Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Road Bike BB help please !!
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Seems I have a 42mm bottom bracket hole in my new road frame. Its unthreaded, but is baffling me on what I need to put into it? I am guessing at a KCNC BB30 style, but has anyone got any recommendations or help on this. I will be fitting a set of 105 cranks onto it, so a 24mm dia bearing.

neilthewheel

Something like this perhaps?

http://wheelsmfg.com/bb-30-shims-shimano.html

coatesy
    Free Member

Have you measured it correctly, 42mm isn’t matching anything i’ve checked. If it’s 41mm, then it’ll be a Shimano PF(insert shell width), from what i’ve just sourced.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mathewshotbolt
    Free Member

its likely an 86.5mm press-fit bb which shimano do for their cranks.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just remeasured it at 41.9mm and 68mm standard width. Last bit I need to build the bike is this. One standard would be a bonus for all bikes and less of a headache.

toppers3933
    Free Member

What bike is it. Some specialized use a 42 mm bb92 I think.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Has it got 2 grooves in it about 10mm in from each side?

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Its a Dolan Hercules carbon. Dolan have been a bit pants on helping to be honest and nothing on their website either.
    It has a step about 6 to 7 mm into the shell to then be about a mm wider again.

Rorschach
    Free Member

It’s bb30.You can fit a bb30 bb and then those wheels mfg adaptors up there or one of these and use your ht2 cups

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Cool, where can I get one of those shims?

Rorschach
    Free Member

here
    Tbh honest it’s probably something that’s better fitted by an lbs (and a cannondale dealer).It’s not permanent but it has to be pressed in and is a whole lot easier with the right tools…and they’ll put it in the right way round.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Cheers mate, all ordered. I have a headset press and sure with a bit of common sense, we can get it fitted. Do I use any loctite on this before I press it in?
    Luckily BB’s are marked on direction and side to go which side.

Rorschach
    Free Member

You’ll get some bearing fit with it.It is marked which way round it goes….though sometimes apparently I choose to ignore that 😳

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Oooops, I guess I’ll RTFM before I do…..( Read The F******* Manual). Groupset wont be here until Tuesday, shopping for bars today and then thats it, all bought.. Roll on next weekend for the first ride.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Road Bike BB help please !!’ is closed to new replies.