Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Rivington advice for tomorrow
  • richardkennerley

I know riding can be a bit sensitive round there, so generally I stick to the obvious stuff around Rivi, San Marino etc.

But is splitters edge rideable or advised against? I see it’s a segment on strava. Thinking ride over there from Belmont rd, then left at great hill down to white coppice.

I’ve never done that before so have no idea what the ground is like or if I’m just going to create hassle with walkers etc. If the consensus is don’t do it, then I’m happy not to.

Was going to do a loop round Rivi and take in Healy nab as well.

simondbarnes

It always used to be a massive bog unless a scorching hot summer or frozen. There are stone slabs across most of it now though.

duncancallum

Your ok as the swamp of deaths been flagged.

Theres still depending on your way down a bit of a bog past Joe’s cup down to white copice unless you stay on the main path n go through brinscall woods

richardkennerley

I’ve just google earth’d it. It looks leeks the entire route from Belmont road over to great hill and the feel runners memorial USD pretty good track then?

If I drop spank to brinscall or white coppice, is there a preferred route to Healey nab, it all looks like fairly complicated fp’s on the OS map?

duncancallum

Eh?

richardkennerley

Hehe, I didn’t proof read that then did I!

Now that I’ve google earth’d it, it looks like pretty easy navigating from Belmont road all the way past the fell runners memorial (is that Joe’s cup?) and down either white coppice or on to brinscall.

Coz I’ve never been that way before I just don’t know what to expect. Doesn’t need to be the gnarliest descent, just a half decent ride expanding my horizons a bit from standard Rivi!

chakaping
    Free Member

It’s part flagged now but the dirt surfaced bits get very sticky in the wet, I’ve found. Makes for hard going.

Seems like it’s been topped with clay rather than kitty litter.

Most walkers don’t GAF but just politely tell them not to be silly if you get any grief.

Let us know how it goes if you do head across there.

chakaping
    Free Member

The drop to white coppice is a stunner btw, one of our best bits of rocky gnar

duncancallum

Yeah Joe’s cup its behind a stone in the wall at the top of the coppice decsent.

It’s a blinder though the tops a bit boggy and rutty stay rights my advise.takes you all the way to the cricket club.

There are some nice tech lines in brinscal wood too.

richardkennerley

Thanks for the help fellas

Plan is park at bottom of ice cream run, ride up to the mast and down San Marino. Up Belmont road then to great hill. Wing it on the way downd depending on how I’m finding it. Swing by Healey nab, back to Rivi, up to the top and back down to the car.

timc
    Free Member

from Belmont id pick up witton weavers, go round the ressies which is fun to abbey village, road to brinscal & up great hill that way, just another option…

duncancallum

I’d if doing that ride up the road turn right past the playground up the path that’s parallel with the road

richardkennerley

Well I did it!

Route as above, up to the mast and down San Marino, up Belmont road and across to great hill, past Joe’s memorial and on to brinscall, back along the path by the river, swing by Healey nab, back to rivi, down the path by sheep fold lane to the bottom, back up to the pigeon tower and back down to the car.

Can’t believe I’ve never been over great hill before! Nice easy going (some big puddles today though) and the descent past the memorial is fun. The path to white coppice looked pretty awful today so I carried on. Took the bridleway through the centre of the woods but I figured there was some trails leading off that.

I’ll definitely head out there again to do white coppice and explore the woods a bit, but it was so muddy today it became a chore at points.

Healey nab was just a PIA, didn’t really enjoy it, been a few times before but it didn’t really do anything for me today!

Didn’t get any grief (there was no one out there.) Seems a shame is not a BW, it’s packhorse slabs all the way followed by a good wide rocky path.

23 miles and 3000ft in all.

windysurfer
    Free Member

The also the option of a cheeky Black Brook footpath when you get to the bottom of the good bit of Great hill ,pops out at the top of the rocky decent into White Coppice, bit boggy in places worth a look. There’s also a couple of fun descents in White Coppice woods.

chakaping
    Free Member

So how was the climb up from Belmont Road to Spitler’s Edge? Not a sticky, draggy PITA after all then?

richardkennerley

No it was fine. The way down from the little shelter thing towards the memorial got pretty claggy in parts, thick wet clay. I somehow got one peddle caught in a clump of it, made a right mess!

I’d like to get up there again when it’s a bit drier, The first part of the white coppice path looked virtually impassable today, next time I’ll put the effort in!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Rivington advice for tomorrow’ is closed to new replies.