Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 9,083 total)
  • Rishi! Sunak!
  • kimbers

Truss voting against NI deal too 🙄

Poopscoop

kimbers
    Truss voting against NI deal too 🙄

I think most of the country would agree that whatever Truss says or does, everyone else should always do the polar opposite!

kelvin

I’m sure both Johnson and Truss have clear plans for an alternative for NI, and aren’t just stirring it up for Sunak & Hunt and trying to look like heroes to the party members who elected them both and rejected both the current inhabitants of Downing Street.

martinhutch

Can anyone think of a reason why Rishi Sunak would decide to publish his tax returns at this exact moment?

tjagain

*scratches head*

Seems a really inconvenient moment with all the other stuff happening  in the HOC.

martinhutch

Weird choice anyway. If there’s dirt in it, probably in time for the morning editions, and would do his ‘friend’ Boris a favour by knocking him off the front pages.

dissonance

I am sure its pure chance and not him hoping the front pages will be already written by the time he gets round to sending it out at 10pm or something.

Poopscoop

Now, if Sunak has paid over £1m in tax over the last 3 years… Imagine how much he should have paid if he was one of us Plebs unable to pay expensive accountants to duck and dive taxes?😉

TiRed

I wish I could pay my PAYE taxes at the rate the Prime Minister is paying his taxation. Don’t we all wish for a 20% tax rate on all income? A few years ago my tax rate was 51%. I think this will backfire on him as neither him nor his wife appear to be paying their dues. I would, however, imagine the paltry PM salary is PAYE.

binners

I’m just waiting for him to try and justify it by commenting on the amount of VAT he has to pay on the cost of heating his swimming pool

Caher

I need to marry an extremely rich heiress whose father has a crap IT services company. And likes pubs and football.

Poopscoop

An expert was on tv simply stated that the tax system in the UK favours the highly wealthy as much of their money is in capital gains?

Sounds depressingly plausible.

Either way, every time he says his much he is helping people I just want to bend down and flick him in the eye.

Had to have a conversion today with my lad to tell him that I won’t be able to help him (and by extension my grandson) very much financially for a good few months for “reasons”. He never asks for help, he hates it but I know he needs the help.

He and his partner are both working full time but struggling. It’s shit.

Earlier today he had to pay £50 to see a dentist as he can’t get seen on the NHS anywhere. Infected gum where a wisdom tooth is booming through. Going to be another £250 of the infection doesn’t clear up and out needs removing. He just hasn’t got the money for that so I’ll just have to find the money to help.

Just to be crystal clear- I know bloody well that we are *still* in a far better position than millions of other poor bloody sods out there!

kimbers

pretty sure this is an outlier
    but !

ernielynch

pretty sure this is an outlier but !

I’m not sure it is. A post-budget Survation poll suggests that voters weren’t hugely impressed with the budget.

Post-Budget Polling Shows Conservatives Failing to Turn Fortunes Around

Yesterday’s announcement of an increase in inflation won’t help the Tories either, even if it is likely to be temporary.

intheborders
    Free Member

The only folk only paying 22% tax on income are those with a high percentage of unearned income or those working part-time on the minimum wage – the rest are paying far, far more.

binners

I’m not sure it is. A post-budget Survation poll suggests that voters weren’t hugely impressed with the budget.

Giving a massive tax break to the very richest in the country, while everyone else sees their real incomes fall, isn’t a vote-winner after all?

Who knew?

thecaptain
    Free Member

The only folk only paying 22% tax on income are those with a high percentage of unearned income or those working part-time on the minimum wage – the rest are paying far, far more.

The only thing I will say in defence of the low CGT rate is that it’s levied on the numerical increase without any allowance for inflation.

If your 100k asset is worth 110k after a year, you haven’t actually made anything at all in real terms with inflation at 10%. So taxing the 10k on the basis that it’s a “gain” is manifestly unfair.

(taxing wealth on the other hand would be eminently reasonable).

There used to be indexation relief for CGT, which made the calculations a pain in the neck if you’d bought and sold a particular share multiple times over a number of years. but was at least rational.

BillMC

It’s no more unfair than paying more taxes through fiscal drag.

kelvin

So taxing the 10k on the basis that it’s a “gain” is manifestly unfair.

If you manage to get a cost of living increase to match inflation and keep your real income the same (unlikely for most people) you still get taxed based on the whole of your income, and the “extra” wage will be taxed at the highest rate applicable, leaving you worse off in real terms. Cry no tears for people being taxed on (some of) their inflating asset prices.

kelvin

Rishi Sunak saved £300,000 in tax thanks to cut he voted for in 2016

PM’s tax bill would have been higher had Tories not cut top capital gains rate

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2023/mar/23/rishi-sunak-saved-tax-capital-gains-cut-voted-for-in-2016

intheborders
    Free Member

If your 100k asset is worth 110k after a year, you haven’t actually made anything at all in real terms with inflation at 10%. So taxing the 10k on the basis that it’s a “gain” is manifestly unfair.

It’s only taxed if you realise the gain, not because your asset has risen in value.

He’s ‘realised’ a lot of gains.

martinhutch

He’s ‘realised’ a lot of gains.

Good that he’s taken a view of our economic prospects and has decided to dump loads of stock, regardless of CGT.

theotherjonv

So SKS has published his, and is paying about 33% on his earnings of around 150-200K per year (359 total, 118 paid in tax) vs Rishi paying just over a million in tax against £4.7M earnings (22%)

Klunk
    Free Member

So Sunak’s taking his culture war to Banksy. He really has his finger on the pulse!

binners

After ten+ years of cuts, the police haven’t got the manpower to investigate rape cases and now they’re going to spend their time handing out fines for vandalism, are they?

