Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Road Bars to Flat Bars
  • nick86
    Free Member

Hi All,

Long time visitor, first time poster here. My carefully calculated man maths have been approved for me to start a new hardtail build under the condition that I convert the drop bars on my gravel bike to flat bars so the mrs can start using it.

I have a trek checkpoint AL3 – Its been a great bike and had some ace rides on it, but not quite the same as the hardtail I had before. (I had to sell it to raise funds for a house move.)

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/bikes/road-bikes/gravel-bikes/checkpoint/checkpoint-al/checkpoint-al-3/p/24969/?colorCode=white

I have tools and basic skills to get this done, but no parts, I know ill need new shifters, brake levers and the bar itself, maybe a longer stem. What sort of components would you recommend? Will any 9 speed shifter do the job and are brake levers suitable for any brake type? I have mechanical discs on my trek.

Appreciate any help and pointers, hoping to get this swapped over pretty quick so can start my hardtail project!

Cheers

Nick

akira

You might struggle a bit with this, drop bar bikes have shorter top tubes than MTBs so it’ll feel really upright with flat bars, also you can’t really mix road and mtb gears without some bodging. It’s probably going to cost more than you think and then end up not being what you want. Consider selling the checkpoint and buying something that fits the bill.

forked
    Free Member

The rear mech looks like an old style Shimano, so you may find an old MTB shifter works just fine.

I’m not too sure about the front mech, although you could always fit a single ring instead.

You’ll also need brake levers that are road caliper specific, these pull less cable than the MTB levers.

I’d probably try the current stem for length before buying another one.

Although as suggested above, you could try your luck selling it, second hand bikes are fetching good money at the moment.

pdw
    Free Member

Assuming cable brakes, would some inline brake levers on the tops solve the problem?

ayjaydoubleyou

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/2×10-road-derailleurs-with-2×10-shimano-mtb-shifters/

My similar question yesterday. Some good info in there on compatibility. (its more complicated than I thought/hoped)

nick86
    Free Member

Ah I didn’t see the post from yesterday so will have a read when I’ve finished work, looks great, cheers! Hadn’t considered the inline brake levers either so will research into that. I’m not really wanting to sell the bike for the time being, there is nothing local I would want to buy, however this is essentially going to be a fair weather pub ride kind of bike (once we are allowed) so doesn’t warrant a huge amount of spend either, was going to look second hand for parts.

The other modifications I was going to make are flat pedals and a new saddle, all in the name of comfort. I may just try these and see how she gets on.

Stainypants

If I was you rather than mess around with changing the levers. I’d swap out the brakes to hydraulic, that one of the advantages of going flat bar it a cheaper path to hydraulic brakes. Even the most basic tektro, Clarkes or bottom of the range Shimano hydraulics are going to be better than any cable discs.

I converted my GT grade with Spires which are one of the better cable disc to Shimano deores the difference is night and day.

Edit. Your options might be limited as it’s a flat mount though flat mount MTB brakes are starting to come out

martymac

Any 9 speed mtb shifters will work.
    All shimano mechs up to and including 9 speed are the same geometrically, (apart from dura ace 8 speed)
    They all use the same cable pull, so shifters are interchangeable.
    I use on my surly: 10spd dura ace bar ends (mounted like thumbshifters)
    10spd chain and cassette
    9spd xt mech.
    Works perfectly.
    Re brakes, I would (from experience) echo the advice above, go hydraulic, they are lots better, cheap deore trekking style ones with the 4 finger levers are absolutely fine.
    Re: stem length, you may be tempted to lengthen the stem, but the shortened reach of flat bars is sort of balanced by the fact that they are wider.
    When My mate converted his Genesis day one alfine 11 to flat bars, he actually shortened the stem by 20mm. He also fitted 4 piston zee brakes.
    He absolutely loves it, says it’s much better than the original.
    You may find if your wife is using relatively narrow bars that the original stem is fine.

turbo1397
    Free Member

Would shimano sora Flat bar shifters not do the job.. they also do a brake lever for rim brake or cable pull discs. I just built up a planet x pro carbon flat bar using tiagra 4703 shifters and levers on rim brakes and didn’t have any problems.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Everytime I see threads like this about converting between drop bars and flat bars or vice versa, I can’t help but think that unless the bike being converted is something really special and/or pricey, by the time you have bought all the necessary switch components you may as well have bought a new off the peg bike… And then decide whether to keep the old one you were contemplating converting.

Hydraulic braked hybrids and hardtails start at £300 from Halfords, for example.

martymac

Yeah, that is true, but the OP is doing it to keep his missus happy.
    Try telling your missus that she’s not getting what she wants, let us know how that goes 😂😂😂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Even the most basic tektro, Clarkes or bottom of the range Shimano hydraulics are going to be better than any cable discs.

This.

My bottom of the range shimano hydros on the go outdoors special are a lifetime better than the TRP spyres I had on it’s predecessor.

kerley
    Free Member

Would shimano sora Flat bar shifters not do the job.. they also do a brake lever for rim brake or cable pull discs. I just built up a planet x pro carbon flat bar using tiagra 4703 shifters and levers on rim brakes and didn’t have any problems.

Was thinking the same. Some Sora flat bar shifters and new flat bar lever brakes of your choice.

failedengineer

Definitely go for hydraulics – I put flat carbon bars (Ritchey from Merlin, about £45, bargain) on my Croix de Fer, got a 20mm longer stem and some basic Shimano hydraulics. Love it, really comfy and just as fast (for me). Much better control off road, too. The brakes aren’t up to XT standard of course (it’s the levers, I guess) but are streets ahead from the BB7s I had on the drop bars. I went 1 x 11 at the same time, too.

uwe-r
    Free Member

I’d suggest sell and buy a flat bar. You get so much more bike for your money with a flat bar and you will get a crazy price on the Trek right now.

A decent flat bar bike with hydraulic brakes new can be had for sub £500, you will get close to £500 for the Trek.

nick86
    Free Member

Thanks all for the advice… I quite enjoy pottering in the garage anyway so decided im going to have a bash at converting the bars using second hand parts, including some hydraulic brakes. If it starts to go horribly wrong ill just put the drop bars back on and sell the parts. Ill keep the thread going with progress updates (and most likely ask for more help).

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Road Bars to Flat Bars’ is closed to new replies.