• This topic has 9,004 replies, 349 voices, and was last updated 6 days ago by binners.
Viewing 40 posts - 7,721 through 7,760 (of 9,005 total)
  • Rishi! Sunak!
  • martinhutch

You don’t get to permanent secretary without knowing where the bodies are buried

This is the interesting bit for me. Feels like the desperate flailing to shut down the Times story at the weekend was motivated by the next couple of layers of the onion which may start getting peeled away if it turns out to be true.

If Staunton was instructed to slow down the process to recompense Subpostmasters, the purpose of it was to not expose the government finances to additional liabilities in the run-up to the election. The potential liabilities to SPMs are in the hundreds of millions.

It seems likely that this instruction would have not just come from Badenoch, but from Hunt, whose main task right now is trying to generate some headroom for tax-cutting in the run-up to the election.

theotherjonv

It’s not quite the smoking gun that was hoped for. I mean, it’s a gun, and there’s some smoke nearby but it’s not clear it came from the barrel.

From BBC

“Now was not the time for dealing with long-term issues,” the memo said, and that the Post Office needed a plan to “hobble” up to the election.

In response to the memo, a government source said issues around Post Office finances were “a matter of public record” and did not include sub-postmaster compensation, which is being “fully-funded by the government”.

“Henry Staunton is either confused or deliberately mixing up the two issues,” the source said, adding that he should “apologise to the government and the postmasters”.

Mr Staunton’s memo indicates the conversation appears to have been broader than merely discussing compensation for the sub-postmasters.

Sources close to Mr Staunton said he understood from the conversation that “long term issues” included the compensation payments to victims of the scandal.

but if Gov stick to the ‘ah, when we said there’s no appetite for long term issues we didn’t consider the compensation that has been going on for years to be long term’ then it’s easy to just paint it as a bit of confusion.

(just as an aside, can anyone else hear a duck?)

binners

In the meantime, it looks like the argument between Jimmy Dimly and Immigrations InspectorDavid Neal is hotting up nicely too.

You can understand it really. If you’ve a grudge against any of this lot, which I’m sure plenty of senior servents have, why not help bury them as they’ll all be gone in a couple of months anyway

Apparently Rishi and co’s mates have been flying in and out of the country on their private jets without any immigration or visa checks. Who’d have thunk it?

winston
    Free Member

Yes that was my first thought too – I was expecting a bit more than that.

I think the problem is that to someone like Staunton who has decades of dealing with ministers and civil servants of the slightly older school with some intelligence and even a few principals, the making public of a nuanced discussion like this WOULD have been a resigning matter for the minister involved.

However this lot have moved the goalposts so far that these days only an email from Badenoch stating how she’d personally rip up any cheques written to a sub-postmaster before the election and flush them down the toilet would do the trick. He may well have miscalculated and attributed too much to people reading between the lines – I think she’ll get away with it.

winston
    Free Member

“Apparently Rishi and co’s mates have been flying in and out of the country on their private jets without any immigration or visa checks. Who’d have thunk it?”

Hmmm I wonder how many Russian Oligarchs were on those jets carrying suitcases full of used 50s for various lobbying purposes…..

nickc

but if Gov stick to the ‘ah, when we said there’s no appetite for long term issues we didn’t consider the compensation that has been going on for years to be long term’ then it’s easy to just paint it as a bit of confusion.

But every one knows that the only real way of changing the medium/long spending plans in the Post Office are changing either compensation or replacing Horizon. That’s it, there’s nothing else to talk about.

kelvin

Wish I hadn’t chosen to listen to PMQs this week… the PO stuff is already a mess, and has damaged so many lives, covering up the cover ups and attempting to divert attention elsewhere isn’t the response that anyone deserves. It won’t help Sunak either… he could offer full transparency considering that politicians of all parties have been involved at some stage… he’s just digging a bigger hole for him and his party.

martinhutch

Whether by choice or not, the government appears to be employing the standard Boris tactic for dealing with damaging stories – flood the zone so no-one knows what to focus on.

https://www.independent.co.uk/tv/news/boris-johnson-discusses-his-brilliant-strategy-for-confusing-media-in-resurfaced-clip-b2186272.html

theotherjonv

But every one knows that the only real way of changing the medium/long spending plans in the Post Office are changing either compensation or replacing Horizon. That’s it, there’s nothing else to talk about.

