Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Road bars…talk to me
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

I’ve no idea about road bars at all…

looks like i’m going to be starting a build, on the cheap, but decent components…

just wondering about bars, i’d like some carbon ones…but do they come in different sizes? shapes?

i know nothing… so what do i need to know

tah

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Get some alloy bars, they’re cheaper, so if you don’t like the shape, you can change them without losing much money.

clunker

As David says above play around with some alloy ones first. Easton EA50 Ergo are good for the price.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

i’d like some carbon ones…but do they come in different sizes? shapes?

Yes but there’s no weight or strength advantage over alloy and alloy are cheaper.

Personally I like a shallower drop with an anatomical curve (straight section in the curved bit to fit into your palms)

rOcKeTdOg

Hmm, i though 44cm bars were my size until i tried 42cm ones yesterday so its difficult to say, its not like you can cut them down. Having said that FSA vero bars have a shallow drop ideal for those not used to a roadie position and aren’t too heavy, feel good to hold too. You’ll feel weird after wide mtb bars but after the first panic “the brakes are in a different place” moment you get used to them

Haze

I have the FSA Vero’s, nice shallow drop and very comfy.

Having said that I’m partial to some Zipp Service Course SL’s to match my stem 🙂

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

What is the thinking behind the width of them?

crikey
    Free Member

FSA Omega compacts, cheap and brilliant.

Most road bikes these days seem to come with bars that are far too wide and far too deep, go narrow and shallow and you’ll actually use them.

Width should be as narrow as you can use, for aero reasons; even Tom Boonen has gone to narrower bars in the last couple of seasons.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

What is the thinking behind the width of them?

About shoulder width I think. Unless you’re massive, a 40cm or 42cm bar will probably be about right.

eshershore
    Free Member

try the Specialized BG Compact alloy bars, about £35 if you shop around? Easy to find in any Specialized dealer, very neutral shape with compact sizing

bar size is linked to bike frame sizing, in that smaller frame sizes will come with 40 or 42cm bars and larger frame sizes 44cm upwards. women’s bikes will run smaller width bars than mens for obvious reasons 🙂

not worth bothering with CF bars unless you know exactly what you want in terms of size and shape, and have money to splash about (there are better weight savings to be had for the same money on a road bike..)

recently? I was running Specialized alloy bars, had an opportunity to upgrade to a Specialized carbon fibre bar in the same size at minimal cost

all I can say its a difference in comfort on rougher roads, rather than weight or stiffness.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

Compact bars are often tapered so narrower at the top than the drops. My 42 wide compacts were only 40 on top.

Also note bar reach as this effects the reach to the hoods and drops.

Fitting bars seems to be an art and personal preference so give them a couple of decent rides before changing.

I went wider, anatomic and longer reach and the ride is transformed.

eshershore
    Free Member

@gravity-slave

good points – the problem with road bike fitting is that its extremely personal, in terms of what will work, and what feels just wrong

takes time, experience and money

even the type of bar tape used, and the way its wrapped, makes a big difference to your setup…in our workshop we can use 5 different bar tapes from the same brand, some thicker, some thinner, some different widths, some with gel inserts, some available with plastic cable hose covers, it all changes the way the bars feels in a dramatic way

globalti
    Free Member

Seconded the Specialized BG bars, they’re pretty good.

aa
    Free Member

tradition says bars are to be the same width as your shoulders, wider opens up your chest for better breathing. Narrow is more aero
    In the pro ranks theres a trend going narrower, i read somewhere that tom boonen is using 40cm bars and he’s 6foot 4 brick outhouse. Shape is hugely personal, we all have our favourites. I like bontrager bars, they’re a nice shape imo and are cheap.
    But, i’m trying to start a cinelli revival….
    As said before, carbon is not necessarily stronger, lighter or comfier. Try a few shapes in shops and see what you like.

simondbarnes
    mickolas
    Free Member

I like my deda rhm01. shallow drop “compact”bar. got 42cm anatomic (anything but!) fsa on one bike qnd don’t like them. my other bike has 44cm deda which were cheap as chips. recently got round to measuring my shoulders and found that from top of bicep tendon to tendon inside measurement is 44cm. so I feel there’s mileage in that measurement theory.

I’m 5’9″

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Zipp Service Course

Big fan of these, got them on both bikes. 40cm for the win, anything wider feels weird and I’m 6ft 1.

Don’t fk about with anatomic bars with ridiculous bends and curves, just get something which makes a nice flat transition to the hood.

sputnik
    Free Member

If you are interested in some Zipp Service Course traditional bend bars in 44cm then I have one for you at £20 plus postage.
    Very nice bars indeed.
    I am 6’4″ with wide shoulders and have changed to 46cm bars.
    I have not noticed myself going any slower since I have gone wider , in fact my PR’s on Strava are getter faster 😉

unovolo
    Free Member

I prefer shallow drop bars with a compact curve,have owned the so called anatomic shaped bars in the past and just cannot get a comfortable hand position in the drops.

Regards width ,usually should be the same as your shoulder width(bear in mind its not measured from the outside of your shoulders)

I have some Deda RHM 02 ,cheap,decent quality,stiff but not particularly light.
    No point splashing out on carbon bars ,even the bulk of pros use Alloy bars for reliability better off spending the money on decent carbon forks and Handlebar tape.

clubber
    Free Member

Just a point – different companies measure bar width differently. Some are centre to centre, some are outside to outside. You can usuually tell from the sizes available – c-c brands will usually do 40,42,44 sizes which o-o brands will usually do 42,44,46.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Road bars…talk to me’ is closed to new replies.