Yet more government by Daily Mail headline

From the Guardian article… it’s like a tick list for gammons. Another one to file with the 40 new hospitals and Rwanda flights in the ‘things that will never actually happen’ section…

Victims of crimes will also be given a say over the type of punishment that offenders should face, as will communities, under an “immediate justice” scheme to be unveiled by Rishi Sunak on Monday.

In an attempt to show that “justice is being done”, offenders will be made to wear jumpsuits or hi-vis jackets and work under supervision. Cleaning up graffiti, litter-picking or washing police cars have all been given as possible punishments

MSP

The tories hate normal people laughing.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-65079772

Grand scale hypocrisy from pill head and nose powder connoisseur Gove.

Edukator
    Free Member

Hypocrisy maybe, but I agree with banning the sale of laughing gas. On the other hand I’d legalise cannabis.

willard

@Edukator That’s a whole different can of worms.

I can’t really comment much about laughing gas, despite seeing the empty canisters everywhere in some parts of Stockholm (and people buying it for their culinary cream foamers…), but cannabis has a production tail that is really bad for the people at the end.

That said, I’d agree that legalising it via sale of known-good, legally produced cannabis from registered businesses would be a general positive. But it would require the government to accept it as a legal drug (never gonna happen), tax it appropriately (I.e. not massively) and to have the resources to find and prosecute illegal production, import or distribution, something that the police are woefully I’ll equipped for now.

Northwind

Interesting how when they get advisory decisions about, say, brexit, or MP wages, those must be followed. But when they ask for advice about drugs, they can do the opposite.

It’s already illegal to supply, of course, with the exact right legislation in place to tackle any abuse problem at the dealing and supply end. It’s just that this legislation isn’t used much, partly because of resourcing but mostly because of the levels of harm- do you want your drug squad chasing down NOS dealers or crack dealers? That decision’s already been made, at government level and at local level.

This is entirely about criminalising possession, which means it’s essentially about criminalising urban-dwelling young males between 18 and 25 with lower than average levels of education and earnings. I bet you one million pounds that most arrests from this are of black inner city kids, and one hundred million pounds that most searches are the same.

Gove- yes gove the cokehead- openly admits it’s not about public safety, or about drug harms, or about actually stopping drug abusing behaviour. It’s about littering. Bloody littering! Which oh yes is also illegal already but not really enforced because of the exact same thing as above. And dropping the spent cans in a park can’t trigger the new possession offence anyway as they’re empty!

Sure laughing gas can be harmful, in extreme cases. Abuse should be discouraged, sanely. But there is absolute no possibility that it’s as harmful as a criminal record. Laughing gas might be a gateway drug, probably not but it’s possible, and it might be a fair indicator of other criminality. But there’s no possibility that it’s as much of a gateway as a criminal record for possession. It might be an overall harm to society, but not as much as putting more stress on the justice system for no gain, never mind the other harms.

It’s theatre, obviously, but it’s also pure tory maliciousness. They can find theatre that doesn’t “coincidentally” ruin people’s lives for no gain whatsoever, but given the choice, that’s what they want to do.

Luckily it’ll not actually be used much, because again, not enough police and it’s a low level offence. Oh except that it’s an ideal low level offence for harrasing kids of the officer’s choosing and making fishing trip stops and searches with no probably cause other than “you are young”. But I’m sure there’s no danger of the <checks notes> still institutionally racist Met doing anything bad with that.

dudeofdoom

Quick another set of laws for er stuff we have laws for already.

Can’t we just appoint the street judges and dispense instant justice 🙂

Klunk
    Free Member

binners

More primary colours, AND CAPITAL LETTERS IN BIG BLOCKY FONTS

They’ve even underlined all the rufty tufty words in red to let you know how serious they are

dudeofdoom

Hypocrisy maybe, but I agree with banning the sale of laughing gas. On the other hand I’d legalise cannabis.

IMHO there’s a market for a state controlled happy ‘drug’, the only way you’ll ‘win’ the war on drugs is to change the nature of the game.

dudeofdoom

Good old JD vintage ‘77 and still valid today 🙂

greyspoke
    Free Member

IMHO there’s a market for a state controlled happy ‘drug’, the only way you’ll ‘win’ the war on drugs is to change the nature of the game

I agree partly. Society couldnt cope with too wide a variety of substances (socially, in terms of healthcare, policing and so on). But there should be some options for folk who want to get happy/off their face and don’t like or have issues with alcohol.

I think characterising dealing with illegal drugs as a war may be part of the problem though.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

Reads better without any of the block capital words.

Introducing for perpetrators, illegal drugs in anti social behaviour hotspots.

Litter, graffiti and fly tipping for the public, to report antisocial behaviour.

I think characterising dealing with illegal drugs as a war may be part of the problem though.

Just another way of dividing and conquering.

As noted. There is a demographic being targeted here. Young males, oddly enough, not those being sent to Harrow or Eton.

frankconway

Tougher punishment? In what way and will magistrates take much, if any notice, when sentencing?

Cracking down? How? Where are the resources and how will results be made visible?

Increasing police and uniformed officer presence?
    Have the police signed upto this? Have they even been consulted? When will the additional numbers required to deliver this be available for deployment?

Launching a new tool? Only for it to be ignored.
    As for tools, the gov is full of them.

Higher fines? Over to the magistrates, again.

If it wasn’t for the fact sunak is a non-smoking teetotaller, I would have said this was written on the back of a fag packet down the pub at the end of a long night.

binners

Cor blimey guv’no 😂

martinhutch

Cor blimey guv’no 😂

Dick van Reich.

MSP

Hopefully the digital tool to report antisocial behaviour will be overloaded with reports at the next tory party conference.

Viewing 40 posts - 2,281 through 2,320 (of 9,083 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.