So you can hear the duck too?

theotherjonv

I know it’s the Rishi thread but it’s also a bit general Gov related. The PO scandal is clearly high on the agenda but this one from later on shouldn’t be missed.

Labour’s Ben Bradshaw puts it to Sunak that Kemi Badenoch, the equalities minister, claims she has “engaged extensively” with LGBT organisations while in office, however a freedom of information request reveals she’s not met with “a single one”, but has met “two fringe groups” that campaign against transgender rights.

“What is the problem the prime minister and a section of his party has with transgender people?” Bradshaw asks.

Don’t re-empower these ****s. Use your vote wisely.

kimbers

I suspect this will get lost in the debate over Gaza and the multiple Tory dumpsterfires going on at the moment but seems very serious as well as another headache for Sunak

i feel like this story may take off better than a trident missile

ernielynch

“UK to consider suspending arms exports to Israel if Rafah offensive goes ahead”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/feb/21/uk-to-consider-suspending-arms-exports-to-israel-if-rafah-offensive-goes-ahead

Someone is getting worried :

Ministerial sources said that while no decision had been made about a suspension of arms export licences, the UK had the ability to respond quickly if the legal advice to ministers said that Israel was in breach of international humanitarian law.

At a meeting in Geneva on Wednesday on the Arms Trade Treaty, UK officials were accused by Palestinian diplomats of breaking the treaty by refusing to rescind arms sales after the ICC ruled that Israel must ensure its forces did not commit acts of genocide against Palestinians in Gaza.

Earlier this month The Hague district court ordered the Dutch government to stop the export of F-35 fighter jet parts to Israel within seven days due to the risk of serious violations of international humanitarian law and referred to the ATT and EU policy.

rone

Wow this thread has become a ghost town since all the chaos in Parliament yesterday.

MoreCashThanDash

Wow this thread has become a ghost town since all the chaos in Parliament yesterday.

I think they all debunked to the Starmer thread to blame him for the chaos yesterday.

kerley
    Free Member

Sunak should be forgotten as just waiting for him to call election and lose it now aren’t we? Focus should rightly be on the next PM who is doing a cracking job isn’t he…

ernielynch

I think they all debunked to the Starmer thread to blame him for the chaos yesterday.

But Starmer didn’t do anything!

It’s a well-known fact that Starmer never does anything. Which is why he is such a great leader of the opposition.

stumpyjon

Focus should rightly be on the next PM who is doing a cracking job isn’t he…

20 plus point lead in the polls and on for a cracking majority, yes I’d agree with you Starmer is nailing it.

BruceWee

His approval has been steadily declining for months.

So yeah, definitely nailing it.

jam-bo

At this point, I’ll settle for less shit than rishi.

binners

More fun for Rishi today as his predecessor, who still inexplicably has a large fan club amongst his backbenchers and the membership has now gone full-on, far-right, whacko conspiracy-theory nutjob…

Britain’s ‘deep state’ thwarted my plans, Liz Truss tells US far-right summit

She really is madder than a tube of kittens

I wonder what the little fella thinks of his new role as a lefty member of the ‘Deep State’?

ElShalimo

The fallout from yesterday’s shenanigans continues.
    Who do the Tories want to replace Hoyle? He lets them get away with crap all the time so why do they want him out?

spawnofyorkshire

“I think they all debunked to the Starmer thread to blame him for the chaos yesterday.”

