Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Road bike accident
  • simmy
    Free Member

Well it had to happen, I’ve had the Triban 3 since August and have done hundreds of miles without incident and have just fallen off turning right on a roundabout.

Its proper shook me up and knocked my confidence a bit. Luckily the tipper truck driver who was behind waited for me to pick myself up.

I’ve hurt my leg and have some road rash on my knee but it just feels like cramp in the back of my leg. I can still drive so that’s the main thing.

I really didn’t feel I was going too fast so honestly didn’t expect it to go from under me, there were no drain covers or anything.

Is it just a case of being really carefull cornering on a road bike in cold conditions or would a tyre upgrade help as I’ve read the standard B Twin tyres are a bit crap. Thinking about it, I locked the rear wheel about 5 mins previous to coming off just braking firmly to let a bus out. The MTB wouldn’t have locked up at that braking and speed.

Suppose I just need to get used to skinny tyres……..

tonyd

It happens unfortunately! No idea what the tyres are or how they perform but it’s possible you hit some diesel or something, not necessarily that your tyres are rubbish.

Sounds like you got off fairly lightly which is a good thing.

eskay

Black ice? A bit of it around at the moment.

cp

Rounabouts are classic for coming off. Particularly this time of year they have that cold salty grime layer. Combined with diesel etc… and cheap tyres, its a recipe for coming off.

Fwiw conti go 4 season are a quite an amazing tyre for staying upright and continuing to grip in cold weather slime when you really think you’re a gonner.

taxi25
    Free Member

Man up it happens.

irc

Skinny tyres do make a difference. I get noticeably less grip is marginal conditions on my Kaffenback with 28mm Gatorskins than I do on bikes with bigger touring road tyres.

Whatever size the Triban has if changing to a better tyre then going a size bigger may be worth it if clearances allow.

ricky1
    Free Member

surpriding how cold it is at the moment,i have a rear wheel drive van and in the last week its been sliding all over the place,yes I know its not a bike but same principle the roads are slippy and dangerous at this time of year,how many people have seen gritters out because its freezing and they should be ????????
    p.s.get back on the horse,hope your ok.

bigG
    Free Member

Take two, and get back out on the bike..

[/url] Untitled by BigG1968, on Flickr[/img]

mrmo
    Free Member

tyres MAY help, but to be honest damp oily roads are a fact of autumn/winter riding you just have to get used to. I tend to take it easy on those roundabouts that are frequented by oil burners, so bus routes, industrials estates, motorway junctions.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Glad you’re ok. Like mrmo says It’s that time of the year I afraid. My back wheel stepped out a bit on a roundabout a couple of weeks back and I’ve been mincing round them a bit since.

eskay

Was it a mini roundabout with a big white slippy circle printed on the road? They can be treacherous in these conditions.

eskay

Double post.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I broke my arm 2 weeks ago on some bloody diesel at a give way line. In plaster untill Febuary at least 🙁

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/uhhh-ohhhh-its-cracked-1

tomhoward

Rule 64

Sandwich

Always a bit scary when a lgv has to wait for you to get up after an unscheduled dismount. It happens though back on and ride some more.

simmy
    Free Member

It was what I’d call a ” midi ” roundabout, not a massive one but with a kerb and signs in the middle not just a circle like a mini roundabout.

Think it was the speed it happened what shocked me, one second going at what seemed a sensible speed then next on the floor.

It happened in a dodgy area so just pedaled the 5 miles home rather than wait for a lift and it also gave me chance to make sure everything worked 😉

I’ve not come off for ages so think it just the reality of how quick things can go wrong. Won’t stop me riding over the weekend but may just take the MTB as the road bike has a few battle scars now.

mrchrispy

Ouch that looks harsh.

lost it on ice is the day that like hell just got a keep going

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Road bike accident’ is closed to new replies.