spesh, eh? And Canyon seem to have crept up in price a fair bit.

ctk
    Free Member

Couple of discounted Merida Sculturas on Tredz that look good to me. Full Ultegra at under £2k

Merida

dovebiker

I work part time in a Specialized dealer assembling all manner of their bikes. The guy who owns the shop usually has a couple of top end S-Works models on the go – he likes them light and stiff. We built up an S-Works Roubaix as he was initially sceptical – he took it to Majorca for a week and said it was just as fast as his S-Works Venge, but a whole lot more comfortable. I wouldn’t buy a Trek because they’re warranty support isn’t as good.

w00dster

I think. Cannondale have made a bit of a mistake with the Supersix, was a great racebike, one of the best all rounders I’ve ridden (Dura Ace Hi Mod). Super light and handled like a dream. The new one is a lot heavier, where the standard Supersix was approx 7.4kgs you need to get a top of the range 2020 model to get close to that weight.
    Have also ridden the Synapse, I found it absolutely fine. The one I had was Ultegra and standard carbon (hire bike in Girona). It wasn’t exciting to look at but it rode fine. I’m a bit of a fan of Cannondales having ridden lots of them over the years.
    My winter bike I have is a Domane SL5, it’s Uber comfortable but dull to ride (my other bike is a Canyon Aeroad which is a gr eat ride so probably not fair to compare the two). 32mm tyres are nice for the winter but for most rides I prefer to have my 23 front and 25 rear.
    With your budget I’d be looking at different frame options including Alu and Steel. I’ve had a few CAAD’s and they are great bikes, in fact I’d rank my old CAAD 10 up there with some of the more expensive bikes I’ve had. We’re all different and have different views on bikes, but in my opinion I’d not bother with a £2k carbon disc brake bike, unless you can get it significantly reduced from RRP.
    Not much help I’m afraid, just think it’s worth rethinking your target regarding the highest level of carbon you can buy.

chakaping
    Free Member

unless you can get it significantly reduced from RRP.

That is absolutely the plan, or used.

What do we think of the quality of Cannondale’s “Ballistec” carbon frames?

I’m assuming it’s better than some other brands which have more grades of carbon, e.g. Giant Advanced.

chakaping
    Free Member

Also, I see road bikes are moving towards mildly aero tube shapes, like the new Supersix.

Most of my riding is reasonably hilly with the odd flat bit in between, I’m lucky to average 25km/h.

Is that (and mid-depth rims) somethign that’s kind-of worth having anyway?

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I think current concensus is that aero matters until the gradient is ~8%+, plus how fast you are travelling above ~15mph.

SaxonRider

I’m curious, @chakaping, how wide do you want to go in terms of tyres? My understanding is that once you exceed 28, any gains made by the extra width start to diminish with drag. And if you limit yourself to, say, a 28 maximum width, then you can probably consider any modern bike with discs.

But then, if you can get your hands on that Cannondale you have pictured above, why not just do that? It’s lovely!

chakaping
    Free Member

I think current concensus is that aero matters until the gradient is ~8%+, plus how fast you are travelling above ~15mph.

I’m almost always riding solo, roughly 20mph on the flat.

But then, if you can get your hands on that Cannondale you have pictured above, why not just do that?

I think I am leaning that way, but some alternative options are less than half the price (used obvs)… so I’m trying to think it through thoroughly.

djflexure

bb30 always put me of the carbon Dale’s. Have they moved on from that?

swdan
    Free Member

I bought a 2020 105 disc supersix last year. Loved the bike but it had a problem with the seatpost, something which I’ve been told by a couple of shops is a common problem. They tried replacing the alloy post with a carbon one but it had the same problem.

Ended up getting a specialized Tarmac as a replacement and like the equally as much.

My thread on it is here if you want a read.

Cannondale Road bike – Creaking seatpost

mboy
    Free Member

Just to throw a spanner in the works… Have you considered the modern Scott range?

My GF has an Addict Disc, must say it’s an impressive bit of kit for the money. If I was in the market for a carbon disc bike right now, the Addict or possibly a Foil disc would be at the top of my list on the budget you mention.

joebristol

I’ve got a Caad12 105 disc and love it pretty much – other than the 105 mechanical gears (non-series hydraulic levers). Running 25c GP4000’s I find it the comfiest road bike I’ve had to date. Running Hunt 4seasons road wheels and it’s about to get Ultegra Di2 to replace the 105.

Comfier than the caad9 / Giant OCR / Boardman Team Carbon I’ve had previously. The frame is a tiny bit heavier than the equivalent Supersix but I don’t think there was a huge amount in it.

Seriously like the look of the Caad13 disc and would add that to the list.

When I was looking I considered the Carbon Synapse disc as they were available at about the same price – but they were a chunk heavier and the handling of the Caad12 is more fun.

The weak point of the spec on most Cannondale’s are the wheels though – I part ex’d the standard wheels for the Hunts at the lbs I was buying the bike from before collecting it.

Touch wood the BB30a BB has been fine – my bike has the Si cranks and I’ve swapped the fsa semi compact rings for compact Spiderings.

The caad12 can run 28’s – I think the caad13 can go wider than that if required – and it has mudguard mounts I believe (which they 12 hasn’t).

