Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • River levels
  • martinhutch

Has been pissing down consistently all night, and then all today, over our neck of the woods. Some of the river gauges are starting to hit records.

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map

Hopefully you’ve all got dry feet, but I think we might have a couple hours more at least..

brant
    Free Member

Quite edgy in Hebden right now.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, typical spring weather here, wet and windy as ****. It’s the most over rated of all the seasons!.

derek_starship
    Free Member

We’ve had 35mm rain in Salford since midnight.

M66 motorway has been closed most of the day due to flooding.

martinhutch

Quite edgy in Hebden right now.

Yeh, was watching the levels there. The feeder becks are massive, fingers crossed. Have you had any flood alleviation work at all done there since last time?

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Severn in Shrewsbury has burst in Monkmoor area. Not seen it this high all winter.

CountZero

Just bloody windy down here, and has been for days, and it’s getting exhausting, just trying to walk around.

brant
    Free Member

Yeh, was watching the levels there. The feeder becks are massive, fingers crossed. Have you had any flood alleviation work at all done there since last time?

A lot of work has been done, and still being done.
    It has made a massive difference. Market St (the main road through town) would usually be flooded by now and it’s all fine. I mean there are still three flood road closures between my house in Hebden and Chipps, but it’s a lot better.

I’ve never seen as much water in the river behind CoOp. And it’s usually all over the road too.

Will be an interesting night.

martinhutch

A lot of work has been done, and still being done.

Is it holding back the water draining into the Calder from the moors, or just higher flood barriers? Be interesting to see if the problem just turns up further down if it’s the latter.

dawson

Missus and kids are away for the weekend in Linton near Grassington – sounds like they are stuck in the village because of flooded roads

hedley
    Free Member

Pretty wet up here in Innerleithen and I’ve just dropped my wife off at the Deerstalker which takes them via a river…

tee hee.

Home 2020

brant
    Free Member

Is it holding back the water draining into the Calder from the moors, or just higher flood barriers? Be interesting to see if the problem just turns up further down if it’s the latter.

Local groups have been doing amazing stuff with leaky dams and stuff on the hills.

Market St is dry because there’s better drainage off the hill, into river and canal.

Which then means, yes, it has to go somewhere and I’m hearing things about downstream (Leeds) that aren’t great.

alanl
    Free Member

No kayaking this week. The rivers levels are just too high in Wales, North Mids and South Yorks.
    The Tryweryn river is a dam release, which usually releases from the dam at 9 cumecs at the weekend, it has been running at 16 cumecs since thursday to release the water from the reservoir whcih was threatening to overflow.
    A few hardy kayakers were there today, but the release is far too high for most.

martinhutch

Missus and kids are away for the weekend in Linton near Grassington – sounds like they are stuck in the village because of flooded roads

Linton is notorious for that. Levels on the Wharfe seem to have topped the record near Kilnsey.

https://www.gaugemap.co.uk/#!Map/Summary/1879/1989

By the looks of traffic reports on Google Maps, the Wharfe may have gone over the A65 near Ilkley.

bearnecessities

I dug out to lay a patio and have ended up with a pond..

martinhutch

Is your missus going to be sleeping with the fishes?

brant
    Free Member

Canal at back of ST Towers

martinhutch

Is that, this?

brant
    Free Member

Yes

Tracey

We are up in the camper at the Strid. Been out all day in the rain and the Wharfe is very high. Wasn’t far below us on the Bolton Abbey crossing.

martinhutch

The Strid is scary at the best of times. You been out riding, or tea-shopping?

bikebouy
    Free Member

Bloody hell, Hebdens getting it again😱

Thats an impressive photo, the devastation must be awful..

Its just bloody windy down here on the Coast, managed 35knts over an hour windsurfing earlier..

Stay safe..

Northwind

I suppose the lock gates will always cause a problem there?

Ours are all pretty low but we’ve got direct flood control, they pretty much drained the reservoirs above in the dry spell in preperation.

nickc

stopped raining in Heb now

brant
    Free Member

stopped raining in Heb now

For now 😉

Apparently. Hiding in Drink.

nickc

Speaks volumes that you still can!

brant
    Free Member

Speaks volumes that you still can!

Mart said he wasn’t going until there was water coming in the door. Slight bit of damp on Market St which the Flood Wardens have flagged off, but all good.

Keg line 3&4 are epic. And 1.

Tracey

Just out walking

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The main road at Kilnsey Crag is impassable, but the back road (on other side of wharfe) is OK.

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a couple of resurgences just past Kilnsey crag that emit serious amounts of water.

Ribblesdale looks like it’s semi-submerged from this video: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-england-york-north-yorkshire-47597587/yorkshire-three-peaks-challenge-walkers-asked-to-stop

martinhutch

Oooft! Not seen it like that before. Gonna be interesting to see how big the Wharfe is in Tadcaster tomorrow.

I hope no-one was dumb enough to go caving this morning.

whitestone
    Free Member

I nipped down to the shops this morning and there was some serious flooding on the road down the hill, been a long while since I’ve seen it that bad. Didn’t nip along the top so couldn’t see what the Aire is like above Cononley and Bradley but I’d imagine the only thing showing is the railway line. I notice on the BBC site it says Skipton to Lancaster rail services are disrupted.

Hopefully the recent works by Skipton golf club have meant Skipton beck not overflowing.

Kuco

Local river is up slightly, sluices open but no locks reversed so not to bad.

nach
    Free Member

@brant, that canal photo is from 2015 I think. As Mark pointed out in the replies, that’s the STW office and it has solar panels on the roof nowadays.

brant
    Free Member

@brant, that canal photo is from 2015 I think. As Mark pointed out in the replies, that’s the STW office and it has solar panels on the roof nowadays.

🤦🏻‍♂️

nickc

Balls, abandon ship!! Flooded out. Diverted most of the water away from the house, so it shouldn’t get too wet, but carpet ruined at the very least. Managed to book a hotel room for tonight

martinhutch

Nice to see STW leading the fight against #fakenews. 🙂

seadog101

River Tees, normally dry over this guage station, just the cut in the middle takes the water

I tried to post a video of High Force, but it’s buried in FB…

martinhutch

My old house in Teesdale was a bit susceptible to flooding off the field opposite, so it might have been a lively day up there.

Riksbar

Seadog101, picture not showing but I’d guess it’s Broken Scar?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘River levels’ is closed to new replies.