• This topic has 9,004 replies, 349 voices, and was last updated 5 days ago by binners.
Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 9,005 total)
  • Rishi! Sunak!
  • trailmonkey

When your ideology is broken

Neoliberalism is only broken if you assume that it was ever sincerely designed to benefit society as a whole.
    I’d suggest that far from being broken, it’s a finely honed, superbly managed system that in 40 years has totally succeeded in its aims.
    Unfortunately.

ernielynch

They won’t do anything about a collapsing social care system because the fundamental problem is that there are enormous numbers of vacancies and no staff. Hmmmmmmmm…. I wonder why that is?

So once again the country is held hostage to right-wing Brexit ideology

Well that’s depressing. If it is true and it has nothing to do with a lack of funding it means that a change of government won’t have any effect, the problem will remain.

rone

Neoliberalism is only broken if you assume that it was ever sincerely designed to benefit society as a whole

Going by how it has been sold to us.

I’d say it was broken on its own terms, as well as what you say.

ernielynch

It is important imo to make a clear distinction between stated aims and actual aims.

There is little doubt imo that neoliberalism has been massively successful in both making the wealthy elite wealthier, and keeping them in political power.

mattyfez

Well that’s depressing. If it is true and it has nothing to do with a lack of funding it means that a change of Conservative or Labour government won’t have any effect, the problem will remain.

FIFY

molgrips
    Free Member

Lack of vacancies is linked to funding. If it paid really well there’sd be more applicants for social care jobs.

ernielynch

FIFY

Well done for pointing out that the current government and the next government will either be Conservative or Labour.

Probably a given to most people but should nevertheless be pointed out.

mattyfez

Well done for pointing out that the current government and the next government will either be Conservative or Labour.

Probably a given to most people but should nevertheless be pointed out.

Read what I said, or rather edited what you said… in other words this problem will not go away under Labour or the tories. They are both pro brexit, anti FOM parties, this probelm will exist with either.
    Other political parties are available that do have solutions.

kelvin

Other political parties are available that do have solutions.

I also have solutions. But have even less chance of replacing Sunak than Ed Davey, Carla Denyer or Adrian Ramsay.

Anyway, money is needed for training and recruitment. Some was announced loudly several times, and much of it later removed quietly. As has been Sunak’s way both as Chancellor and PM. The money wouldn’t have ended up on the front line anyway… consultancies would have hoovered it up.

Casting the recruitment net wider is also needed. And that includes being more welcoming and accomodating to people from overseas. Something will have to give there at some point.

mattyfez

I also have solutions. But have even less chance of replacing Sunak than Ed Davey, Carla Denyer or Adrian Ramsay.

Great, so don’t be part of the problem by voting labour and perpetuate the status quo. As long as people feel they have to vote labour (because tories are bad), then nothing will change.

Ok Labour might get in for a term or two, and slowly start to beging unpicking the tory stuff they don’t like, before it gets chance to impact anything then the tories will be back in afterward when people get pee’d off with labour, as they inevitably will, and set fire to everyting labour may or may not have started to enact.

kelvin

Ok Labour might get in for a term or two

That’s step one. I mean, there may be other paths towards improving the UK, but any that involves the Conservatives immediately getting another decade to do their thing to the least well off in our society can get in the sea. You may want to play that long game, but I’d consider it too selfish to play myself.

mattyfez

We’ll have to agree to dissagree, then. Labour voters are just usefull idiots as far as the tories are concerned.

ernielynch

We’ll have to agree to dissagree, then. Labour voters are just usefull idiots as far as the tories are concerned.

But not quite as useful as the LibDems I wager Holmes.

kelvin

All depends on the seat of course.

mattyfez

All depends on the seat of course.

And the only party that will put PR into place are the Lib dems, it’s not in labours interest as they know they’ll get a go at the steering wheel sooner or later, if only for a term or two, during which time they will achive pretty much the sum of sweet F.A.

And whatever they do achive will instantly get burned to the ground the second the tories inevitably get back in thereafter.

rone

It is important imo to make a clear distinction between stated aims and actual aims.

There is little doubt imo that neoliberalism has been massively successful in both making the wealthy elite wealthier, and keeping them in political power.

Good point.

Trickle down being the fail but inequality being the win.

dissonance

You may want to play that long game, but I’d consider it too selfish to play myself.

Not sure its being selfish thinking beyond just the next five years. Possibly more the opposite.

Northwind

molgrips

Lack of vacancies is linked to funding. If it paid really well there’sd be more applicants for social care jobs.

NoBoDy WaNtS tO wOrK aNyMoRe

dissonance

Thats inaccurate.
    Just look at all those tory MPs who selflessly volunteered to work extra days on top of their mp workload to help out a South Korean company for a paltry 10k a day.
    Thats the get up and go attitude this country needs.

mattyfez

molgrips

Yup, a friend of mine had to quit social care looking after adults with downs, etc, he just couldn’t afford to live on minimum wage or less after unpaid overtime, so he retrained and does something else now.

I personally know a lot of people who work at the arse end of social care, and they simply don’t get paid enough to retain staff. I’m not talking about house managers or whatever, I’m talking about the people who litteraly have to bath and toilet people who are incapable of doing it for themselves.

