Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • RMT reckon the New Tube Design is "Lethal"
  • jfletch
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-29520761

Potectionist scaremongering whilst holding the capital to ransom or a do the play genuine vital role in preventing armagedon on the tube every day?

molgrips
    Free Member

They claimed that driverless trains were just about saving cash.

Is that a problem? Surely reducing costs is good for most people…..

wwaswas

Apparently this is what they’ll look like once they go into service;

jota180
    Free Member

Apparently this is what they’ll look like once they go into service;

You’ve forgotten to post the ‘after’ pic

sobriety
    Free Member
    hooli

There are few things on this earth that I dislike more than RMT, I take whatever they say with a dumper truck of salt.

jfletch
    Free Member

sobriety’s link is eyeopening!

All a tube driver does on the Jubilie line (and others) is open the doors! They must be the best paid doormen in the world.

hot_fiat

Yep, typical RMT drivel, reminds me of the car industry in the late ’70s.

Just wait until Google collaborate with someone like Mercedes to release a truck and we can dispense with long distance lorry drivers.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Of course the RMT is worried, their drivers make £60k and work 35 hours a week. Hard to get another job like that.

wwaswas

I think driverless trains are ok as long as the other infrastructure is in place and sufficiently robust to never require a human override.

I think I’d want to be convinced that the whole of the underground network was ok though.

Driverless cars are here, driverless trains should be a foregone conclusion really.

Mackem

The Bilbao Metro was supposed to be driverless, but the public didnt trust them so they emplyed “drivers” anyway. Just sits there with his finger on a button.

At least, this is what I was told, good story, dunno if true.

Stoner
    Free Member

I die every time I take the DLR. Lethal it is.

cranberry
    Free Member

The new trains are only lethal to a revanue stream for the RMT.

wwaswas

Of course it does mean they can fit a few extra people on the front if there’s no driver;

ninfan
    Free Member

Between driverless trains, 24hr weekend service and the growth of contactless payment, I wouldn’t like to be an RMT negotiator at the moment 😕

bigyinn
    Free Member

Scaremongering to protect their member’s interests. That is all.

konabunny
    Free Member

wwaswas – Member
    Of course it does mean they can fit a few extra people on the front if there’s no driver;

That looks jolly – seems like those chaps have got some sort of real ale bar up there. Just the thing after a long day at work.

hatter

Of course the RMT is worried, their drivers make £60k and work 35 hours a week. Hard to get another job like that.

This, plus their strike activity so far has lost them the support of the vast majority of London Commuters for whom driverless trains can’t come soon enough.

I’m a bit conflicted as I tend to support collective bargaining in principle but the RMT really haven’t done themselves many favors recently and having lost public sympathy Cameron @ Co will positively relish putting their cosy little racket to the sword.

Edric64
    Free Member

And they can strike all they want because they wont be needed or missed if the trains are driverless

rebel12
    Free Member

RMT have done themselves no favours with all their selfish tube strikes in London. Driverless trains can’t come soon enough to stop the bas****s holding us all to rand some once more.

DrJ

AIUI nobody’s proposing that the trains should run driverless for a good few years yet, due to the unsuitable infrastructure in London. To be failr, it seems reasonable to say that you can’t compare an old very big system like the London Underground with a place like Copenhagen, that just has a couple of lines, brand new. But to go on strike NOW when all that’s proposed is replacing the old cattle cars with new comfortable trains seems a bit barmy !

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

I die every time I take the DLR. Lethal it is.

That’s surprisingly sloppy for you stoner. From the OP’s link :

Finn Brennan from Aslef, the train drivers’ union, said they would always oppose automated trains because the single-track, Victorian infrastructure was designed to be negotiated by drivers.

Currently, the Docklands Light Railway service operates driverless trains but its infrastructure only dates back to the 1980s.

By all means challenge Mr Brennan’s claim, if you feel you have evidence to suggest otherwise. But at least explain what it is.

allthepies
    Free Member

I would have thought that the tube tracks were designed to be negotiated by trains not drivers 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

But to go on strike NOW when all that’s proposed is replacing the old cattle cars with new comfortable trains seems a bit barmy !

