Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Rivington locals
  • richardkennerley

Bit of an odd question, the answer probably being “don’t be a fanny, just go ride.”

Do you ride there in the middle of the day on a Sunday? Or is that more hassle than it’s worth?

Being a shift worker I mostly ride mid week and it’s dead. Got the chance to go on Sunday, probably arrive around 10:30 and could do 2-3hr ride.

Is it likely to be dead busy at that time/antagonize the local walkers!? Can’t be arsed being glared/moaned at or adding to any ongoing disputes there may be!

chakaping
    Free Member

Totally fine, especially with rain forecast for Sunday.

It’s been a bit quieter than usual so far this summer. Very quiet last night.

duncancallum

Depending where you go and the weather.

I used to always go out early but if I was later on I’d just keep out of the way a bit

tops5
    Free Member

Any time is good. All the good stuff is away from the walkers anyway 🙂

MrSparkle
    Free Member

A heads up:

MadBillMcMad
    Free Member

Today’s and Sunday’s weather should fix that hopefully

richardkennerley

That’s a bummer. Raining here in Blackpool so hopefully the same over Bolton way

beer247

Just don’t go too late into the evening or you might encounter another sort of outdoor activity!

richardkennerley

🤣

Actually, thinking about that tweet up there. How do they actually enforce that? I’m not saying I’ll purposefully ignore the warning, but if I’d not started this thread i’d know nothing about it and go up there in ignorance!

chakaping
    Free Member

Actually, thinking about that tweet up there. How do they actually enforce that? I’m not saying I’ll purposefully ignore the warning, but if I’d not started this thread i’d know nothing about it and go up there in ignorance!

It just means don’t go wandering across the moors off the paths. You won’t be doing that anyway.

silasgreenback

Personally i woildnt go anywhere near the pike on a sunday. Usually mobbed.

Much better going from Abbey over great hill and then over tockholes / darwen tower area.

Half decent weather and you cant move for dogs, kids and eBikes lapping at stupid speeds round everyone.

Or better still if you can, go a little further and go over Burnley / Rossendale way.

chakaping
    Free Member

Personally i woildnt go anywhere near the pike on a sunday. Usually mobbed.

The actual Pike gets busy-ish, but I only ride up there once or twice a year.

Rest of the hill, and even the gardens, is totally fine even on a sunny day. And it’s not gonna be sunny this Sunday.

flyingpotatoes

Been rivington this morning. Very qúiet.
    Usually go at the weekend and can get busy after 10am especially if the weather’s ok.

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s deffo got quieter the last month or so.

Fuel prices maybe?

MadBillMcMad
    Free Member

Well perhaps I’m being an old fuddy duddy but regarding that tweet all I can find is the Bolton Council image.

I can not see a link to the original tweet, see nothing on natural England twitter, nor their website, nor their blog.

But it is probably just me.

richardkennerley

I’m not going to go up the pike or over the more so I guess I’ll be alright.

Really I’m mainly hoping to session a trail a few times to fiddle with my suspension a bit. Probably graveyard I think it’s called.

chakaping
    Free Member

Graveyard is running well.

I did surprise a couple of girls walking down it last night, we all had a good laugh though.

richardkennerley

Did a couple of hours this morning, it was busy. Plenty of bikers, but didn’t see anyone on the actual “trails!” No problems anyway. Apart from the huge dog pop someone left right at the exit to Triffids. I know it’s cheeky, but leaving a stinky brown egg there is worse behaviour.

2000ft climb and descend in a couple of hours and never more than a mile or two from the car. Can’t argue with that.

Good practice for hecklers wood at Ardrock next weekend 👌

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.