That Supersix is also seriously nice.

chakaping
    Free Member

My thread on it is here if you want a read.

Food for thought, thanks.

Have you considered the modern Scott range?

I do like the looks of Scott’s bikes but they are priced a bit ambitiously and I wouldn’t like to go from the HMX to HMF versions.

mogrim

A Canyon Endurace would fit nicely into that budget: https://www.canyon.com/es-es/road-bikes/endurance-bikes/endurace/endurace-cf-sl-disc-7.0/2396.html?dwvar_2396_pv_rahmenfarbe=BK%2FGY&dwvar_2396_pv_rahmengroesse=2XS

(“Only” 105 though – not that there’s anything wrong with 105 of course!)

joebristol

A Canyon Endurace would fit nicely into that budget:

Last time I saw the endurance reviewed they said it was a brutally hard ride….

benman
    Free Member

I’ve got a 2018 Synapse disc as my winter bike, and the 2019 Supersix disc as my summer bike. The Supersix is definitely stiffer and more responsive, but the Synapse is more sure footed and is actually no slower… But it just feels slower! Maybe the hi-mod Synapse would be a bit stiffer and more responsive.

It terms of riding position, you can replicate a racey position on the Synapse, you just have to get rid of the big conical spacer.

If I was buying one as a summer bike, I’d go for a Supersix. It just puts more of a smile on my face. I realise I’m talking about the old one, but I’m assuming the new one can only be better…

mogrim

Last time I saw the endurance reviewed they said it was a brutally hard ride….

Really? I’ve got one (the 2018 model IIRC) and there’s nothing brutal about it, far from it. TBH I probably should have got something a little more agressive: I bought it thinking I’m nearly 50, most of my riding is 4hrs heading up and down mountains, it’d be ideal… but it’s a bit too comfortable.

joebristol

Really? I’ve got one (the 2018 model IIRC) and there’s nothing brutal about it, far from it. TBH I probably should have got something a little more agressive: I bought it thinking I’m nearly 50, most of my riding is 4hrs heading up and down mountains, it’d be ideal… but it’s a bit too comfortable.

I think it might have been an aluminium one in a £1000-£1500 bike test or something like that. I think a Specialized won the test….

chakaping
    Free Member

Benman – great stuff cheers, apparently the new Supersix feels like the old one but perhaps more comfy & aero? So given your comments and my preference for an engaging ride, that’s very helpful. How do you find the comfort difference between your bikes? Does the SUpersix ever feel rattly or fatiguing?

I bought it thinking I’m nearly 50, most of my riding is 4hrs heading up and down mountains, it’d be ideal… but it’s a bit too comfortable.

That’s kind of why I didn’t really love my old Defy, so another hint that maybe I don’t want a “comfort” bike really.

w00dster

I found the Synapse slower than my Supersix, noticeably slower. In fact I’d go as far and say as an all around bike the Supersix was the fastest and liveliest I’ve had. I’d get another if they were still at the 6.5kg range.
    If I was still racing I’d be on a second hand HMF (rim brake and nice light but aero wheels).
    I’ve had a lot of bikes, the vast majority considered top of the range at the time and the Supersix is just an awesome bike.
    My Aeroad may be faster on flatter rides, but for most rides the Supersix is the one for me.

benman
    Free Member

When the roads get rough, the Synapse is slighty more comfortable. This could partly be due to less stiff wheels and bars though (than my Supersix). As a year-round bike its superb because of the integrated full mudguard mounts.

However I’ll happily do big rides on the Supersix in comfort, its not harsh and unforgiving at all. I would have been doing the Whitton on it this year.

Unless the newer models are better, definitely budget for a wheelset upgrade. The Cannondale standard ones were incredibly heavy.

Oh and in case its important to you – my Synapse disc with Ultegra, Hollowgram cranks and Hunt alu wheels is about 7.9kg, and my Supersix disc with Ultegra, Hollowgram cranks and Hunt Carbon 50’s is around 7.6kg. So not much in it!

boblo
    Free Member

@chapaking This just underlines what a steal those CR1 SL’s were. I know it was a bit of a feeding frenzy on here and a couple of people sneered at the choice, but they do ride fantastically and are very light.

Assuming the frame is still OK, why not treat it to a nice light groupset and wheel combo. Get the weight down to ~7kg and carry on?

I keep looking. I’ve a ‘standard’ CR1 which is the year they stopped the Addict and remarketed it as the CR1 and a CR1 SL. The FrankenAddict has R8000 and Ksyrium Pro Carbon SL’s – so a nice build and the SL has Dura Ace, Reynolds Assaults and carbon everything. They are, still both fantastic. The standard bike is my travel bike and has done a lot of Alpine stuff. It must have 15k miles on it now. The SL is my special bike and flies. It’s really hard to find something special to replace them with though I’m not swayed by disc and thru axle for my lightest roadbikes which makes things, a bit easier.

We should do a ‘where are they now’ on the SL’s…

rOcKeTdOg

Trek Domane?

+1

Cracking bikes that sit right between endurance and sporty. Ride all day comfort but respond well when you feel like putting the hammer down, especially with a set of carbon rims

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Road bike decision time’ is closed to new replies.