They’re not. The strike has been called off and it was about ticket office closures, not trains to be introduced in 2030.

footflaps

I’m a bit conflicted as I tend to support collective bargaining in principle

Same here.

I also think there is a bigger problem brewing, I expect within my lifetime to see driverless trucks and cars on the roads, which is all very well unless you’re a truck driver….

We are going to have less and less low skill jobs available…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

That’s surprisingly sloppy for you stoner.

Sometimes, a fish only needs a simple maggot to be hooked. Fishing is a simple thing, some days. 😀

chrismac

As long as Londoners pick up the bill via higher fares then get on with it. I would object to the rest of the country having to fund the London commuter more than they already are

CountZero

CaptainFlashheart – Member
    That’s surprisingly sloppy for you stoner.
    Sometimes, a fish only needs a simple maggot to be hooked. Fishing is a simple thing, some days.

😆
    I understand stoner’s concerns; I tremble with fear every time I use the DLR! 😉

footflaps

I always thought the DLR was quite tame by tube standards……

TheBrick
    Free Member

RMT have done themselves no favours with all their selfish tube strikes in London.

I’ve said it before the RMT have been playing in to the hands of politicians for years with their overly aggressive stance. They have lost a large amount of public support but will continue to hold the same stance as its all they know. I’m generally in favor of unions and collective bargaining but the RMT are just self destructive.

grantway
    Free Member

Obviously RMT are worried as if they loose all there drivers then they will be made Redundant as them.

grantway
    Free Member

TheBrick – Member
    RMT have done themselves no favours with all their selfish tube strikes in London.
    I’ve said it before the RMT have been playing in to the hands of politicians for years with their overly aggressive stance. They have lost a large amount of public support but will continue to hold the same stance as its all they know. I’m generally in favor of unions and collective bargaining but the RMT are just self destructive.

You carry on thinking that !
    Basically the Underground told the drivers that all the trains where cleared and checked when the Underground was bombed so the train drivers went back on the trains and they still found various items on all trans during the panic. And when Boots had given all Train drivers a box of Truffles the Underground held them back from the Central line but finally had given them some time later.
    Basically there is a lot the Press and Underground do not tell you that is the truth, But I also blame the unions for not realising what really is happening.

alanl
    Free Member

The RMT spokesman is talking rubbish.
    Firstly, which Tube lines are ‘Victorian’?
    Doesnt he realise that there have been an awful lot of improvements since they were built, and have been subject to a massive upgrade over the previous 5 years (ok, it’s a rhetorical question).
    Automatic operation equipment is being installed on many other lines over the next few years, the Contracts have been signed for the signalling, and it can be used whenever LU decide to implement it, but the big stumbling block is the extra equipment required on the trains themselves, which is quite expensive, and not a good investment if the trains are going to be replaced.
    The ‘New tube trains for London’ will be automatic operation ready. This does not mean ‘no drivers’, just that they will be limited in their input – keeping all trains at a steady speed, braking/accelerating at equal speeds to each other train gives a far more robust service pattern, and something that cannot be done reliably by human drivers, so computers will take over the starting/stopping/speed moderation duties. Then when a train is meant to be every 5 minutes from platform 1, it will be, not as now where 1 comes, then 10 minutes elapses, and 2 come along within 2 minutes of each other.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

“London Underground is operating a good service on all lines!”

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

“London Underground is operating a good* service on all lines!”

*For a given value of the word “good”!

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I always smile ironically when I hear that flashy!

project
    Free Member

without drivers the RMT ould be nothing like as powerful, in recent years,british railways, eg uk run railways, guards have been taken off freight trains,along with second man drivers, a qualified driver who just sat there and read the paper

Sandwich

So there are going to be drivers on these “driverless” trains then alani?

I like that Captain it’s similar to my “shit is a quality” used in similar TQ debates.

ononeorange

What a complete advertising puff piece by the BBC there.

Jeez, more crap like the rubbish recently brought onto the Met with hardly any seats. I’ve switched to the Bakerloo just to avoid this rubbish and attempt to sit down.

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘RMT reckon the New Tube Design is "Lethal"’ is closed to new replies.