They generally do the job until they get burnt out and quit.

The NHS is going the same way.

kelvin

I personally know a lot of people who work at the arse end of social care, and they simply don’t get paid enough to retain staff.

Amen.

Still, I’m sure throwing away votes and letting Sunak carry on as PM will get social care sorted. Long game and all that. Worth it to feel like you’ve made a stand for PR sometime after 2035.

mattyfez

Vote Lib dem, then, this ‘must vote labour to get the tories out’ theme is not going to change anything.
    Labour are not interested in PR, not interested in the EU, they simply rely on ‘we’re not quite as shit as the tories’ voters, ‘give us a go at driving the bus thats on fire and has no wheels.’

We need political reform, and we need better integration with the EU… and, plot twist, you won’t get that with labour.

dissonance

Worth it to feel like you’ve made a stand for PR sometime after 2035.

Well I guess we could go for the apply a couple of thin patches government but increasingly normalise the damaging practices and encourage the tories to go even further in 2035.
    I mean its a plan.
    It didnt work out well last time but hey why not try again.

mattyfez

So you’d sooner encourage someone to vote for a party that you have no beleif in, or aspriration to?

Seems like a silly way of voting if you ask me.

Klunk
    Free Member

was never a fan of Carol Vorderman but here twitter feed is just open warfare against the tory party

this was funny against Lee Anderthal

she’s posting endless twitter bios of tories pretending not to be tories

rone

Oh those darn pesky markets.

MSP

Carol Vorderman’s twitter feed is unexpectedly fantastic.

rone

…And another solvable problem attributed to the Government’s pretend lack of money.

Drives you mad.

martinhutch

Carol Vorderman’s twitter feed is unexpectedly fantastic.

It’s like someone flicked a switch inside her head and she’s gone full rottweiler against this bunch of Tory spivs. She’s unrelenting.

Oh those darn pesky markets.

At least we found the one person dumb enough to buy currency at the airport.

rone

Sarah Vine dumb? 🤣

martinhutch

Sarah Vine dumb? 🤣

Hard to believe, I know.

theotherjonv

Don’t label the person, label the act. Buying currency at the airport is dumb.

Sarah Vine seems to have done a number of dumb acts.

kelvin

Why is EVERYTHING in this country such a rip off?

I said back in 2016… give it enough time for Brexit to be in the rear view mirror and “RIP OFF BRITAIN” will be constant front page news in the right wing rags that pushed for it… but we’re not there quite yet… only a few years to go… some working in the media will be lining themselves up to get plenty of well paid work using that line though. She’s not stupid, she’s thinking of her career.

binners

Sarah Vine seems to have done a number of dumb acts.

She married Michael Gove for a start. But she must be truly spectacularly dim to not make the connection between being fleeced at every turn and the unregulated, free-market capitalism she has championed for decades.

Has she reported back on what the sausage rolls were like? I’m taking it we’re not talking about a Ginsters here?

Anyway.. another day, another Tory MP with their snout in the trough

They all must also be pretty spectacularly dim. If someone you didn’t know approached you out of the blue and offered you a huge amount of money to break the law, I don’t know about you but I think I’d be checking out who the **** these people were. Particularly if a couple of your colleagues had just been stitched up in exactly the same fashion a couple of weeks ago. Spectacularly arrogant and just used to doing this sort of shit, or as thick as mince? More than likely both.

nickc

Joins growing list of Tories with the whip removed:

Matt Hancock (money grabbing)

Andrew Bridgen (Conspiracy Theorist and COVID denier )

Julian Knight (collar being felt by the rozzers, allegedly)

Chris Pincher (Sex Pest)

Rob Roberts (Sex Pest)

David Warburton (Sex Pest)

What a fine upstanding group

dissonance

Particularly if a couple of your colleagues had just been stitched up in exactly the same fashion a couple of weeks ago.

Looks like the times and ledbydonkeys were running the same campaign at about the same time. Bentons sale pitch happened early last month according to the times story.
    Wonder if any mps offered their services to both.

Julian Knight (collar being felt by the rozzers, allegedly)

He was under investigation but the met police have dropped the case. The whips office havent restored it though due to “further complaints“.

Poopscoop

Isn’t there another Tory MP that’s in the news, name withheld, for ending up in a brothel and calling another Tory MP for advice as how to extricate himself?

I *think* that’s the advice he was after…

binners

I wonder who Kwasi has the lowdown on, given that he did exactly the same as Hancock with no censure at all?

dissonance

Isn’t there another Tory MP that’s in the news, name withheld

Only seems to have appeared in a couple of papers and then vanished again.

I *think* that’s the advice he was after…

If I was in charge of a company with the same number of employees as tory mps and the same number of problems I would be asking my hr boss if there might just possibly be something not quite right with our recruitment process.

dissonance

I wonder who Kwasi has the lowdown on, given that he did exactly the same as Hancock with no censure at all?

Hancock had the whip withdrawn for going on “i am a celebrity”.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,361 through 2,400 (of 9,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.