Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Rival vs GRX for a (1x) gravel bike
  • metalheart
    Free Member

Quick query, I’ve ordered a gravel bike.

I went 1x GRX for the group set.

Just been advised that GRX is not available for my bike until October. I can bring this forward a month if I shift (excuse the pun) to Rival 1.

Same cost, but I’m a Shimano man, never used SRAM.

Wait it out or go Rival. Pros/cons any advice?

joebristol

Most people will probably say wait for grx I expect.

I’d take rival as I prefer double tap shifters to the shimano way of shifting – plus I prefer Sram brakes generally to shimano.

metalheart
    Free Member

Never used double tap, wouldn’t see it as a deal breaker though (only mtb shifters currently to contend with) 😜

joebristol

Double tap has solidly mounted brake levers with just one paddle that sits inside them that you either tap to shift one way or push in to shift the other.

Shimano shifters have a similarly placed paddle to shift one way, but the whole brake lever pushes in to go the other. I’m not a fan of that moving brake lever at all having used 10 speed doubletap and much preferring it.

I’ve actually now got shimano Di2 shifters which replaced normal 105 levers – it didn’t cost much more to go that route then replace all the shimano stuff with Sram Rival or Force.

mashr

Not a huge fan of SRAM shifting (mostly for the cable routing in the lever and the flimsy mechs) but having brake levers that only move in one axis is a great thing off road imo

The actual double-tap way of doing the shifting is really good too. Once you realise you have to set the mech up slightly differently (for the hidden extra shift so you don’t accidentally change up when you’ve run out of gears)

AlexSimon

My main reason for wanting GRX is the hydro cross-top brake levers.
    Other than that, I’m pretty happy with my Sram force 1

mashr

Do people really use top levers? Always thought that the only times you’d want to use them are also the times you absolutely wouldn’t want to be holding a 300mm wide bar

NormalMan

I’m a Shimano man for MTB but for drop bars I’d say I prefer double tap (unless we are talking Di2)

chestrockwell

I’ve got a gravel bike with Sram Rival (disc) and road bike with Shimano 105 (caliper). I’d be waiting for the Shimano, Sram feels flimsy to me.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Only time I’ve tried SRAM double tap was on a turbo in Halfords ~3.5 years ago on the Boardman CX Team 2016, after close to an hour I couldn’t reliably shift into the gear I wanted, it felt so different to the Shimano STIs I’d been used to for ~20 years.

jeffl

I’ve always been a Shimano fan for MTB groupsets. My first road bike came with Rival 22 and I figured it would be dross like the SRAM MTB stuff. I’ve been pleasantly surprised. After swapping it onto a second bike I’m still on the original mechs and shifters which have covered over 9,000 miles of commuting, soft roading and generally being abused and ignored. The only thing I’ve had to replace is normal chains, 2 cassettes and one chainring. Don’t know what their hydro road brakes are like as mine run BB7s. Double tap is easy to use, for me, you even get used to not trying to change up or down a gear when you get to the end of the cassette.

The only negative I have is the crappy SRAM BBs. Don’t know if that’s better with the newer DUB standard? On the road bike it’s just about manageable with a change every 6 months. However I do overfill them with grease prior to fitting.

scotroutes

Given it has taken you 3 years to get around to ordering the bloody thing, I’d like to suggest that waiting an extra month isn’t exactly problematic.

metalheart
    Free Member

Given it has taken you 3 years to get around to ordering the bloody thing, I’d like to suggest that waiting an extra month isn’t exactly problematic

I’m hurt.

I’ve paid for it. I want it. NOW!

Early September vs ‘sometime’ in October (groupset dependent, it may be further delayed). Them minky aiberdonains might hiv dragged er jandies up here by them!

Plus you know shiney!

piemonster

LOL @ Scotroutes

Anyway, GRX

zilog6128

Rival 1 is excellent, plus I much prefer Double Tap to the Shimano way of shifting. Also less waiting!! Literally no reason to go Shimano 😂

cookeaa

Have SRAM improved the failure rate for the doubletap levers?
    I’ve no problem with the method/action of shifting for either, I’d even say the brake levers not moving sideways is a minor benefit of the SRAM design, but I know their earlier 10 speed Drop levers had a habit of failing on the little pivot block at the top of the gear lever and spares were not readily available for that specific part.
    Yet another example of SRAM making slightly less durable kit…

For that reason I stick to Shimano (or Gevenalle) drop bar levers over SRAM.

mashr

Am I right in thinking that GRX get a similar rattle to SRAM levers? Could be a good differentiator if they don’t

scotroutes

joebristol

All my shimano levers have got a rattle in anything other than smooth surfaces. I’ve only had the Di2 ones this year so far and I think they’re rattle free right now – but then they have a solidly mounted brake lever and buttons rather than proper moving paddles. So I’m hopefully they won’t rattle.

