Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Rivington – alternatives to ICR?
  • higgo
    Free Member

If I was at the top of the ‘Ice Cream Run’ and wanted to get back to the barns but fancied a change to the ICR, where would I go?

I’ve been led down one way that was good. And I’ve explored and found some good bits but some not-so-good bits.

A map would be great!

lowey

If I was at the top of the ‘Ice Cream Run’ and wanted to get back to the barns but fancied a change to the ICR,

This does not compute. 🙂

Unless you have a guide then your best just spending an hour in the gardens exploring the paths. Literally tens of ways down.

Would also depend on the time of day though as the Gardens can get rammed with walkers.

robj20
    Free Member

Go back along that road past the pigeon tower and past the dog kenels, there are a couple of good ones down on the right.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    easygirl

Go back to the toilets, through the metal gate, down the 2 runs of steps(stairway from heaven, strava section)
    When you get to bottom of steps, go straight on, down another 2 steps, brings you onto blue lagoon, bear right, following lake edge, then drop to right down some more steps.This brings you out at a gate, on left, don’t go through gate, go straight across, taking some switchbacks, then fast rocky path to another gate, then you are near barn.
    Good downhill section, was kom on strava up till last week when a “mate” took it off me, 😀

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

lowey and easygirl are both descibing the same general area. There’s loads of stuff in there. Explore at your leisure or get someone local to guide you.
    Don’t know where robj20 is describing, as there’s nothing near the dog kennels until you get to Wilderswood (that could be what was meant).

ICR is not that good, the descents through the gardens are generally better IMHO.

Where-ever you explore up Rivi, don’t forget that you must submit the requisite application forms to Lord Lowey in triplicate at least 6 weeks in advance of riding, as it’s all his land. 😆

hallz
    Free Member

which segment did you hold the KOM on?

robj20
    Free Member

It is Wilderswood i’m talking about.

easygirl

from top of pike, to the gate through the gardens

badllama
    Free Member

I though they had stopped all the riding now through the gardens I was up the other week and there were signs?

Best thing is to go to the top do San Marino they ride your self back up to the top then ride Dog Kennels and back down 😀

Or do this via Turton and get 25 miles under your belt 😀

hallz
    Free Member

Have to say that in general i try and stay out of the gardens and very rarely ride in them. If i do then its more likely to be a climb back up the hill. I’m quite passionate about the Rivington Estate and Lord Leverhulme and i’m not that sure that riding down the steps is helping in the continued decline of the area. Thankfully it looks as though Lottery Funding is now in place to regenerate the gardens so hopefully improvements and repairs will be made in the coming months and years. Its likely though that with any improvements, mtb activities will be discouraged – just my personal opinion.

I’ve never been a big fan of the ICR either (by the way, is the ice cream van ever at the bottom of the run these days?!). I much prefer the runs that are serviced by the mast road. There are a good few rides up there on either side of the road. Just a shame there isnt a half decent trail linking the pike with the top of the mast road.

easygirl

I’ve lived in and ridden rivington since I was 10, the steps don’t look much different now than they did 35 years ago!
    I only ride them when there’s no-one around, and don’t ride any of the runs that have been made by riders, that are damaging the gardens.
    My dad used to work in the gardens and I have many happy memories from my childhood, 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Rivington – alternatives to ICR?’ is closed to new replies.