Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road bike creak… emanating from hoods?
  • sheck

Am sure it’s the front end… As I only notice it at very low gears when pushing hard… I can’t replicate it at speed pushing hard. (As I will shortly be heading to the alps where this is what I will be spending long periods doing, I need to find a resolution…

so far i have:

had the headset stripped, cleaned and reinstalled nicely

swapped pedals… just in case

stripped stem and removed, cleaned and degreased bolts before reinstalling with carbon paste

done same with seatpost

I dont really have what it takes to get amongst the press fit BB myself

So final option before LBS is to get the hoods off, and clean / grease all bolts and cable clamps before re-clamping. Would almost certainly need new bar tape, so before I take the plunge, has anyone else solved annoying creaks this way?

Thanks

Klunk
    Free Member

SHimano Ultegra ?

sheck

Dura ace…

mayne 3 years old

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    imnotverygood

QR tight enough?

Klunk
    Free Member

what frame

sheck

Bianchi infinito cV

Klunk
    Free Member

you need to stick it in the toughest gear and sprint out of the saddle on the drops if it still creaks then it’s probably BB if not repeat on the hoods (assuming the front and back QR are tight enough).

sheck

It’s not the QRs

will give it another go tomorrow

Hopefully can eliminate one or t’other

Actaully hope it’s the hoods, as I can deal with that, unlike the BB

Klunk
    Free Member

also test it bare, ie no cages/pumps/bags attached… also depending on the wheels (mavic) spoke nipples can creak like a bitch (though easily fixed with a drop of oil).

sheck

Thanks Klunk

Wheels are Metron Visions… I have nipped up the rear wheel bearings as part of the investigation!

akira

Check saddle while you’re at it.

sheck

Creaks our of saddle too!

mrpeaski
    Free Member

test in the drops or on the tops to eliminate the hoods.

Could be attachment bolt needs a tweak

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Have you greased or put bearing lock on the seats for the headset bearings? I went through 3 different chainsets types years ago, just to realise it was the bearings moving in the frame. They were clean but moving enough just to creak a little. A bit of studlock sorted it.

sheck

I have greased the bearing housing in the head tube

boombang
    Free Member

Have you tried shimming the headset?

If you get same in drops or on tops it is worth a go.

I have two aluminium bikes running cassette headset bearings which need a ‘micro spacer’ or two to take up the slack and make sure the angled insert under the top cap sits home and doesn’t creak.

My LBS tried sticking loads of grease around the bearings but the creak would come back within a few miles. Couldn’t feel any play at all by the way.

They are 0.25mm shims that take up engineering tolerances between fork, steerer, bearings and other headset components. Is neater and easier than skimming the bike steerer tube!

My LBS hasn’t heard of them (dread to think how many BBs they have done needlessly because of it) but FSA distribute them and they are easily available on eBay or some online stores.

https://shop.fullspeedahead.com/en/micro-spacer-3479

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road bike creak… emanating from hoods?’ is closed to new replies.