Northwind

If I convert mine, I’ll definitely want the “solid” brake levers and seperate gear levers… I mean, the sidey-brake-lever thing is really neat and tidy but I kind of want my brakes to just be the best brakes they can be, and not to moonlight at also being gear levers.

metalheart
    Subscriber

I’ve paid for it. I want it. NOW!

Me: Agonise over decision for a year. Impulse buy thing on a friday. Pay extra for fast postage. Fume all weekend. Arrives monday. Put thing in garage for a month before doing anything with it.

metalheart
    Free Member

Scotroutes, as ever, is being a bit fast and loose with truth.

Yes, I have been talking (loosely) about a gravel bike but I’d not really taken it seriously until 3-4 months ago when I hated riding my mountain bikes on the road during lockdown, it depressed me, I wanted to be off-road… 😢

I decided a couple months back I was going to get one (for when the second wave (TM) hits). I ordered one and didn’t hear anything back re. a predicted build/delivery. Now I know why. I ordered it in anticipation/hope of being able to use it last week in August, that’s not going to happen now. It was never guaranteed.

If we get locked down again I’ll want it….

rOcKeTdOg

GRX is worth waiting for just for the lever feel. The group set was designed with gravel in mind not just a rehashed road group like Srams. Plus bleeding is so much more simple and the shifting is smooth & doesn’t feel clunky like you are changing gears on an agricultural vehicle

scotroutes

TBF, metalheart lives on a farm.

(this might also not be 💯 % accurate)

didnthurt

Already a thread on GRX.

Shimano Grx

I’ve got GRX 600 1x on my Trek Crockett, I like it. Built it up myself and bought the groupset from Germany which arrived in less than a week.

Brakes are very good, shifting is good, not quite as as slick as my Shimano road 105 shifters but I expect that to do with the clutch mech. No rattle to report yet. Easy to bleed too.

Not a fan of SRAM double tap either, I couldn’t get the hang of it when having a shot of a pals bike before.

RichBowman

I had Force 1 – now on GRX. I prefer the feel of the GRX brakes and shifting – though obviously that’s subjective. I do find the Shimano easier to set up and shift smoother compared to SRAM – seems more tolerant. My SRAM stuff would be fine for a week or so, then need fettling again. Of course, that could be my ineptitude.

If I were buying a new gravel bike again, I’d only go with the GRX, even if it meant waiting a month extra.

Rich

mashr

The group set was designed with gravel in mind not just a rehashed road group like Srams

Other than marketing, what does that actually mean?

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks everyone for the comments/advice.

I’m obviously biased towards the GRX (it’s what I ordered) but the ‘loss’ of 4-6 weeks riding during Sept/Oct is a strong push (especially with the schools going back tomorrow, the jandies‘ll chappin at mi door!).

Lack of compatibility (and familiarity) for set up, operation, brake fluid, tools, etc. makes me consider waiting though…

Just how marked is the Shimano/SRAM longevity gap (I mean we let Campag be relegated to Shimano, one wears in the other wears out, remember that old chestnut?).

metalheart
    Free Member

TBF, metalheart lives on a farm.

(this might also not be 💯 % accurate)

This made me laugh. 😂

Technically I live in a farm cottage, so it’s close enough (even for me) 😂🤣😜

rOcKeTdOg

Other than marketing, what does that actually mean?

The hood and lever shape is much better than the road version, there’s a platform for your fingers to hold that really works on rough stuff to give better grip to stop your hands being bounced off. Like the “two finger” blade on an MTB brake compared to the longer touring style. The ergonomics have been well thought out

Andy_Sweet
    Free Member

I’ve got SRAM on my one year old gravel bike (aprx not rival). Rear mech and front caliper have both failed and needed replacement. Last time i buy SRAM

joebristol

Apex is the equivalent of NX though really. I wouldn’t buy SX or NX Sram as the cheapie stuff isn’t great. I’d start at Rival or GX respectively (and have had both).

metalheart
    Free Member

Thanks all. It’s been really helpful.

I’m waiting for the GRX.

dudeofdoom

Ooh so you’ve now got a bit of time to save for/think about the benefits of GRX di2.

You know you want it 🙂

Jase
    Free Member

Are you buying a complete bike or is it a custom build?

Just wondering if you have the option of getting the groupset elsewhere as I got 810 about 4 weeks ago for about £635 and a friend did similar last week so places do have the parts in stock.

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have rival 11 speed, its clunky shifting.

You can’t brake and downshift at the same time as the lever hits the bars (WTAF?)

Get GRX

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, it finally turned up today… 😍

Just need to get out on it and see how it rides…

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Rival vs GRX for a (1x) gravel bike’ is closed to new replies.