Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Ripping CDs and encryption
  • Stoner
    Free Member

Im trying to rip some older Deutsche Grammaphon CDs (Brahams Piano Concertos) and WMP11 wont do it. Doesnt say why not, but it just spits out the CD with a message: “Windows Media Player cannot rip one or more tracks from the CD.”

It was recorded/manufactured in 1997 so it cant have a particularly powerful encryption on it, surely? Anyone know of an agricultural bit of freeware that can rip and tag these CDs for me?

CD is clean, no scratches etc.

Stoner
    Free Member

And having exactly the same problem with a Deutsche Grammaphon recording of Sibelius symphonies.

Thing is I cant find any mention of this problem online.

Cougar

What’s the record label? Sony?

clubber
    Free Member

Can you play it ok on the computer?

If so, you could use mp3mymp3 or similar to rip it.

flyingmonkeycorps

Audiograbber?

Stoner
    Free Member

Deustsche Grammafon is owned by Universal Music.

Yep plays OK.
    MediaMonkey wont rip it becuase it says I need to upgrade for a codec. But it will play it.

Will have a look at mp3mymp3

DezB
    Free Member

I use CDex, never failed me.
    http://cdexos.sourceforge.net/

Cougar

Have a punt with CloneCD maybe?

EDIT – good call on CDex, wasn’t aware it did protected discs though? (Assuming that’s what the problem is)

Stoner
    Free Member

just downloading CDex (I always rate sourceforge stuff)

Stoner
    Free Member

Brilliant. Cheers Dez, that’s ripping fine now.

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Which track is it? Some rippers struggle when the CD has an Emphasis Flag which is either set at the start of the disc if all track require Emphasis or before the track that requires if it is a specific track.
    It would be odd though for a 1997 recording to have Emphasis as its not used that much any more.
    Can’t offer any help that doesn’t require specific hardware, apart from analogue capture then MP3 convert.

Stoner
    Free Member

whats Emphasis?

nobtwidler
    Free Member

Emphasis – Not worth worring about unless you spend time editing CD PQ subcodes 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Ripping CDs and encryption’ is closed to new replies.