I just popped onto that thread to see how it was going… I now regret that choice.

spawnofyorkshire

Who do the Tories want to replace Hoyle? He lets them get away with crap all the time so why do they want him out?

The ones who get away with the crap aren’t the ones calling for him to go

I’m really not a fan of Hoyle, but it’s he potentially the best of a bad bunch?

Next speaker will be a Tory too, so who would they put forward?

kelvin

Dunno, but the convention is that they’d get to keep their seat and wage. So I suspect they’ll be plenty of Conservatives who’d put themselves forward to avoid having to fight a contested seat at the next election.

kimbers

latest polls show Sunak is still boned

GG8l54AbIAA2NlF

not as bad at savanta

but still terrible

GG8mp2sagAAdcon

Sunak has a month at the latest to call a GE to have it with the locals in May
    I still dont see that happening

kerley
    Free Member

He is in no rush to call the elections as I heard him say just a few days ago how hard he is working to deliver his pledges to everyone, why would he want to stop delivering that great stuff.

ratherbeintobago

@kimbers It’s a bit of a gamble.

Good LEs and it makes his position stronger for the GE, bad LEs (which frankly seems more likely) and he’ll have a load of pissed off local activists who won’t campaign.

dissonance

Probably taking home a shitload of cash for telling the audience what it wants to hear so maybe not mad.

Even without that she has a choice between admitting the plans she had for years and schemed to the top of the tory party for were in fact shit or blaming someone or something else.

Given the position of power she was in she has to go for deep state as the evil opponents.

rone

Get ready for the Tories to celebrate lowering energy prices (not reverting back to the low pre-inflation of course.) And nothing to do with them.

I reckon this is just temporary dip because that’s how it works as things get bumpy.

But the Tories will love it. Also remember everything has gone up loads including anything to do with interest rates and they’ve not gone down. (The general price level.)

brownperson
    Free Member

🤣 This really made me laugh. I know it’s not funny really though. She’s very dangerous. And stupid. A terrifying combination.

binners

Matthew Parris pretty much nailed it….

Fe9FhikWIAIh9cz

binners

I think they all debunked to the Starmer thread to blame him for the chaos yesterday.”

I just popped onto that thread to see how it was going… I now regret that choice.

‘That’ thread is the STW equivalent of Super Hans New Year’s Eve party 😂

Poopscoop

^^ lol 😁

kimbers

the Tories are having a normal one

Truss has has done more (paid) trips to America than speeches in the commons this year & the stuff she said with bannon was bonkers

Sunak has been out courting the Gilet Jones in wales

and lee Anderson has gone full Tommy Robinson

is there a sort of mania that grips a party when they’re stuck consistently 20pts behind in the polls?

frankconway

Gilet Jones 👏
    That’s quite a montage there kimbers and it clearly shows how utterly disfunctional the tories are.

kimbers

Gilet Jones

I’m actually way prouder of that than i should be

bruneep

binners

Seems like it’s a deliberate campaign from the nutjobs. Cruella has waded in with her size 12’s, saying the same thing in the Torygraph

They’re all completely hatstand, aren’t they?

Just wait until she finds out who’s actually been in charge of Britain for the last 14 years

E89E7A27-A333-4592-B3E7-D4E31CC21EE4

martinhutch

This sums up the Truss fandango quite nicely:

ernielynch

is there a sort of mania that grips a party when they’re stuck consistently 20pts behind in the polls?

Anderson’s comments are very similar to those made by David Cameron 18 years ago:

https://www.itv.com/news/2016-04-20/mps-shout-racist-at-david-cameron-as-he-launches-attack-on-sadiq-khan

It didn’t help Zac Goldsmith to win the London Mayoral election, in fact it almost certainly backfired and helped Sadiq Khan.

There is no reason to believe that the latest anti-Khan islamophobia by the Tories will be any more productive.

Viewing 40 posts - 7,721 through 7,760 (of 9,005 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.