Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Rising Sun, Queen St (off Deansgate/Brazenose/Lincoln Sq) Manchester- any good?
  • IHN

Looking for a decent place for a pint and a butty at lunch that’s near Spinningfields. Current suggestion is the Mark Addy, but frankly that’s a bit of a dump.

dooosuk
    Free Member

Hasn’t the kitchen closed at the Mark Addy? Refurb costs too high from memory.

IHN

Wouldn’t surprise me, what came out of the kitchen last time I was there (Oct/Nov ish from memory) wasn’t too special

dooosuk
    Free Member

Here you go:
    http://www.manchesterconfidential.co.uk/Food-and-Drink/Mark-Addy-To-Close-Manchester

I’d get a sandwich from Katsouris and then get a drink from any pub.

konagirl
    Free Member

The City Arms on Kennedy Street got a vote here: http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/manchester-city-centre-pub-recommendations

Not a pub, but if it’s still going the El Rincon did lovely tapas, less than 10mins walk. The entrance is on Longworth Street.

binners

The Rising Sun is always full of solicitors.

The Nags Head behind it is a great boozer, and used to do good food. If you like pies, n stuff. And who doesn’t? And you can have a game of pool too. Not that I used to spend every single lunchtime in there when I worked at City Life. Honest.

They also used to have a sign above the bar that said “Tired? Rooms are available for power naps, by the hour” 😀

hora
    Free Member

Wheres the link for Manc councils cleanliness rating? I looked up the Ox once and was shocked at what they were rated (1 out 5).

IHN

City Arms is too far really (although I like it)

Nags Head is another option

crispo
    Free Member

I went to the Rising Sunday on Sunday afternoon and was totally underwhelmed. For good food and beer in that area try the Oast House in spinningfields. Regularly have Loweswater Gold and Jaipur on plus the food is tasty.

IHN

Don’t fancy the Oast House. It’s nice enough, but it’s a bit, well, ‘Spinningfields’

Basically I’m after a nice pint, a decent cheese butty and probably a bowl of chips. I have simple tastes 🙂

binners

Actually, The Knott is within a quick stroll of Spinningfields, and does good food and beer

How come you’ve ended up in the city’s most soulless place anyway? I hate Spinningfields with a passion! Its a like a void in the centre of manchester. A steel and glass vacuum.

IHN

Even The Knott’s a bit too far – fella I’m going with has a pretty strict lunch hour.

I’m contracting at everyone’s favourite tartan nationalised financial institution. Until Friday, after which I’ll hopefully be contracting for everyone’s favourite middle-east-backed branch-shedding financial institution.

My morals are as simple as my tastes 🙂

derek_starship
    Free Member

Binner’s on Spinningfields.

Nags Head if you want some scran. I do like the Sun for a pint and dry roasted.

binners

When I run the planet (not long now folks!) its getting carpet bombed. I’ll give you the heads up

Can’t decide which which feel my vengeful wrath first though. There, or the Trafford Centre?

Oh… just remembered… theres the Bridge on Bridge Street too. Thats a good boozer that does good food

IHN

Do the Trafford Centre, at least Spinningfields is pleasant in the summer 😉

Indeed, I went to the Trafford Centre for the first time ever on Saturday (thanks to being bought some vouchers for Christmas that could only be used in the North Face shop there)

I came away with a hatred for the place and two pairs of socks that I don’t really need…

ourmaninthenorth

I probably wouldn’t lunch at any of them. Swap the butty for another pint.

You’ll feel better about working for Alex Salmond’s old employer….

IHN

Well, I can report that the Nag’s Head doesn’t do food at lunch, but the Rising Sun does an excellent burger for £6. It also has a cracking slection of beers, shame I could only have one 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Does the Rising Sun have a beer patio on its roof? I vaguely remember it from a few years ago (if its that one?) Felt weird sitting on a tiny roof pissed.

binners

Thats the Nags Hora. I’ve had plenty of long, liquid lunches in there. 😳

Has it still got the frankly obscene, sort of renaissance style orgy mural in the bar downstairs?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Rising Sun, Queen St (off Deansgate/Brazenose/Lincoln Sq) Manchester- any good?’ is closed to new replies.